• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you use an "event" or "dash camera"? Which one?

Great topic. I too have been wanting to add forward and aft looking cameras and am especially interested in mounting ideas for the cameras themselves.

I have heard great things about the Innova systems. I bought a cheaper system a few years ago, but have not taken the time to install yet. I bought a Sykik Rider set when I was at AIMExpo working a booth, so got a pretty good discount.

GoPro Hero on the helmet worked really well with the semi fisheye. Super high quality and the position on top of the helmet is perfect. Easy to use but recycling the data on the SD card is a pain.

I installed the Innovv K2 system. It comes on with the ignition and loops 8 hours of video. Also locks the current segment of video in the event of a crash (it's not continuous, it records a series of segments, I've set my segment length to 3 minutes). I very seldom look at the video but it's there if I want to, the best part is never having to say "Wow that was amazing, I wish I'd thought to turn on (bring, charge, ...) my GoPro", the second-best is not having to fumble with buttons while riding. Plus I record fore and aft, and there's an application (Dashcam Viewer) you can use to see picture-in-picture of both views, in addition it uses GPS to continuously record location so you can follow your ride on a map.

The thing with helmet-mounted cameras is that the scenery stays level as you ride (assuming you keep your head level); with a bike-mounted camera the scenery tilts on curves. Makes it fun to watch on a tablet or laptop, though, if you tilt the device back and forth to keep the horizon level you can actively participate in the video!

Second the Innova K2, I tried a bunch of others thanks to Amazon's generous return policies and the K2 hit the sweet spot for me. The only model I didn't try that may have it beat for quality is the Thinkware M1, but the camera housing on that is huge compared to the K2 and I was looking for something more discreet. Little known secret about the K2 is that there's an active community on the forum on the Mfg's website and someone there mods the firmware to up the recording bitrate of the cameras. It goes from a pretty average quality to pretty good just by taking advantage of some unused features in the chip they're using.

Can you guys that have the Innova post a pic or three of the way you have your cameras mounted? I can think of a few ways to mount the rear but I'm having trouble imagining for to do the front.

Can you guys that have the Innova post a pic or three of the way you have your cameras mounted? I can think of a few ways to mount the rear but I'm having trouble imagining for to do the front.
I would but your sig says you have an RT, and I have a GSA so my solution wouldn't be much help to you.

Back