• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT - where is the 50 amp fuse??

Milo172
My 2014 RT with 45000 miles has decided not to charge the battery.
The service manager at my favorite dealer has suggested that the problem may be the 50 amp fuse. He even sent me service photos of its location.
Having a spare 50 amp fuse, I was eager to replace this fuse, but I can not locate it. It is not in the location depicted in the service manual, and I don’t see it anywhere, which is hard to believe since it’s bolted to the frame with wires at both ends.
Anyone know the location of this fuse on the 2014 RT? and no, it is not next to the main computer.
HELP.

Hard to believe, BUT...

My 2014 RT does not have the fuse box that sits beside the main computer.
I’m at a loss, My bike doesn’t look like any of the service manual photos showing that fuse box.
My manufacture date is 3/2014, I’m starting to think that BMW was changing things on the fly with the first RT’s produced.

I had to look it up. If you look in the Oct '13 onward owner's manual the 50 Amp fuse isn't there. :scratch

2020-09-18 17_24_21-Window.png

Pat that's not it. The 50 amp fuse is under the seat but you can't see it since it's in a holder. Your dealer I'm sure sent you the correct info. Look at the picture in the link Liaison sent, it has a picture of it's location.

Pat that's not it. The 50 amp fuse is under the seat but you can't see it since it's in a holder. Your dealer I'm sure sent you the correct info. Look at the picture in the link Liaison sent, it has a picture of it's location.

See attached, I just took a picture of it in my 14R1200RT,
50 Amp holder.jpg

My 2014 RT with 45000 miles has decided not to charge the battery.
The service manager at my favorite dealer has suggested that the problem may be the 50 amp fuse. He even sent me service photos of its location.
Having a spare 50 amp fuse, I was eager to replace this fuse, but I can not locate it. It is not in the location depicted in the service manual, and I don’t see it anywhere, which is hard to believe since it’s bolted to the frame with wires at both ends.
Anyone know the location of this fuse on the 2014 RT? and no, it is not next to the main computer.
HELP.

In my effort to help you I trusted my BMW Repair CD, it's not correct for the 14 Wethead, the 50 amp fuse isn't located as described.

Maybe early 2014 RT’s don’t have THE fuse

Unfortunately, the photo posted by Strataj is correct. There is not a fuse holder on the right side of the main computer.
I thought that perhaps THE fuse was hiding under the computer so I disconnected the computer and removed it from the RT. Sadly there is no 50 amp fuse located under the computer. Now I find myself wondering if the early 2014’s did not have this fuse that protects the Alt and its requirement only became obvious later. After all, the existence of the 50 amp fuse is not mentioned in the 2014 owners manual, in fact a picture of the fuse holder is also non-existent.
I also have a copy of the 2017 owner’s manual and it covers the replacement of the 50 amp fuse and shows the fuse holder.
So, my question is, did BMW hide the fuse in the 2014 of omit it entirely?

I've never looked under a Wethead seat, but I do know that fuses come in many different sizes and shapes, so maybe a picture of the fuse will help.

Realoem.com shows a 50A fuse, part number 61138365901, that fits a lot of BMW cars, and these bikes:
K50 (R 1200 GS, R 1250 GS)   (10/2011 — 02/2020)
K51 (R 1200 GS Adv., R 1250 GS Adv.)   (09/2012 — 02/2020)
K52 (R 1200 RT, R 1250 RT)   (01/2013 — 12/2019)
K53 (R 1200 R, R 1250 R)   (11/2013 — 12/2019)
K54 (R 1200 RS, R 1250 RS)   (06/2014 — 12/2019)

fuse.jpg

4 is the fuse, 5 the screws that attach it, and 6 is the fuse holder.

Max BMW lists it for $8.02

If I were to place a fuse in the charging circuit, I'd probably put it between the alternator and battery, so maybe you could trace the positive lead from the battery toward the alternator and find it?

I would look between the voltage regulator and the battery.

If the alternator isn't charging, I would check the R/R and then the stator.

Checking the Stator

Reading the Haynes Service and Repair Manual:

“The Alternator is mounted inside the engine on the back of the crankcase. Remove the engine from the frame, then remove the gearbox...”

Well, that seems a bit over the top just to see if the stator is OK.

So I guess I will keep looking for the 50 amp fuse. Please, can anyone confirm that is exists on the early 2014 RT’s?

Based on Strataj's photo above, I would advise you look under the Main Computer right beneath the riders seat.
On the 2016, here's where the 50A Fuse holder is and how to get to it if you needed to replace it.
Hope this helps.

IMG_5309-M.jpg

IMG_5310-M.jpg

IMG_5311-M.jpg

IMG_5312-M.jpg

IMG_5313-M.jpg

IMG_5314-M.jpg

IMG_5315-M.jpg

IMG_5316-M.jpg

FWIW the F800 bikes had no fuses for most production years then suddenly around 2013 a 30A main fuse appeared.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I have removed the computer hoping to find the 50 amp fuse, but alas, there is neither a fuse holder nor a 50 amp fuse.
The early 2014 RT’s remain a breed apart. I will continue to explore the bike in the area of the battery and report my findings.

Reading the Haynes Service and Repair Manual:

“The Alternator is mounted inside the engine on the back of the crankcase. Remove the engine from the frame, then remove the gearbox...”

Well, that seems a bit over the top just to see if the stator is OK.

So I guess I will keep looking for the 50 amp fuse. Please, can anyone confirm that is exists on the early 2014 RT’s?

You don't need to remove the stator from the engine to test it. All you need is access to the connector. There's a couple of links in the liaison's (20774) post on how to test and what numbers to expect: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91234-Duff-charging-system-%96-is-there-an-inline-fuse

I looked through my Haynes manual, I don't see in the wiring diagram anything about the 50 Amps fuse.
I have read from other posts here and on other boards that the early wetheads had a different stator and some said it was prone to failure. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW may have added the fuse with the stator redesign.

You don't need to remove the stator from the engine to test it. All you need is access to the connector. There's a couple of links in the liaison's (20774) post on how to test and what numbers to expect: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91234-Duff-charging-system-%96-is-there-an-inline-fuse

I looked through my Haynes manual, I don't see in the wiring diagram anything about the 50 Amps fuse.
I have read from other posts here and on other boards that the early wetheads had a different stator and some said it was prone to failure. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW may have added the fuse with the stator redesign.

The strange thing is the computer has the mounting holes for the fuse holder. I have a shop repair CD when the bike first released in Europe in 2013, it list the plug/terminal but has no info as provide in the current repair CD, both show as 61 13
Repair CD.PNG

The search continues for the 50 amp fuse. I have removed almost all the bodywork, the battery, and even the gas tank looking for this elusive fuse, but I remain unsuccessful.
I then followed the three wires from the back of the engine (which should be from the stator) to the rectifier and pulled the plug.
I tested the resistance between the 2 wires, 2 at a time and all combinations came back 0 ohms. I then switched to continuity mode and tested again. All combinations gave a signal sound.
I assume this means the stator has failed, IS THAT CORRECT

Attachments

• 3CF16F75-B826-4C67-B68A-7AB89AC66902.jpeg
    3CF16F75-B826-4C67-B68A-7AB89AC66902.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 107
Back