• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bicycle mount for my airhead

ADAMLIVI

So several years ago I wanted to ride up to the mountains to go mountain biking ... two birds with one stone. So I ended up making a bike rack for my airhead. Never seen the approach before but I have been very happy with it. Does not stick up too high or out back too far. It changes the handling dynamics very little (far less than a passenger) and was not to difficult to build.

The frame carrier connects to the right side bag mount and supports the bike at the bottom bracket/down tube. The front forks mount to an adapter on the right passenger foot peg. Entire rack can be installed in less than 10 minutes and bile can be mounted on the rack in about 5 minutes.

Kind of random for sure but after many hundred miles I have no complaints.

Bikerack2.jpgBikerack1.jpgbikerack3.jpg

Nice work. :thumb

I am planning to add a bicycle rack to my GS, and have been studying the various offerings. Havenā€™t made a final selection yet.

Does yours prevent mounting the right-hand side-case?

Last edited:
Seeing that Brooks saddle sure makes me grimace. After around 2500 miles my Brooks still was uncomfortable. I finally switched to a gel seat... Much more pleasant.

Brooks saddle

The saddle needs to be broken in correctly. What you need to do is bind the saddle to a flat rock and soak it in water overnight. Then untie the saddle and throw it away. Mount the rock on the seat post. šŸ˜€

If you use the google site search feature and look for "bicycle mount" or "bicycle rack" you'll find past threads on this.

What kind of aerodynamic and handling weirdness, if any, does the bike generate? I'm not sure I'd want to come into a semi's wake at highway speeds with that quasi-sail deployed up high and in back.

What kind of aerodynamic and handling weirdness, if any, does the bike generate? I'm not sure I'd want to come into a semi's wake at highway speeds with that quasi-sail deployed up high and in back.

I have no empirical data but seat of the pants experience puts the effects (cross wind, center of balance, weight distribution, etc) at far less than a passenger.

Back