• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Upstairs smoke detector

It was working fine, then random beeps that weren't cured with a new battery. Think I can get it repaired?

Monkey Ward Smoke Detector - IMG_0772.jpg

I would check ALL of your smoke alarms. Their should be a date somewhere on the device. Also dispose in hazardous waste.

We moved into out home in 1991, there was hard wired smoke detectors in the home and they were old then. They are still there and my wife tests them once in a while when she cooks. she is getting better, she doesn't test them as often.

Even the hard wired alarms have a shelf life. I replaced all of ours after ten years of service. It's a small price to pay for safety and piece of mind. Not a lot of difference between this and the preventive maintenance on our bikes.

Montgomery Ward was the first credit/charge card my wife and I ever had. We got it when we needed to finance a new water heater in our first home back in the early 80's. Tough times, but good times.

Every large shopping mall, at least in Minnesota, had a Montgomery Ward store as one of their anchor stores. We did a lot of shopping there, even without the credit card.

We have 2 wired smoke detectors, one on each level, and a battery detector in every bedroom. We also have 4 CO detectors strategically placed. None of those detectors last forever, and replacing isn't all that expensive.

I'm betting there may be some collectors out there looking for MW branded stuff.

Montgomery Ward was the first credit/charge card my wife and I ever had. We got it when we needed to finance a new water heater in our first home back in the early 80's. Tough times, but good times.

Every large shopping mall, at least in Minnesota, had a Montgomery Ward store as one of their anchor stores. We did a lot of shopping there, even without the credit card.

We have 2 wired smoke detectors, one on each level, and a battery detector in every bedroom. We also have 4 CO detectors strategically placed. None of those detectors last forever, and replacing isn't all that expensive.

I'm betting there may be some collectors out there looking for MW branded stuff.

The local "town" where I grew-up, Lock Haven, PA, had a 3-story Monkey Wards, a 2-story JC Penney's, Grant, Woolworth & Newberry 5&10 stores on the downtown main street until the late 1970's. Not bad for a town of 10~11,000 people.

How Ionization Smoke Detectors Work

Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm. (From NFPA.org)

The radioactive material ages, and thus the smoke alarm's effectiveness fades with time.

Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm. (From NFPA.org)

The radioactive material ages, and thus the smoke alarm's effectiveness fades with time.

I'm starting to understand why I am losing my hair.

Back