• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helite: good product good customer service

rick601

Had a low/no speed get-off trying to get to a campsite parking- steep, rocky, rutted and rooted! Goosed it over a hump and bike went down and I flew off. The turtle 2 immediately inflated and I literally bounced over a terrain that undoubtedly would have been cruel to my 73 yr old bones. I literally jumped up totally fine and dealt with the bike (Ignition off and with two nearby campers and my son got the bike upright. It wasn't a tragedy and probably wouldn't have been even with just my normal gear on- but that vest , on that landscape, I'm sure made a possible "situation" a nothing burger! I carry a spare CO2 so I was in business in a few minutes. When I got home I looked for the Helitte 60cc CO2- NONE- not Helite site, not Revzilla, not Amazon and no where else. I emailed a link on the Helite site hoping that in a week they'd get back- if at all (still waiting for a few such vendors!) well- an hour and a half later I get a reply, how many do I want? Hour and a half later I get an invoice that I pay online and immediately get a tracking #. Thanks Helite!

Had a low/no speed get-off trying to get to a campsite parking- steep, rocky, rutted and rooted! Goosed it over a hump and bike went down and I flew off. The turtle 2 immediately inflated and I literally bounced over a terrain that undoubtedly would have been cruel to my 73 yr old bones. I literally jumped up totally fine and dealt with the bike (Ignition off and with two nearby campers and my son got the bike upright. It wasn't a tragedy and probably wouldn't have been even with just my normal gear on- but that vest , on that landscape, I'm sure made a possible "situation" a nothing burger! I carry a spare CO2 so I was in business in a few minutes. When I got home I looked for the Helitte 60cc CO2- NONE- not Helite site, not Revzilla, not Amazon and no where else. I emailed a link on the Helite site hoping that in a week they'd get back- if at all (still waiting for a few such vendors!) well- an hour and a half later I get a reply, how many do I want? Hour and a half later I get an invoice that I pay online and immediately get a tracking #. Thanks Helite!

In no way do I intend to dismiss the good customer service. Aren't life vest CO2 cartridges compatible with the Helite vests?

In no way do I intend to dismiss the good customer service. Aren't life vest CO2 cartridges compatible with the Helite vests?

Probably? If anyone knows for sure that would be helpful. I don’t know if Helite’s excellent customer service would extend to recommending another company’s product- but I’m sure they’d blame a failure on a non- helite cartridge...a not necessarily unreasonable response

A visit to your nearest marine supply store (West Marine) could confirm that possibility.
As and FYI, all life vest must comply with DOT and coastguard regulations incl. inflatable ones using CO2 cartridges.. YMMV

A visit to your nearest marine supply store (West Marine) could confirm that possibility.
As and FYI, all life vest must comply with DOT and coastguard regulations incl. inflatable ones using CO2 cartridges.. YMMV

Thanks! Middle of upstate ny. Brick and mortar anything’s are few and far between but I get the message Hopefully I’ll never again need a 60cc CO2. LOL

I am not persuaded that the Coast Guard has jurisdiction over inflatable anti-collision motorcycle protective gear. I am also unpersuaded that the Coast Guard would have jurisdiction over air bags in cars and trucks which is a far better analogy to a Helite vest than a flotation device in a boat.

I wear my Helite most of the time, great to hear it performed as expected and it saved you from injuries

I am not persuaded that the Coast Guard has jurisdiction over inflatable anti-collision motorcycle protective gear. I am also unpersuaded that the Coast Guard would have jurisdiction over air bags in cars and trucks which is a far better analogy to a Helite vest than a flotation device in a boat.

DOT has jurisdiction over our inland waterways. So, the comment on Coast Guard & DOT jurisdiction for inflatable PFD's seems right. BTW - a 60-gram CO2 cartridge appears to provide 275N or 62-lbs of bouyancy.

DOT has jurisdiction over our inland waterways. So, the comment on Coast Guard & DOT jurisdiction for inflatable PFD's seems right. BTW - a 60-gram CO2 cartridge appears to provide 275N or 62-lbs of bouyancy.

I do not believe that a Helite vest is a Personal Flotation Device. Would somebody who owns one please look and see if there is a Coast Guard approval tag on a Helite vest.

