• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Amazon not always cheaper

The customer service person I spoke to was working at home and said the entire office staff has been since March. Apparently there are only two copies of the helmet I want in the entire US. One in Florida, and they had one. Hope it fits!

Aren't the Klim helmets re-badged Cabergs?

We toured the Klim HQ in Rigby two years ago. They do their development work there and had prototypes of helmets there for us to see. I do not believe they are a re-badged other brand.

Annie and I both have Klim TK-1200 modular helmets; been wearing them for a year. They are a good helmet, light, reasonably quiet and competatively priced. The TK-1200 comes with a transitions face shield; I am not a fan. My last two helmets (C3 Pro, NeoTech) had a separate flip down sun shield. I like to ride with my face shield up whenever I can with only the sun shield down. With the Klim I lose the benefits of the tinted shield if i ride with the shield up. Additionally, the transition shield has a slight tint to it even in low light level conditions.

Fit: When I got mine it felt very tight, especially on my cheeks. Fairly quickly the helmet adapted to my head and now fits very well.

Not easy to fit

Aren't the Klim helmets re-badged Cabergs?

The Revzilla review says the Klim K1R is a modified and lightened lid based on the Lazer Kestrel. It turns out that the neck pain I've been experiencing riding is due to the 4.7lb weight of my old Nolan N104, but a 3lb helmet doesn't give me problems. All of those are $500+ carbon fiber hats. However, it also turns out that I have a very round head, and there are essentially no "round" helmets imported into the US. All are some type of oval, the least oval of which is called "round oval". I got this info by using a measuring device and a database report from lidpicker.com which is a part of motorcyclegear.com. Their $20 kit allows you to measure your head width, length, and circumference, and then get a report of helmets that should fit you. I had zero matches! Now I understand why virtually all helmets I've tried were tight on the sides, and why I would have to go a size up from what I should wear to find something tolerable.

From lots of searching in the 'net, this Klim K1R is the only "round oval" carbon fiber sub-3lb full face touring helmet (meaning with appropriate touring features) on the market. There are a very few full-face helmets which are almost round, and actually have peal away liners to get more round, but they are just under or at 4lbs so non-starters for me. You can't imagine what I've found out about helmet design and fitment over the last two weeks of spending hours searching the 'net.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-k1r-raw-karbon-helmet

We toured the Klim HQ in Rigby two years ago. They do their development work there and had prototypes of helmets there for us to see. I do not believe they are a re-badged other brand.

Annie and I both have Klim TK-1200 modular helmets; been wearing them for a year. They are a good helmet, light, reasonably quiet and competatively priced. The TK-1200 comes with a transitions face shield; I am not a fan. My last two helmets (C3 Pro, NeoTech) had a separate flip down sun shield. I like to ride with my face shield up whenever I can with only the sun shield down. With the Klim I lose the benefits of the tinted shield if i ride with the shield up. Additionally, the transition shield has a slight tint to it even in low light level conditions.

Fit: When I got mine it felt very tight, especially on my cheeks. Fairly quickly the helmet adapted to my head and now fits very well.

My other reply describes my special problems with helmet fit - especially on the sides from the tops of my ears on up to the sides of my head. I also got a tour of the Klim facility in Rigby years ago as they were first getting into motorcycle gear. Very impressive operation. Polaris bought Klim in December of 2012 which apparently hasn't hurt them. The K1R also has the Transition face shield and I expect to not like it. I've had a couple of pairs of Transition eye glasses and was often frustrated with them at times when I didn't want the darkening out side, and other times when they took too long to lighten when moving into dark areas. I much prefer the drop down inner visor like you do. However, I'm going for the lightest helmet I can get which meets my other needs and the Transitions face shield saves several ounces of weight penalty of the inner drop down sun shield.

Amazon has lost me- I avoid as best as I can-and money isn't the prime (!) reason. Sellers can be anyone and a significant number of goods sold by secondary sellers have been found to be gray market or counterfeit or targets of safety recall. Besides, like China- they are the elephant in the room-sucking up all commerce (I know- mixed metaphor) I like to spread the commerce! Again for a few bucks extra, or actually less, I can assuage my capitalistic conscience. For deliveries, I've found fed-ex to be the worst- not that they have to be whistling all day- but their drivers seem unhappy, miserable in fact. UPS guy actually seems like part of the neighborhood. Also, no real complaints about USPS- despite occasionally getting neighbors mail.

Amazon has lost me- I avoid as best as I can-and money isn't the prime (!) reason. Sellers can be anyone and a significant number of goods sold by secondary sellers have been found to be gray market or counterfeit or targets of safety recall. Besides, like China- they are the elephant in the room-sucking up all commerce (I know- mixed metaphor) I like to spread the commerce! Again for a few bucks extra, or actually less, I can assuage my capitalistic conscience. For deliveries, I've found fed-ex to be the worst- not that they have to be whistling all day- but their drivers seem unhappy, miserable in fact. UPS guy actually seems like part of the neighborhood. Also, no real complaints about USPS- despite occasionally getting neighbors mail.

Amazon has caught a lot of heat about the problems with some of their sellers, and the products they are selling. I shop carefully if the seller is someone other than Amazon. When something is sold and shipped by a third party I can often find it on eBay for a better price, and often more buyer reviews.

