• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip to float conversion for 07RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
He commented possible firmware update needed. GS-911 autoscan report shows Actual I-Level : K024-12-02-500 for all modules. Anyone aware of what the latest is for the 2007 R1200RT or have a similar model with something later? Is there a table somewhere like there should be with this info?

I'm trying to catch up

I have a question.
Does a later model RT than 07 use a regular float type sensor instead of the fuel strip? If not then the conversion will be a lot more involved. If the later models do use a float sensor then the ZFE module software should have places for both the fuel strip and a float type sensor. BMW when writing the software for these bikes made it so that it would work with multiple bikes.

So if using a OBDII scan tool that can access the ZFE you should be able to see the header "Central Chassis Electronics (ZFE)" section. Then find the header "Thermocouples FLS". Under this header you will see "foliengeber" with a down arrow. Pick the arrow and you will see "potentiometer".
This is where you make the change to potentiometer. Foliengeber is German roughly translated to fuel strip. Select Code to make the change. Close the app.

What this does is it makes the ZFE look for a fuel level senor input from a different place in the wiring harness. This would be the wires going to the float sensor and no longer looking for the signal in the wiring harness where the fuel strip use to send a signal.

Go to this site https://www.k-bikes.com/threads/fuel-strip-thought.47211/
and read the post and look at the wiring harness pictures. Check for the wire colors and their location to see if they match anything you have. The change you make in the wiring harness is moving the wires that connect to the float sensor to the positions in the wiring harness that the ZFE will be looking for the signal after changing to "potentiometer".

I wrote the thread and have done the conversion on 6 to 8 bikes, K1200S and a couple K1200GT all with success. It's been a year now and it still works perfectly. All in all I have about $180 in parts, OBDII scan tool and software.
du907

It is my understanding from other posts discussing your fix that the RT wiring harness is different and so even if the software has that option it still isn’t possible. I use a GS-911WIFI for diagnostics and not an OBDII scan tool.

I am done with this project and will begin a thorough write up to share here in the next few weeks on a new thread. To make a long story short I finally figured out this kit was working but just way off in the calibration. It doesn't start registering on the fuel gauge until over 3 gallons of gas are added. I did a lot of extra work because I never dreamed the variance could be that much. Oh well. Live and learn. I have presented these findings to the developer. It will be interesting to hear his reply. Thanks to everyone who helped answer some questions along the way. I hope to repay you with my write up in the future.

I am done with this project and will begin a thorough write up to share here in the next few weeks on a new thread. To make a long story short I finally figured out this kit was working but just way off in the calibration. It doesn't start registering on the fuel gauge until over 3 gallons of gas are added. I did a lot of extra work because I never dreamed the variance could be that much. Oh well. Live and learn. I have presented these findings to the developer. It will be interesting to hear his reply. Thanks to everyone who helped answer some questions along the way. I hope to repay you with my write up in the future.

I hope you put the write up in the hex head tech section. You deserve it.

I hope you put the write up in the hex head tech section. You deserve it.

If you need assistance with the write-up, the Moderators can help you out :thumb
OM

Good to hear you are done as in satisfied and not done throwing in the towel :thumb.

Thanks for sharing the adventure as many of us may cross this path at some point!

To make a long story short I finally figured out this kit was working but just way off in the calibration. It doesn't start registering on the fuel gauge until over 3 gallons of gas are added. I did a lot of extra work because I never dreamed the variance could be that much. Oh well. Live and learn. I have presented these findings to the developer. It will be interesting to hear his reply.

WooHoo. He replied and there is adjustment via internal pot as I hoped. That makes the light much brighter at the end of the tunnel.

Pot adjustment worked just fine and gauge level is much more accurate now. Will ride for a few tanks and tweak as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back