• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

98 r1100rt gvw?

ryan1100rt

This summer after returning for deployment I bought a R1100RT. Then I put some money in to it. 22 year old bike go figure. New Clutch, tires, shocks, seat, breaks.

My question is, if the bike is 622 lbs wet, I'm 200, my wife is 150 then add our stuff we get pretty close to the owners manual GVW recommendation. Should I be concerned? Our gear is basically clothes and running shoes.

Thanks

Ryan

Congrats on your new bike, welcome to the forum, and welcome home!

What is the GVW of your R100RT ? Does the owners manual show a separate spec for payload?

Pack light, check the condition of your tires and add 4-5 pounds of pressure to each, set suspension heights for the weight you'll carry, and be cautious as you ride. You'll be better prepared for two-up touring than 90% of folks out there.

The owners manual says around 997 lbs. I saw another something from bmbikes.co.uk that said the max was 1079. I think we weigh in around 1020.

Thanks

Ryan

The owners manual says around 997 lbs. I saw another something from bmbikes.co.uk that said the max was 1079. I think we weigh in around 1020.

Thanks

Ryan

Sound's like you'll be fine but as mentioned, you might want to pack as if you'll be carrying your luggage on your back - light!

It also sounds like you're pretty handy with tools. You might consider changing out your front wheel bearings (they're cheap!) as a precautionary measure. Having tires in good condition is very important but DO NOT inflate your tires beyond the maximum indicated on the sidewall. (That is sure to ignite some discussion :D)

This summer after returning for deployment I bought a R1100RT. Then I put some money in to it. 22 year old bike go figure. New Clutch, tires, shocks, seat, breaks.

My question is, if the bike is 622 lbs wet, I'm 200, my wife is 150 then add our stuff we get pretty close to the owners manual GVW recommendation. Should I be concerned? Our gear is basically clothes and running shoes.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan, I don't think you have anything to fret about, My Bride and I have travelled all over the CONUS and Canada on our RT and even pull a Bushtec trailer. heed the words of others on this forum, and perform your regular maintenance and I'm sure that bike will perform well for you. Ours is a year 2000 with over 157,000 miles on her and still runs like a charm

CRATER LAKE

IMG_6469 B.jpg

I'm encouraged by "Snookers" post above however I have to wonder if over loading these bikes contributes significantly to failed rear drive units as I suspect the final drives are under built for two up touring.
My $0.02.
I use mine for commuting to work and grocery store runs.
I seldom have a rider on back.
Following this thread .....
Cheers Flhfxd

Having tires in good condition is very important but DO NOT inflate your tires beyond the maximum indicated on the sidewall. (That is sure to ignite some discussion :D)

To be more clear, when I say add 4-5 lbs to tire pressure, I am NOT advocating going over the tire manufacturer's maximum. I have found that my R1100RS works better with more air than BMW recommended, even with just me on it. But the tire manufacturer's maximum must not be exceeded. I trust them to know.

My shop manual (pub. Feb 2000) says the "unladen weight, ready for road, full tank" of the RT is 606.375 pounds (three decimal places???), and the permitted total weight is 1080.45 pounds. So, this "should" allow for an extra 474 pounds of payload.
Temper this with the fact that many folks tour two-up plus luggage on these without issue.

I'm encouraged by "Snookers" post above however I have to wonder if over loading these bikes contributes significantly to failed rear drive units as I suspect the final drives are under built for two up touring.
My $0.02.
I use mine for commuting to work and grocery store runs.
I seldom have a rider on back.
Following this thread .....
Cheers Flhfxd

I believe that there are many contributing factors which may/can lead too the failure of the rear drives.
To list a few, I would say the lack of regular maintenance ,ei. oil change and style of riding. I'm sure there are more, although the final drive on our beast is solid, verified by the 12 0'clock six o'clock and the nine and three o'clock twist /tug test with the rear tire and wheel assembly. The final drive on the R1100RT is much better than the final drive on my K1200S, and the large internal bearing actually gets lubricated by the oil in the final drive, unlike the K1200S where the large bearing is a sealed unit outside of the gear casing

My shop manual (pub. Feb 2000) says the "unladen weight, ready for road, full tank" of the RT is 606.375 pounds (three decimal places???), and the permitted total weight is 1080.45 pounds. So, this "should" allow for an extra 474 pounds of payload.
Temper this with the fact that many folks tour two-up plus luggage on these without issue.

Paul, if my memory is correct, the GVW for my '98 R1100RT is under a thousand pounds. I was surprised with this when I got the bike as my K100RT was over a thousand pounds.

To be more clear, when I say add 4-5 lbs to tire pressure, I am NOT advocating going over the tire manufacturer's maximum. I have found that my R1100RS works better with more air than BMW recommended, even with just me on it. But the tire manufacturer's maximum must not be exceeded. I trust them to know.

We're in violent agreement. :laugh

If I had my bike loaded to or above the maximum GVW I would set my tire cold (20C) pressures to the maximum stated on the sidewalls.

Back