• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm done with BMW

thumpower

Sorry, guys, but I am bailing out. My 2016 1200RT has just proved to be too unreliable. Twice it has gone into limp home for no reason the dealer can confirm. I'm not waiting for the third strike when I'm thousand of miles away from home. If I can't trust it, I can't travel on it. It only has 8k miles. If anyone is interested in the Socal area, it's for sale. As for me, it's back to the Japanese - they make bikes i can trust.

Always a bummer to have your expectations dashed when one goes and hopefully buys the best for their purposes.
Still suffering from some of that myself.
I’m surprised the dealer can’t read a code. Let us know what you find, when you find it.
Good luck.
OM

Sorry, guys, but I am bailing out. My 2016 1200RT has just proved to be too unreliable. Twice it has gone into limp home for no reason the dealer can confirm. I'm not waiting for the third strike when I'm thousand of miles away from home. If I can't trust it, I can't travel on it. It only has 8k miles. If anyone is interested in the Socal area, it's for sale. As for me, it's back to the Japanese - they make bikes i can trust.

When was the last software update for the ECU and do you know the error code?

I know your frustration. I was in the same spot in May at 18K on my 2016 RS

I’m surprised the dealer can’t read a code. Let us know what you find, when you find it.
OM

Spot on. Just because the dealership is a "BMW" dealership does not mean that the person who worked on your bike knows what he, or she, is doing. Take your bike to another dealer, and call BMW.

E.

Quality in a product or service is not what the supplier puts in. It is what the customer gets out and is willing to pay for. A product is not quality because it is hard to make and costs a lot of money, as manufacturers typically believe. This is incompetence. Customers pay only for what is of use to them and gives them value. Nothing else constitutes quality.
Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)

Just curious...who is your dealer? I believe I would seek out another opinion with a different dealer, as that is an issue that should be easily corrected. Likely ECU or a sensor issue.

I forget how many times I've made that same statement, "I'm done"...then two days ago I bought another one. Such is my life....apparently so good, I look for frustration to balance it out.

Sorry to hear...

My 2016 RT has been awesome, and all that has slowed me down this season are the wildfires and smoke in my neck of the woods... 2021 has gotta be a better riding season!

Bummer. I really hate to hear it, most of all because my bike is a '16 RT. Just hit 18,000 miles, and in 46 years of riding this has been hands-down the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

This really sounds like a bad sensor, pinched wire, poor ground, electronic gremlin kind of problem. In the end it will probably be repaired cheaply, by BMW standard of cheaply, and turn out to be another fine machine. I'm with those who recommend finding another dealer or perhaps independent shop. Hope things work out for you.

Yep, I have a 2018 RT with 9,000 mile on it and never a hic-up. I have been riding Harleys for years and I love the performance of the RT.

2016 RT with 62,000 miles. Went into limp mode once, (corrected by pulling over turning bike off the on again) scheduled appointment with dealer ride hundreds of miles that week no problem, dealer updated ECU with new software earlier this year, thousands of miles later... problem free.

Gentlemen,

What Thumpower experienced wasn't an unknown event. Sadly, in many cases, the cure is a software upgrade that addresses an unknown issue which produced system faults. That's a disconcerting situation with a vehicle that's operated in high speed traffic. When it's an identifiable sensor failure or loss of coneection, it's great .......... source and cure are known.

And, yes, I go to a very good shop that's handled BMW's for over 50-yrs....

I once told a vehicle salesman that I was not interested in his vehicle that could "easily be fixed under warranty" ... because what I wanted was a vehicle that didn't need to be fixed. I walked away from that dealership and bought a vehicle that gave me many miles and many years of service with no mechanical issues. (BTW, the vehicle I bought was not a BMW, car or motorcycle.)

I once told a vehicle salesman that I was not interested in his vehicle that could "easily be fixed under warranty" ... because what I wanted was a vehicle that didn't need to be fixed. I walked away from that dealership and bought a vehicle that gave me many miles and many years of service with no mechanical issues. (BTW, the vehicle I bought was not a BMW, car or motorcycle.)

Pontiac Fiero

The OP hasn’t been a big poster and is currently not happy with his bikes problems........
why don’t we give him a chance rather than drag the thread off course with car “stories” and “wonders” about trolling.
Maybe it’s back on the highway and he is hoping he makes it home?
OM

Back