• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 or 2011 R1200RT - differences? Also diff between "Premium" & "Standard"

2009 or 2011 R1200RT - differences? Also diff between "Premium" & "Standard"

Hey all,
I am upgrading from my '02 R1150RT with 82K to a newer model. Right now I have my sights on a 2009 R1200RT Premium with 29K, or a 2011 R1200RT Standard with 22K. Both have heated grips/seats, cruise control, ESA and either a large Givi (2009) or BMW (2011) top case. The 2011 adds Electronic suspension. I'm trying to figure out which is the better value as far as features and reliability. The 2011 is $2100 more than the 2009. I have a few questions for this learned group before I pull the trigger on one or the other.
  1. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2009 RT Premium and Standard?
  2. Is there any significant mechanical, reliability or comfort advantage that one of these has over the other?
  3. My '02 runs a little rough, especially at idle. I'm told this was remedied in a later model by adding a 2nd spark plug to each cylinder. Can anyone tell me what year this upgrade happened?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

There are fairly significant changes to the engine that increased horsepower and torque a little (like ~5hp). The handlebar controls are completely redone as are the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs and the turn signal switch. There are minor differences in the fairings and a few other nitnoid things.

Overall, the two are very similar. More of an evolution than revolution. Of those two generations (Hexhead 2005-2009 and the Camhead 2010-2013), I would avoid the 2005/2006 model years for issues they could develop with the servo-assisted brakes but that was eliminated in 2007->
Edited to correct the year

Google "2010 R1200RT Review." That was the year they redesigned it and hits like Cycle World and others would detail the changes in detail. Reliability-wise I think the two will be essentially bullet-proof. Best of luck and keep posting any questions. We are a very welcoming crown over here.

Last edited:
Hey all,
I am upgrading from my '02 R1150RT with 82K to a newer model. Right now I have my sights on a 2009 R1200RT Premium with 29K, or a 2011 R1200RT Standard with 22K. Both have heated grips/seats, cruise control, ESA and either a large Givi (2009) or BMW (2011) top case. The 2011 adds Electronic suspension. I'm trying to figure out which is the better value as far as features and reliability. The 2011 is $2100 more than the 2009. I have a few questions for this learned group before I pull the trigger on one or the other.
  1. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2009 RT Premium and Standard?
  2. Is there any significant mechanical, reliability or comfort advantage that one of these has over the other?
  3. My '02 runs a little rough, especially at idle. I'm told this was remedied in a later model by adding a 2nd spark plug to each cylinder. Can anyone tell me what year this upgrade happened?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

Bruce,

There is one recurring headache that differentiates those two bikes: the dreaded fuel strip. Do a search for "fuel strip" and you'll find what you need. It is correctable, at least temporarily as it recurs, but it can be a pain in arse. The 2011's use a proper float system rather than a capacitive strip.

test drive results

I test drove the '09 and the '11 this weekend.
The older bike, with 29K, rode smooth as silk. The tires were new last year with receipts that showed mileage. The fairings, paniers and Givi top case were flawless. No marks on the cylinder heads. The owner had a binder with all of his receipts. I think this bike was well cared for.
The '11 was a different story - the paniers, cylinders and front fairings showed a fair amount of scratches, not dents or cracks, but the bike had likely been dropped from a parked position or squeezed through too tight a space. The owner said the oil needed changing and both tires were bald in the center. It didn't seem to ride as smoothly as teh '09 either. He was asking pretty much the Kelly Blue Book retail price and was only willing to knock off $500 for tires. I felt uneasy about this bike - we all know what neglect can do to a bike, and how much $$ the BMW dealer will remove from our wallets for service.
The only other difference was that the '11 had electronic suspension.
I'm going to make one last search on eBay, Cycletrader and Craiglist before committing to the '09 if it's still available. Is anyone in New England selling an '09 or newer RT that wants to chat before I commit?
Thanks,
Bruce

Back