• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1300GT Brake Pedal Mod for Lowered Footpegs

gtrider

I recently installed a set of Moto Verholen brackets for lowering the footpegs on my 2010 K1300GT, sourced from Pirates Lair. Included in the kit was an aluminum piece designed to clamp around the brake pedal of a K1200S and lower the brake pedal by adding thickness to the pedal. However, no such fix was included for the K1300GT, which uses a different pedal than the K1200S. I was not comfortable with the relationship between the now-lowered footpegs and the existing brake pedal location, so started researching possible fixes by asking for photos in a thread located here. Rather than further mess up that thread, and in order to keep this post easily reachable in a search, I'm starting this new thread. Note that what I'm illustrating here is a modification to a critical safety system that should only be undertaken by a skilled machinist and mechanic and that a modification such as this is done at your own risk.

The pedal stop for the K1300GT is on the back side of the pedal, as shown in the photo below. The stop is just a flat portion on the pedal and designed to bottom against the frame where it meets the footpeg mounting arm bolted to the frame. The red arrow in the photo below shows the section of the brake pedal that acts as the stop.

K13GT Pedal Stop2.jpg

Removing the pedal and flipping it over showed the stop to be a flat spot on the pedal, and the pedal to have ample thickness to install an adjustable stop setup without worry of pedal breakage. I determined the correct location for an adjustable stop was near the outer edge of the flat stop area, then jigged up the pedal so I could drill a 13/64" hole perpendicular to the flat stop area, all the way through the pedal. I then tapped the hole for a 6mm x 1.0 thread as shown in the photos below:

Hole Location:
Hole Location2.JPG Threaded Hole, back view.JPG

And installed a 6mm x 1.0 bolt and locknut:

Adjustable stop installed2.JPG

The finished pedal installed like this:

Finished installation2.JPG

So, the next step was to shorten the master cylinder stab to the correct length. NOTE: This is a part that is only available with a complete new master cylinder, so be aware of that before you begin modifying the part. I shortened the tapered end of the stab by about 2mm with a file, maintaining the rounded profile, and the threaded portion of the stab as needed. In order to make the stab short enough it was necessary to also shorten the threaded barrel of the mounting clevis, to allow the stab to thread in far enough to maintain proper free play in the brake pedal. The photos below show the parts and give a rough idea of how much length was removed:

Shortened stab and pin.2JPG.JPG

Note that this is a size-to-fit situation and will likely require multiple test fits along the way. It is CRUCIAL that the end of the threaded portion of the stab not be allowed to protrude below the inside surface of the clevis, as shown here, or it will interfere with free play in the system.

Pin Clearance2.JPG

And the installed stab and clevis looks like this. Note that there is a limited amount of adjustment retained, in case the pedal is adjusted upward and the stab lengthened accordingly. I wanted the pedal in the same space relationship it originally had with the footpeg, so my pedal is lowered a bit more than many would do and the stab is correspondingly shorter. Note again that it is CRUCIAL that free play be present in the system when you are done adjusting, otherwise the rear brake will drag and overheat. I verified that the rear wheel would spin free when done, and that sufficient free play was present to allow the pedal to move a bit before the brakes began to lightly engage.

Shortened stab and pin installed2.JPG

Anyway, that's my mod. I could have heated and bent the brake pedal, but I wanted to retain some adjustment. Should the day come when I need the pedal higher, if I find my stab is too short I'll just fire up the lathe and make another using a 6mm x 1.0 grade 5 or grade 8 bolt as a starting point.

Do this mod at your own risk and on your own responsibility!

Best,

DeVern

Last edited:
Back