• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cycle World ??

drgnhtr

drgnhtr
Has anyone received the quarterly issue that was supposed to have been mailed out the first of August?
I haven't and can't get a reply from customer service.

Never mind. Just found this:

Cycle World, once the largest consumer motorcycle magazine in the United States and now the last remaining motorcycle print publication in the once-large Bonnier Motorcycle Group, will print its last edition in October.

Octane, a powersports finance company, announced that it has acquired the digital assets of the former Bonnier powersports print magazines: Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Dirt Rider, Motorcycle Cruiser, UTV Driver, ATV Rider, and Cycle Volta. While the other publications had ceased appearing in print form, Cycle World was still being published quarterly. "Bonnier Corp. will help produce Cycle World's final print issue in October 2020; existing print subscribers will receive a digital edition beginning in 2021," said the news release.

Last edited:
What magazines I still receive are almost done to pamphlet size :banghead
For another example, Trailer Life and sister magazine Motor Home are about to be combined - apparently.
It’s too bad all these periodicals are biting the dust.......... I sorta understand why.
OM

Sad to see but as with most print media, the specialty periodicals have been in a death spiral for years now. The independent editorial content has been going downhill for over a decade.

Before retirement I was a poor (but honest!) aerospace engineer, not a business weenie, so I have little expertise in these matters. But I find it hard to imagine a business model for print media in these times that succeeds.

Sad to see but as with most print media, the specialty periodicals have been in a death spiral for years now. The independent editorial content has been going downhill for over a decade.

Before retirement I was a poor (but honest!) aerospace engineer, not a business weenie, so I have little expertise in these matters. But I find it hard to imagine a business model for print media in these times that succeeds.

Print or any form of media. Local market TV and Radio is well populated with employees working for exposure and minimal pay.

But, communications degrees are still selling well at Universities

Rest of the world still has analog media

The UK and Oz have plenty moto magazines in their news-stands. They’re not cheap, maybe that’s how they stay in business. People will buy them if they’re published, perhaps?

MCN is a newspaper that’s published once a week over in the UK. I’m not promoting how good (or bad) these publications are, I’m just wondering why...

These days all I have to look forward to is the MOA magazine and the occasional Cycle Gear mailer.

The UK and Oz have plenty moto magazines in their news-stands. They’re not cheap, maybe that’s how they stay in business. People will buy them if they’re published, perhaps?

MCN is a newspaper that’s published once a week over in the UK. I’m not promoting how good (or bad) these publications are, I’m just wondering why...

These days all I have to look forward to is the MOA magazine and the occasional Cycle Gear mailer.

It's a matter of taste, some of us happily went digital before their was a membership option....

I think it was moto-writer Lance Oliver who speculated one time that one thing that helps the UK publications is population density. The UK as approximately 55% the area of California, but has 170% of California's population. Thus specialty businesses (motorcycle dealers, shops, and parts suppliers) are relatively "local" to a large proportion of the population. This makes it more attractive to these businesses to advertise in MCN and other mags. Most of the readers can either ride/drive to the supplier or, at least, shipping will be relatively fast and inexpensive.

It's a matter of taste, some of us happily went digital before their was a membership option....

I've been digital for quite some time in all publications where it's an option. If available, I also happily pay the small monthly subscription fee to avoid seeing the ads.

I also went digital before it was cool, that wasn’t my point, but I still prefer a magazine over an iPad while on the shi8tter.

I will say that Cycle World’s online presence was the worst UX example of going digital. The email click-throughs landed on pages with so many unresponsive pop-ups, page jumps and click-baits (on the iPad), that resulted in making the articles unreadable.

I dropped my subscription when the magazine went quarterly. About that time, it seemed to focus on custom builds and Ducatis more than I was interested in them.

Back