• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear brake rotor on KLT!

Polarbear

Polarbear
I've had two rear rotors replaced now under warrantee and now being out of warrantee, my third is failing! First was noisy squeeky thing; second was untrue and this one now is rattling itself apart....Argggg! I am NOT a heavy rear braker and have a really good knowledge of braking technique, mostly front with some rear thrown in. My racing days taught me much about performance braking, so my style is not ruining these rotors. They're just junk! My question is: Anybody been here, done that? I'm tired of replacing junk with junk! BMW certainly has not been cooperative with a real fix...Just replacements! I've heard a little from others with same issue, but I've not tried here.....Any help? PS; I'm very easy on brakes, as I don't have to replace pads for a long time(40000+) miles easy. I still have original front pads at 70000 miles. My rear pads have about 40000 on them now and no where near worn out.

Are you talking about a K1200LT? The rear brake on mine has been a little noisy for five years, but certainly doesn't rattle. I don't think I could hear it rattle if it was rattling!

I have an 05 LT and the rear brake rotor started grinding and was real loose with just over 6k miles. At the 12K service I asked the dealer to replace the rotor and they did but said "they all do that because they were designed to float." I now have just over 13.5K and the rear rotor is starting to make noises again. I too am a light braker and try not to overload the bike. If "they all do that" I think they could come up with a fix.

Have you tried the www.K1200LT.net website??. Those guys have a wealth of knowledge, :brad and were of great value when I had an LT. There might be a solution :dunno

Thanks for replies, but nothing here either, it seems. When I mentioned rattling rear rotor, I meant you can hear it at slower speeds eg; like in bumpy driveways or secondary roads, where the surface is slightly bumpy. Say, up to about 35 mph.. You can actually grab the rotor with your hand and make it rattle(sideways motion). Not much if any play in the direction of travel(spin). The front rotors don't do this at all and are also floating! I think I'll just keep riding the thing "as is" this time around and see how things progress. The noise is a tad unerving,imo. I personally think the rotors on the rear of LT's are not made to handle such a heavy bike, as this is first goliath Beemer ever built and the brakes are same for much lighter models. The "rear" rotors should be redesigned for an 800+ pound bike. Obviously not heavy duty enough,IMO. All speculation, of course on my part! After 700K beemer miles on my arsss, I should have a tad bit of advice for the Beemer gods! Still doing some things wrong! Me too.....

Rattling rear rotor

I have the same problem on my '02.

I checked the K1200LT forum mentioned above. Two points - 1) it does not appear to be a safety problem. Just very irritating. 2) The fix is to replace the rotor, which apparently is not too hard. See the LT forum (www.bmwlt.com) for guidance. Biggest problem I'm having is the replacement rotor from EBC (not getting bmw's) is back ordered!

Meantime, I recommend ear plugs.

-J

rattling roters

BMW replaced the disk on my 2000 LT after it was out of warranty.
Thanks to Wild West Honda/BMW in Katy Texas.
Within 1000 miles or so it was rattling again. Turn into a gravel or rock road, driveway and it sounded like it was coming apart.

The only solution--buy an RT. The disks are solid mounted to the wheel.

It as amazing that on such a great touring bike BMW refuses to correct something that drives owners nuts. Seems like they refuse to admit an correct their faulty engineering.

Back