Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Center stand is touching the oil pan...??

Frame mounts

Another thing to check and I say this from my experience is the center stand's frame mounts. I was having problems getting my 78RS onto and off the center stand only to find out the frame mounts were bent. I had checked the frame for straightness after an accident but neglected to check the center stand mounts. They were skewed off center and once I straightened them, things went back to normal.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the new stand and the old stand. You may find someone had installed the wrong stand. It is obvious from the pictures sent in another post the difference between a /6 and /7 stand when they are side by side, with no part number or number stamped on them, I could see where someone could mix them up if looking at one at a time. Of course, you have some guys who think, Hey, a stand is a stand, those are the guys who drive the next owner crazy because they find a bike that looks good but has a lot of mis matched parts.

So, check the frame mounts, check the holes, check the hardware, and if all is correct, you will be happy. Cheers, St.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Good...that's the way it should be so the stand isn't deformed in any way. It's just the wrong stand!
    Thank you Kurt, that is excellent news. Now, I just need to figure out how to jack/lift the moto carefully, in order to replace the stand, and rebuild the bushings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Another thing to check and I say this from my experience is the center stand's frame mounts. I was having problems getting my 78RS onto and off the center stand only to find out the frame mounts were bent. I had checked the frame for straightness after an accident but neglected to check the center stand mounts. They were skewed off center and once I straightened them, things went back to normal.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the new stand and the old stand. You may find someone had installed the wrong stand. It is obvious from the pictures sent in another post the difference between a /6 and /7 stand when they are side by side, with no part number or number stamped on them, I could see where someone could mix them up if looking at one at a time. Of course, you have some guys who think, Hey, a stand is a stand, those are the guys who drive the next owner crazy because they find a bike that looks good but has a lot of mis matched parts.

So, check the frame mounts, check the holes, check the hardware, and if all is correct, you will be happy. Cheers, St.
    Excellent advice sir, thank you. As soon as I figure out how to lift this machine off the stand, I'll be tackling a thorough inspection.

Does the bike have a side stand? It's not difficult to roll the bike off the center stand, then lean it over onto the side stand. You could secure the bike on the side stand and there should be enough clearance to changeout the center stand. I might be missing some issues there but seems like it could be done.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Another option is to just put down a blanket or other pad and lay the bike on it’s side.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by georgebarthel View Post
    Excellent advice sir, thank you. As soon as I figure out how to lift this machine off the stand, I'll be tackling a thorough inspection.
    I like large eyebolts in the rafters and ratchet tie down straps.
    '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R (gone but not forgotten: '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

Hook

My old dealer had a special hook he made to slip into the back bone of the main frame. That combined with a chain hoist worked very well. I had the same hook made for me and it works well. St.

A lift table works very well!

I'm tired of laying on the concrete or blanket over concrete while I get the center stand and springs mounted and working correctly. If you don't have one it might be well worth the effort to contact local Airhead guys or bike friendly guys to borrow the space for an hour or two in order to get the center stand bolted on and those knukle buster springs set. I also use plenty of tie down straps and a small bottle jack just to make sure the center stand operates smoothly and it seats perfectly deployed and stored. I did the side stand thing one time and vowed never again!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images