• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations on pannier liners for 2011 R1200RT please?

westcoastkevin

Hello,
2011 R1200RT.
The bike is new to me. It does not have pannier liners or a liner for the top case.
I am looking for recommendations on pannier liners / Top box liner for 2011 R1200RT please?
So far, I see a brand called Kathy's but am not finding much else yet.

I would like to know what is good and what is bad out there.
I would like to know if they interchange with other years or models because the listings are often very specific.

I do not need new, but I would like to have decent quality.
I have read the posting guidelines and If you have some to sell, you are welcome to PM me. I think this post is following the rules ok.

Regards,
Kevin

There are some generic ones on eBay and maybe Amazon that are fairly inexpensive but work pretty well. They are rectangular in shape and fit pretty well and generally keep their shape. This is what I first bought although I did have to replace a zipper pull that broke. I still have these but don’t use them.

I replaced these with Kathy’s Journey I bought used. These are well made out of good fabric and also fit well into the case. They are very soft and collapsible but when full they are designed to fill inside the case.

The BMW branded bags are probably the best made and very much designed to fit the case. Quality and with extra pockets and well made but expensive. I found a pair used in perfect shape at a good price. I would not pay new full price but if you can find them used at a good price these are the best liners in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebay / Amazon generic liners
ef506c746aa787b510ab9a4d4727dc6f.jpg

c3621b657a3503916fbdbdd702c75863.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to School backpacks

I’ve used a couple of entry-level Jansport backpacks for years, on more than one bike. I bought the kind that has pretty thin shoulder straps and one outside pocket. They fit really well inside my 2016 RT’s cases when positioned sideways. They also don’t fill the full width of the pannier, leaving room for a fleece, spare gloves, etc. The elastic straps in the panniers hold the bags as well as can be expected and the thin shoulder straps give an unobtrusive carrying option.
https://www.amazon.com/JanSport-Sup...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

On shorter trips, I use tool bags, keeping them open and easy to access the contents. Things don’t fall out when the panniers are open with these bags. Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-13-i...ocphy=9033317&hvtargid=pla-456417838771&psc=1

Cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider...

Another vote for Kathy's. Don't dick around to save a couple of bucks. Their bags are cheap give the quality of the product.

Kevin:

I have had two Kathy's Bags for many years, and they're very good, but I only use one of them when I tour, in the left pannier. In my other "road" pannier I use a textile Safeway grocery bag. This holds my rain suit and gloves, tool kit, tire repair kit and other hardware. With the open top I don't have to remove the bag from the pannier and unzip it if I want to quickly grab something. And the bags are pretty tough.

Kevin - I've had RKA liners for 12 years. I got them originally for my 2008 RT and moved them along to my 2015 RT when I traded in the 2008. BMW changed the interior of the panniers slightly with the wet-head model, but they still fit well.

Richard and Kathie (the "R" and "K") are very easy to work with and their luggage is rugged and good looking. Here is the URL for the R1200RT liners for your model: https://www.rka-luggage.com/A06 Liners/R1200ST_RT/R1200RT_ST.html

I have a set of Cee Bailey side case liners from my 2005. I now have a 2015, so they do not fit. I bought the Bestem linters and they are fine, but definitely not as nice. Send me a PM, I can take some photos for you if you like. I just had not taken them out of my storage bin to post up yet.

John.

I've had the Bestem liners for 5 years now. I do tour a lot and they have mostly stood up.
The only issue was a broken tab on the top case's zipper. That was easily replaced with a cheap tab from ebay.

Back