• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Update to "noob here." My first motorcycle should be a?"

Titos750

Update
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?98130-Noob-here-First-motorcycle-should-be-a

So against the majority of the votes in the poll I went and got a 2020 F 750gs. Originally I wanted a 310gs but the recall still had new bikes unable to be put in the road. I'm actually glad this happened.

I love the 750! Put 918 miles since getting it 3 weeks ago on August 28th! It's not too much too handle at all! Not the best touring bike in my novice opinion though. Gas tank is too small but I'm going to take a wack at it soon.

Thank you to everyone that gave their input! šŸ»

Mod thread coming soon. Looking for medium distance touring (if that's even a thing) šŸ˜‚

Congrats!

50+MPG with a 4 gallon tank should net 200+ miles per tank, which is above average for most motos. And 200 miles is a pretty good stint without stopping to stretch... So I think you should be OK with the tank size. :)

Enjoy and ride safe!

Congrats!

50+MPG with a 4 gallon tank should net 200+ miles per tank, which is above average for most motos. And 200 miles is a pretty good stint without stopping to stretch... So I think you should be OK with the tank size. :)

Enjoy and ride safe!

The noob might be young with a 16-hr bladder.:whistle

Congrats!

Enjoy and ride safe!

Thank you. A trip from NJ to FL would require me to make at least 6 fuel stops in 18 hours. I figured that would be a lot. And if I were south of the border somewhere it could be a while from one gas station to the next. That's how I viewed it. I'd like to do a month long trip with in these next 5 years, probably won't happen but still a goal lol

Gas Station Mavens

Thank you. A trip from NJ to FL would require me to make at least 6 fuel stops in 18 hours. I figured that would be a lot. And if I were south of the border somewhere it could be a while from one gas station to the next. That's how I viewed it. I'd like to do a month long trip with in these next 5 years, probably won't happen but still a goal lol

I am with you. I figure that is a lot also. You probably won't be risking that a station will be available right before your out so you won't be going 200 miles. I love my little 310 but just completed a 1,450 mile trip with 11 stops for gas at about 10 minutes each. Close enough to call it 2 hours. I don't mind stopping but there are better places to spend your time than two hours in gas stations. i am afraid we held hostage to the design parameters of the mothership where their typical trip may be a lot shorter than ours.

Enjoy your new bike.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

If I could go 16 hours without refueling that would be great... But I can't, and that's my point.

I do love the 750GS. Not a single regret so far.

When you hit the average of the MOA, 200 miles between stops is pretty darn good.............That's my point:thumb

Congrats on your new moto!

Yes, fuel range is not quite as good as I could wish for on the F700GS, either. I am averaging 55 mpg (around town, so hopefully 60+ out on the highways) with a 4.2 gallon tank. That's okay, but it would be nice to have a solid 250 mile usable range. The Honda CB500X gets 70+ mpg and has a nearly 5 gallon tank - - so owners report solid 300 mile usable range. Wouldnā€™t that be nice.

I think it's a good idea to get of the bike every 2h maximum anyway--droning along one can lose focus, get uncomfortable, etc so it works out perfectly to have to get off the bike to fuel, take a whiz, eat and hydrate, enjoy the scenery, whatever. Never good to stay in the same position more than that anyway. My bike will do 320m on a full tank but I always stop every 2h to stretch, etc. Did a 10K mile trip in 2016 and we did this the entire way.

I think it's a good idea to get of the bike every 2h maximum anyway--droning along one can lose focus, get uncomfortable, etc so it works out perfectly to have to get off the bike to fuel, take a whiz, eat and hydrate, enjoy the scenery, whatever. Never good to stay in the same position more than that anyway. My bike will do 320m on a full tank but I always stop every 2h to stretch, etc. Did a 10K mile trip in 2016 and we did this the entire way.

But, back in 55-mph America, that made Kansas a really long state.....................................

I've been from Germany to the Russian border with my 700GS. Never realized I had a range problem till now. In order to catch the plane to FRA I rode my bike from ATL to YUL.

I think it's a good idea to get of the bike every 2h maximum anyway--droning along one can lose focus, get uncomfortable, etc so it works out perfectly to have to get off the bike to fuel, take a whiz, eat and hydrate, enjoy the scenery, whatever. Never good to stay in the same position more than that anyway.

I have talked to riders who can fill up with gas and ride until the gauge reads "E." I certainly cannot do that. On long trips I have to get off the bike at one-hour intervals. My legs won't allow me to do otherwise. I just have to stop, get off and move around. Gas, meals, and restroom stops are good excuses to get off the bike.

It's just the way it is for me.

Harry

I have an 850GSA and I think the 6 gallon tank is ideal! There's no real way I could ride this bike to empty without a personal break or the need to stretch my legs or back.

I usually go riding every Sunday for 3 years at a time. After getting my Russell Day Long seat, the 3 hour ride is no problem on the bike. I got the low chassis and I attribute that to being why the bike was soo uncomfortable for long rides for me ( 6', but noob rider).

The 750GS is a great bike. If it wasn't for the suspension of the 1250GSA, I'd have no reason to want that bike. I never feel like I want anything when I ride my bike.

Gas Station Maven

I have talked to riders who can fill up with gas and ride until the gauge reads "E." I certainly cannot do that. On long trips I have to get off the bike at one-hour intervals. My legs won't allow me to do otherwise. I just have to stop, get off and move around. Gas, meals, and restroom stops are good excuses to get off the bike.

It's just the way it is for me.

Harry

Riding to E is really not an option in many places north. One needs to plan on fuel not being available for a sizable stretch of really interesting roads so you end up stopping significantly short of your max comfortable range. Two roads you absolutely need better range is the Haul Road to Prudhoe and the private power company road to Radisson on the Hudson Bay. Lake Superior to a lesser degree. On US 127 from Michigan to points south I like to stop every couple hours also but I would rather be stopping for pie instead of at a gas station. You can only have so much of a new experience on your 5,000th lifetime trip to a gas station.

If I could only change one thing on my 310GS (besides a better operator) is fuel capacity. I would like to have 400cc and 24k valve inspects but I want more fuel.

What is the cost of designing and providing a comfortable 250 real world range motorcycle. Still less than the typical car.

Maybe owners would ride their BMW's further, enjoy them more?

Stop more for pie.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I rode 265 miles at 60 MPH in one tank, no stops on my HD Limited, so roughly 4-3/4 hours. I could have gone farther. Guys I ride with joke about me having a bladder like an camel's hump! I carry water so I drink often, but seem to need to stop about half as often os the other people I ride with.

Day Long

After getting my Russell Day Long seat, the 3 hour ride is no problem on the bike.

+1

Only thing negative was that it made the saddle height a little taller for someone that is already under-tall.

Fixed that with a very expensive new shock and changing the location and size (can you hear me now?) of the horn and dropping the front end.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Back