Thread: 2020 Suckers and Losers Tour

2020 Suckers and Losers Tour

Forty years ago we rode the waves aboard the favorite ship of my career, the USS Joseph Strauss DDG-16

Once known as "The Fastest Ship in Pearl Harbor" with a speed of 35.7 knots.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Joseph_Strauss

I was the Weapons Officer, Robert (Burt) Upchurch was the Main Propulsion Assistant, and Mark Bauer was the Communications Officer.

L to R - Me, Bauer, Upchurch.

Burt has long been a motorcyclist, on the order of Abercrombie FJR, a confirmed bachelor, he has three motorcycles in his living room, has eight or ten depending upon if you count the Norton's in boxes in the basement, and has long been the President of the Washington DC Norton Owners Club. His ride for this adventure was a '14 BMW GS "Superba" as in "superb". This was my first time riding with Burt.

Mark, worked in the Cellular industry and did rather well. Mark , also a long time rider, is also a pilot. He recently sold his T-28 and purchased a T-34 which he flies around his home in Tuscon and in airshows around the country. Mark was on a brand new BMW R1250 GS HP. Mark rode with me to Inuvik in 2017. Mark named the trip.

Kip Walker, Marks step-brother, also rode with Mark and I to Inuvik in 2017 aboard the infamous Buell, Kip was a soldier long ago. On this trip he was aboard his Triumph 850 Tiger.

Day 1 - Spearfish to Laramie WY

Day 2 - Laramie WY to Alamosa CO down the spine of the Rockies

Day 3 - a loop ride out of Alamosa - to Chama NM for breakfast and a rendezvous with the "Commo" then a circuitous route to Taos for lunch and back to Alamosa over a little bit of gravel.

Day 4 - Alamosa CO to East Portal, deep in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
    The Relive operator screwed the pooch today.
    somehow the pause button got pushed early in the day
    We left Alamosa about 0800 and took a rambling route to the East Portal. Highlights of the ride were lunch in Lake City, The North Rim of the Black Canyon, and some great roads and scenery along the way.

Day 5 - East Portal to Moab via the Grand Mesa, CO 141 through Gateway and South to Naturita then 92 to 191 to Moab

Day 6 - Arrividerci to the Boys at 0630 - Moab to Spearfish via Grand Junction for petrol, Rifle for a Burrito, Rawlins Wy for petrol, Casper, Gillette, Moorcroft for a quick Splash of gas to arrive in Spearfish at 1745.

The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Nick Kennedy
    Great report and photos
    You guys did well for a bunch of old farts!
    Nick

Thanks for the report. We returned home a few days ago from some of the same areas you rode.
    Maybe we met on the road.
    Did you get caught in the big snow. We had 13 inches in Gunnison.
    Gunnison (13).JPG
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the report. We returned home a few days ago from some of the same areas you rode.
    Maybe we met on the road.
    Did you get caught in the big snow. We had 13 inches in Gunnison.
    No snow for us, we started a week after the snow and saw only a few patches near the roads usually in the shade of a North Slope.

Left Coast Rider
    Great ride report! Glad it went well for you.

Excellent report John, and very cool display. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2000 R1200C

Thank you John

DDG brings back memories. Sometime in the early '80, I was at the Portland, OR shipyard working as a marine electrician. I don't remember the name or number of the ship. That was one year of employment for me. I work on a weapon system in the CIC ,bridge and above the bridge. Good trip.
    Last edited by EUGENE; 09-21-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    DDG brings back memories. Sometime in the early '80, I was at the Portland, OR shipyard working as a marine electrician. I don't remember the name or number of the ship. That was one year of empolyment for me. I work on a weapon system in the CIC ,bridge and above the bridge. Good trip.
    I know that the USS Henry B. Wilson DDG 7 was overhauled in Portland in the early 80's.

Yep that was the one DDG-7! Thanks John for jogging my memory of 40 years ago. Hard times but good times.