• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody we know?

Just leaving Spearfish Canyon for Deadwood... sometime after the wobblefest superspreader

Yup. Route Alt 14, west of Sturgis. We enjoy it, tho we find it pretty easy...

A bit off topic but I am reminded of the very first time I ever saw somebody on inline skates (rollerblading). I was riding my K75 downhill toward Aspen, Colorado from Independence Pass. I was in one of the narrower (one and a half lane wide) sections running a modest 45 to 50 mph. And from behind I get a glimpse in my mirror, and then she passed me going down hill toward Aspen on her roller blades, in her bikini. It is a sight I shall probably never forget.

Last edited:
Hell of a ride on a bicycle, you’re a tough bugger

It is a tough climb. And the bummer is it’s too steep to ride back down, so it’s a one-way trip with no pay back!

A bit off topic but I reminded of the very first time I ever saw somebody on inline skates (rollerblading). I was riding my K75 downhill toward Aspen, Colorado from Independence Pass. I was in one of the narrower (one and a half lane wide) sections running a modest 45 to 50 mph. And from behind I get a glimpse in my mirror, and then she passed me going down hill toward Aspen on her roller blades, in her bikini. It is a sight I shall probably never forget.

That is absolutely nuts. An olympian, perhaps?

It is a tough climb. And the bummer is it’s too steep to ride back down, so it’s a one-way trip with no pay back!

Seriously, too steep to ride down? I have seen guys on bicycle run down hill that you couldn't ride up, so what makes Mt. Washington so special?
Cars drive up and down, why not a bicycle?

Nevermind, I see it is forbidden.

A paved road does not exist that is too steep to ride down. Mt Washington isn't that steep either.

Seriously, too steep to ride down? I have seen guys on bicycle run down hill that you couldn't ride up, so what makes Mt. Washington so special?
Cars drive up and down, why not a bicycle?

Nevermind, I see it is forbidden.

It’s forbidden because you’d get wrecked. It is 7.6 miles of non-stop downhill at an average grade of 12-13%, much of which has tight switchbacks. There are multi-mile sections in the 16-18% grade range. You would be squeezing your brakes as hard as possible the entire way down just to maintain control. Your brakes would heat up so much they would fade away, and if they are rim brakes they’d heat the rim and tire to the point of rupture.

Even motor vehicles using 1st gear engine braking and huge hydraulic power brake systems need to pause repeatedly to allow brakes to cool down.

So yeah, it’s a one-way trip up on a bicycle.:thumb

A bit off topic but I am reminded of the very first time I ever saw somebody on inline skates (rollerblading). I was riding my K75 downhill toward Aspen, Colorado from Independence Pass. I was in one of the narrower (one and a half lane wide) sections running a modest 45 to 50 mph. And from behind I get a glimpse in my mirror, and then she passed me going down hill toward Aspen on her roller blades, in her bikini. It is a sight I shall probably never forget.

If it was a red bikini, we now know exactly who you're talking about... :laugh

I couldn’t access the article without a subscription.

Pikes Peak is quite a ride, but it’s not anything near as steep as Mt Washington. I don’t have the stats at my finger tips, but going from memory it ascends somewhat more elevation (i.e. vertical rise) in about 3x the distance. So it is something like 1/3-1/2 as steep. Doubling or tripling the incline makes a world of difference. Even with significantly less incline, it sounds like cyclists have difficulty negotiating the descent of Pikes Peak.

When I ride it I will report back. :thumb

Back