• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I’m gonna put this here- Robert Gore- ring a bell?

rick601

Inventor of Goretex, died recently. (Obit in today’s WSJ) he discovered it while trying to make PTFE (pipe thread tape) go further! The 3.8 billion dollar company is owned by the family and employees. Since so much of our gear involves this stuff it seemed appropriate to mention here. I’ll defer to mods judgement of course. (No choice)

And the fly fishing hall of fame...and any other that involves staying dry without sweating. I look back at the days of plastic/neoprene waders and shudder. Not to mention non-breathable rain gear. He sure did make life more comfortable for a lot of people in a lot of arenas.

Interestingly, I don't believe BMW uses Goretex-- in their gear- don't they have some proprietary material that "works just as well [said the salesguy]"

Gore-Tex

Inventor of Goretex, died recently. (Obit in today’s WSJ) he discovered it while trying to make PTFE (pipe thread tape) go further! The 3.8 billion dollar company is owned by the family and employees. Since so much of our gear involves this stuff it seemed appropriate to mention here. I’ll defer to mods judgement of course. (No choice)

One of the great products of the last 50 years. I remember the days of touring and carrying a pair of rubber gollashes to slip over my leather riding boots and then discovering they weren't tall enough so the water just poured in. Got my first pair of Gore-Tex boots after that and was always amazed when my feet stayed dry.

Back