• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Phone charging / audio connect options on 2011 R1200RT?

westcoastkevin

Hi all,
2011 R1200RT, new to me.
I am trying to understand what to do with regard to charging my phone and possibly connecting to the bike.

The bike:
The bike has the radio option and an aux input.

The bike has a Nuvi 660 gps installed (not NAV from factory). It comes on and shuts off with bike power. It has bluetooth.

There is a black connector in the little compartment on the right side of the dash/cockpit. It has USB-A and 3.5mm Audio jack.
Is that Audio IN/OUT/BOTH?

There is a socket just below the radio controls on the left side.
Is that a DIN connector?
Is that power up to 5a?
Can I plug in a phone charger here?
Is it also for connecting a smart battery charger?

Assumptions I have:
The little connector in the dash compartment. I know that the charging indicator activates on my phone. I do not know if it supplies enough power. If I plug a 3.5mm into my phone, can I play music from my phone to the bike speakers?

Me:
Samsung S10+ phone.
Cardo Packtalk Slim. (bluetooth/mesh)
I have a RAM X-Grip mount on another bike that I will move over the the RT tomorrow.
I am toying with the idea pf permanently installing the Ram wireless charging Grip holder. That way I could avoid plugging in my phone all the time.(wear/risk to the usb-c port on the phone.)

What should I do here?
What have you done?

Regards,
Kevin

I have a 2010RT with basically the same setup. To me, the radio and speakers for the bike are only good at slower speeds and I much prefer to listen to music through my phone (iPhone) via my Cardo and helmet speakers. I do have a USB drive plugged into the cable in the cubby and maybe 5 times in past 2 years I’ve used it to listen to music. I had a iPod plugged in but it didn’t seem to work real well. I think the radio and wonderwheel on the 2010-2013 was an early attempt and did not have much functionality as it does with more modern bikes.

I personally have a power lead that runs to my handlebars though a HEX EZCan that has a USB plug that I use to power
My phone as it powers on and off with the ignition. It is just more convenient to have a power cable permanently wired into the handlebars than run a cable from the DIN sockets on left side by radio controls. But with that socket, I have used it to power a second phone in my tankbag or to charge a device in my tankbag as I have a 2 plug right angle socket that I can plug in there to run a cable to my tank bag. That socket will work with most low power devices but if use care and not try and run anything that draws too much.

There is an online PDF file that has a manual for the radio and the use of the cable and music options for the radio system online if you don’t have a manual. As I said it is a bit older so not as functional as modern bikes as far as music, phone and navigation that newer bikes have better software and control from the wonderwheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply @bicyclenut.
I had not heard of the HEX EZCan device. I am researching it now. I need to see how the Garmin Zumo is currently wired up too. I know it comes on with the key, but have not looked any closer yet.

Are there any hardware orsoftware updates for the bike that can modernize the functionality of the wonder wheel?
Thanks again,

Kevin

This Cllena dual usb charger might just be the ticket to your charging needs. I use one on my R1100S to charge my phone and power a GPS and do the same on my Triumph Tiger. Cllena also makes a panel mount version which is what I use on the Beemer. No issues with either unit after several years of use.

https://tinyurl.com/y6b5lpy3

Cllena usb charger.jpg

Probably your audio uses this setup

There are lots of threads about audio setup, if you can find them using the terrible search engine of MOA. This kind of explains the audio in the most common way to install that does not require wire cutting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303778878620?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Power is rather more simple, either go with a bmw plug to USB charger or adapter or hardwire something under the tupperware. A switched fuseblock is preferred so if you forget to detach/unplug/turn off your accessory you won't have a dead battery in the morning.

Last edited:
Back