I suppose in a pinch I'd try any 60cc CO2 but generally speaking wouldn't the recommended cartridge be preferred? They make the vest and supply a part that they have faith in- I assume they make money on it but I doubt they just rebrand cheap Chinese stuff. And if they do- well at least I know where they live- so to speak. Small price to pay for some peace of mind. Besides, I wish the company well and choose to support it. Again- I'm grateful for the "marine" recco as (again) in a pinch I'd want something that is in the life-saving business rather than the paint-ball business.

https://shop.helite.com/en/equestrian/25-91-cartouche-co2.html

"You must always use a Helite branded cartridge for your Helite airbag system.

ATTENTION, some retailers offer CO2 gas cartridges at attractive prices.
You must not use these cartridges for various reasons:
- technical compatibility problem (not the same gas volume, screw thread, etc.)
- lower quality compared to Helite cartridges (seal, corrosion, fragility, etc.)
- loss of the CE certification for the product
- proper functioning of the airbag system is not guaranteed."

I do not believe that a Helite vest is a Personal Flotation Device. Would somebody who owns one please look and see if there is a Coast Guard approval tag on a Helite vest.

Paul,

Inflatabale PFD's from companies like Mustang are critical safety gear for people working in extreme (wet and cold) conditions. Rapid and reliable inflation is critical in those conditions, much like the Helite vest. However, Mustang serves militay and Gov't agency markets with high quality standards. I would thrust a 60gram CO2 cylinder from Mustang or similar company as being a good 60gram CO2 cylinder, if the Helite product wasn't available.

When you consider the inflatable PFD technology and the inflatable immobilizers used by EMS crews, the viability and utility of the Helite product is obvious, in my opinion. I wish I had been smart enough to put the pieces together.

BTW - Helite also has a line of products for Seniors called called hip safe, https://senior.helite.com/en/ , which I wouldn't recommend as a PFD.

Paul,

Inflatabale PFD's from companies like Mustang are critical safety gear for people working in extreme (wet and cold) conditions. Rapid and reliable inflation is critical in those conditions, much like the Helite vest. However, Mustang serves militay and Gov't agency markets with high quality standards. I would thrust a 60gram CO2 cylinder from Mustang or similar company as being a good 60gram CO2 cylinder, if the Helite product wasn't available.

When you consider the inflatable PFD technology and the inflatable immobilizers used by EMS crews, the viability and utility of the Helite product is obvious, in my opinion. I wish I had been smart enough to put the pieces together.

BTW - Helite also has a line of products for Seniors called called hip safe, https://senior.helite.com/en/ , which I wouldn't recommend as a PFD.

I don't disagree with any of this. I just don't think a Helite vest is a flotation device and I don't think it is regulated by the Coast Guard. However if I was on a sinking Duck Boat in the Lake of the Ozarks I would certainly be glad to be wearing a Helite vest since the boat captain failed to instruct the (now dead) passengers that they should wear a PFD.

the Helite is designed to deflate slowly after the inflation so would not be a good pfd probsbly end up being an anchor!

I don't disagree with any of this. I just don't think a Helite vest is a flotation device and I don't think it is regulated by the Coast Guard. However if I was on a sinking Duck Boat in the Lake of the Ozarks I would certainly be glad to be wearing a Helite vest since the boat captain failed to instruct the (now dead) passengers that they should wear a PFD.

If you tried to use it as a PFD, it would probably drown you due to the big back bladder. The senior hip guard would be even worse.

Ok- so we all agree that the Helite Turtle probably wouldn’t be the thing to wear jumping into the middle of a cold lake and expect to float for any length of time- if at all- no matter what brand CO2 was used. Can we also agree that it’s the bees knees for jumping off- voluntarily or otherwise- a motorcycle at speed on to a roadway- using a correct CO2- the marine and first responders brand being a reasonable try when helite brand not available?

the Helite is designed to deflate slowly after the inflation so would not be a good pfd probsbly end up being an anchor!

You'd have less than 5 minutes to deflation, so it'll keep ya afloat for a few minutes and not much more.

Back