• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100 Clutch "Chatter"

mzeitz

Hi All, I have a question for all the gurus here: My '99 R1100R has about 48,000 miles on it, I've had it about a year and a half and don't have any idea of the service history before I owned it. I've put about a thousand miles on it since doing a scrambler conversion and the past couple of weekends I have had it on a couple of trail riding/camping trips; after I got back from the last trip I parked it for a week or so and when I fired it up this morning I noticed kind of a chatter or shake when engaging the clutch in first gear. I took it out for a 1/2 hr on the freeway to get it warm and it improved somewhat but still shakes if I ride the clutch from a stop. It's totally rideable and just starting out from a stop normally or shifting gears it's fine. The only scenario where I think it would be noticeable might be starting out on a steep hill.

Of late I've been getting out into some pretty remote areas and not being familiar with the failure modes I'm a little concerned about getting stuck somewhere. If it's clutch wear I imagine I would notice it starting to slip (it's not) but I guess if the splines let go that would be game over at that point. I've heard about the dry spline syndrome and I had planned on tearing it down over the winter and addressing whatever it needs at that time, but I'd like to get a few more trips in before monsoon season starts (I'm in Seattle). I had planned on meeting friends to camp out on the coast next week and getting a couple days of off-road riding in on the way out, so just wondering if there's anything I can look at short of removing the trans (is anything accessible removing the starter, for example?)

Thanks!

Update

Tonight just for a goof I went out to the garage and gave 'er a few hard brake stand pulls and whaddyaknow, everything seems normal, none of the chattering/shaking like earlier. Just doesn't like to be ignored for a week is what I figure. May be.

Back