Amazon has caught a lot of heat about the problems with some of their sellers, and the products they are selling. I shop carefully if the seller is someone other than Amazon. When something is sold and shipped by a third party I can often find it on eBay for a better price, and often more buyer reviews.

With ALL on-line sellers, especially Amazon and Walmart and anything on ebay, the cardinal RULE is read the fine print. From Amazon and Walmart I have not found dishonesty: if it a contracted seller they both disclose it. On ebay you can usually count on what little they do say, but must beware anything that should be said that seems to be missing.

FedEx is a joke. I quit using chewing for my dog food because they kept delivering to the wrong houses. Once I found the box under the numbers on the house. The numbers weren't even close to my number. I complained to FedEx. I asked them if their drivers were required to be able to read? No response. I find Amazon more expensive many times. I always check the manufacturer first. It depends on how fast I need the product on who I use.

Looks like the management at your local FedEx facility need to be replaced with someone who understands customer service. If their drivers can't delivery to the correct address and they don't respond to your complaint, then I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to have those jobs and would do an excellent job. Sorry they haven't taken proper care of you, no excuse. :dunno

I've used Chewy.com for years and have had excellent delivery service from FedEx. Same with deliveries by UPS and Amazon too. Just lucky I that the delivery services where I live still take customer service seriously.

With ALL on-line sellers, especially Amazon and Walmart and anything on ebay, the cardinal RULE is read the fine print. From Amazon and Walmart I have not found dishonesty: if it a contracted seller they both disclose it. On ebay you can usually count on what little they do say, but must beware anything that should be said that seems to be missing.

++1 :thumb

I buy a little from EBay, but I buy a lot from Amazon. Yes you need to watch prices, either can be way over priced. I pay for a Prime membership on Amazon so I usually use it for free freight, and usually free returns. Once in a while I have purchased items and returned them.

I have gotten to the point where I hate shopping locally as stores don't have what I want. One friday morning I got going early and shopped for a new laser printer and a replacement pendant light for our family room. By noon I had about given up and picked up my wife up rom work for lunch. We stopped and got burgers and ate in the vehicle. While eating I got out my smartphone, shopped a bit on Amazon and in 15 minutes ordered a printer and light fixture. Where do I go to get my four hours back?

I have never had issues shipping from any company. Some strange shipment tracking, and perhaps a day or two longer, but I usually don't need items that quickly any way.

Amazon is definitely not cheaper a lot of times.

When they “catch” you viewing something a time or two, the price may go up. You may think ”I thought that was cheaper than that“. Well it was.

Best thing to do if you want to keep the original price is to put that item in a “Wish List” the first time you view something that you may buy at a later date. The “Wish List“ price rarely goes up or may go up a few percent. Not 10% or $10 as I’ve seen personally.

The Classic “Bait and Switch”. It’s not just for Snake Oil Salesmen.

Charlie

p.s. Walmart online- You can get the same amount of incompetence and frustration anywhere without giving good money for the experience.

p.s. Walmart online- You can get the same amount of incompetence and frustration anywhere without giving good money for the experience.

With Walmart I find no reason to wrestle with their customer service. I just print a return label and take it to the Fedex box. Same with Amazon except it is usually a UPS return label.

Has anyone ever successfully purchased something online from the Walmart site? I tried for several recent purchases but frankly, their site is so poorly designed and frustrating to use that I've given up on them. If it isn't on the shelf at Walmart or one of the other local stores or big box operations then it's off to Amazon to help Bezos make his alimony payments...

Best,
DeVern

Has anyone ever successfully purchased something online from the Walmart site? I tried for several recent purchases but frankly, their site is so poorly designed and frustrating to use that I've given up on them. If it isn't on the shelf at Walmart or one of the other local stores or big box operations then it's off to Amazon to help Bezos make his alimony payments...

Best,
DeVern

I have tried twice to use Walmart's order on-line and pickup at the store. Both times were a disaster and it would have been far quicker and easier to just go find the items on the shelves and check out through the lines.

Where we're at (120 miles from a Costco or a Wally World), we've used their online delivery service and it's worked well for us. Also using Amazon Prime but no more than we ever have. We just don't travel to the big city very often to shop even before the pandemic.

Where we're at (120 miles from a Costco or a Wally World), we've used their online delivery service and it's worked well for us. Also using Amazon Prime but no more than we ever have. We just don't travel to the big city very often to shop even before the pandemic.

My only real travel for anything retail is MC service..

Best,
DeVern

I use it without any problems. Right now with Covid the site to store is not a option at our store. In the past I would check the web site for bigger purchases because sometimes it's cheaper than the on the shelf price.
I do admit Amazon has a much better website.

We live 53 miles from the nearest incorporated small town. I am 75 with COPD. I do as little in-person shopping as possible while still supporting the local grocery and hardware stores for some things. But we order from Walmart on line at least a couple of times a month without any glitches. A couple of times we decided to return something; printed the return label; and took it to the Fedex box in town with no issues whatsoever.

We live 53 miles from the nearest incorporated small town. I am 75 with COPD. I do as little in-person shopping as possible while still supporting the local grocery and hardware stores for some things. But we order from Walmart on line at least a couple of times a month without any glitches. A couple of times we decided to return something; printed the return label; and took it to the Fedex box in town with no issues whatsoever.

The Walmart product costs the same in-store or delivered to my door. So, like you, we have our Walmart items on the grocery list that we order every couple of months. However, in my case, there's a Walmart store 10-miles from my house.

Back