• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My 2004 R1200CL won't start, Fuel pump?

djcondie

The bike was running when I parked it last night, now it won't start. It turns over but that's all. Could it be the fuel pump? How can I check to see if it is the fuel pump? Any other suggestions as to why it isn't starting? Thanks,Dave,

The bike was running when I parked it last night, now it won't start. It turns over but that's all. Could it be the fuel pump? How can I check to see if it is the fuel pump? Any other suggestions as to why it isn't starting? Thanks,Dave,

Remove one fuel injector, leaving the pipe and wires connected. Aim it at a suitable container and crank the engine. If it squirts robustly the fuel pump is OK. If it dribbles the pump might be the problem.

Does the CL have the square white connector from the fuel plate to the main harness? (below the right rear of the tank on the RT and RS) If that's not making good contact, the bike won't start.
Do you have all lights operational?
Check all fuses; if the CL is wired like the RT or RS, then F5 powers the Motronic (brain) and F6 powers the fuel pump. Each is 10 amps.

After taking Paul"s suggestion, it appears that I am not getting fuel to the injector so I have ordered a new fuel pump. To be delivered next Tuesday.

After taking Paul"s suggestion, it appears that I am not getting fuel to the injector so I have ordered a new fuel pump. To be delivered next Tuesday.

Before spending more money, you might want to check the fuel line hoses inside the tank. I believe they have a history of deteriorating over time resulting in the symptoms you are seeing.

Since it looks as if your planning on replacing the fuel pump, consider replacing the "U" shaped fuel line that is in the tank with a flexible fuel line from "euromotoelectrics"
It's this OEM fuel line which degrades over time and will cause you grief. Many that appear too be in good shape with the naked eye have cracks in the radius of the hose which may be undetectable until pressure is exerted on it from the inside

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-hosekit.htm

A good time to swap out the fuel filter as well

You will most probably never have to go into your fuel tank again

Footnote:

When I replaced the fuel pump on our 1100RT as have others, I changed out this fuel line and moved the fuel filter outside of the fuel tank, it's not visible on the RT as the moved filter is covered by the plastic body panel. Could be different on your bike depending on where you would mount the filter

SUCESS!!! After replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, and screen The bike started right up. Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice from you all. Dave

Back