• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Give me your torque wrench recommendations

You gearheads that wrench a lot, what is your recommendation for a good (maybe not the best) digital torque wrench. I used a "click" wrench for 15 years but it started to get where I wasn't trusting it so I bought a replacement "click" wrench about 10 years ago and now I find I'm not trusting it anymore. I thought I would join the 21st century and get a good digital torque wrench . . . .

Do the digital wrenches display the torque that is being applied, all the way up to the target (dialed in) torque? That would be nice.

Have a look at the bottom of the page. There has been a lot of conversations on torque wrenches.
OM

Have a look at the bottom of the page. There has been a lot of conversations on torque wrenches.
OM

Bottom of the page? I don't get it... Saw this topic and was like, cool, maybe I'll find a replacement for the one where I can't read the numbers!

Bottom of the page? I don't get it... Saw this topic and was like, cool, maybe I'll find a replacement for the one where I can't read the numbers!

There is a listing of threads in the “Similar Threads” pane. If the numbers are “embossed”, a wipe of pink or white fingernail polish really sticks in the crevasses and shows the info.
OM

I used a "click" wrench for 15 years but it started to get where I wasn't trusting it so I bought a replacement "click" wrench about 10 years ago and now I find I'm not trusting it anymore.

If you have, or have access to, a beam type torque wrench it's easy to determine if your click wrenches deserve your trust.

Torque a few bolts (I use wheel bolts on my car) to different levels and then check them with the beam wrench. If the bolts just start to move at the click wrench's setting you know you're good.

Good luck with it!

If you have, or have access to, a beam type torque wrench it's easy to determine if your click wrenches deserve your trust.

Torque a few bolts (I use wheel bolts on my car) to different levels and then check them with the beam wrench. If the bolts just start to move at the click wrench's setting you know you're good.

Good luck with it!

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

If you have a beam-type wrench, and a hex-key socket, you can also test directly...

Set the click-type wrench, and anchor it. Put the hex-socket on it, put a matched-size socket on the beam wrench, apply torque, see where the click happens...

(Anchor, or have one wrench in each hand and someone else reading the torque value on the beam.)

I compare my clicker torque wrenches to my beam torque wrench once a year. If close = OK. Don't obsess.

Been using my digital torque wrench since I first started riding, after reading a product review in the owners News; been working flawlessly ever since. IT IS AWESOME!

IMHO the best torque wrenches are Stahlwille (and possibly Hazet).

Main advantage is that the ratchet heads are removable to be replaced by special attachments, e.g. crowfoots, etc. Also the BMW special tool for R1100S transmission drain plug.

These are click type wrenches and because the ratchet head is removable, it's also reverse able ... this means torque is only measured in one direction and therefore it's no problem to use the wrench for loosening.

The mechanism is such that there is no requirement to zero the wrench for storage.

Have not seen it for BMW, but know that Stahlwille and Hazet wrenches are included in VW and Mercedes special tool programs. Both mine have Mercedes part numbers on them.

IMHO the best torque wrenches are Stahlwille (and possibly Hazet).

Main advantage is that the ratchet heads are removable to be replaced by special attachments, e.g. crowfoots, etc. Also the BMW special tool for R1100S transmission drain plug.

These are click type wrenches and because the ratchet head is removable, it's also reverse able ... this means torque is only measured in one direction and therefore it's no problem to use the wrench for loosening.

The mechanism is such that there is no requirement to zero the wrench for storage.

Have not seen it for BMW, but know that Stahlwille and Hazet wrenches are included in VW and Mercedes special tool programs. Both mine have Mercedes part numbers on them.

Those look fantastic, but pricey.

Ideally you need a few torque wrenches as the ideal torque setting is in the middle of the range of the wrench. I.E don't use a 200 Ft/Lb wrench for a 15 Ft/Lb nut, but use a wrench that has a 4-40 range just as an example. This is how I ended up with three of them.... YMMV

Back