• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anybody convert an enclosed trailer to a camper/toy-hauler?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I have been thinking of a toy-hauler. I found one that I have been looking to see in person today- a Forest River NOBO 19.1.
I was a bit disappointed in the fit and finish but have learned from the Class A Winnebago I purchased, these products are put together with “cheese-wizz” and “hope”.

It has been on my mind that for not a lot of money, I could convert one of my Car-Mate, quality made trailers, into a bit of a camper/toy-hauler. There are many threads around on those that have done this, perhaps leading to the actual line of “Work-N-Play” trailers.

So if you have considered this kind of project, or actually have done this kind of build, let’s hear about it. :ear

I have been thinking of a toy-hauler. I found one that I have been looking to see in person today- a Forest River NOBO 19.1.
I was a bit disappointed in the fit and finish but have learned from the Class A Winnebago I purchased, these products are put together with “cheese-wizz” and “hope”.

It has been on my mind that for not a lot of money, I could convert one of my Car-Mate, quality made trailers, into a bit of a camper/toy-hauler. There are many threads around on those that have done this, perhaps leading to the actual line of “Work-N-Play” trailers.

So if you have considered this kind of project, or actually have done this kind of build, let’s hear about it. :ear

A guy, up the street, is building some form of food cart from an old single-stall, double axle horse trailer. It's quite attractive, the vents/windows have been replaced with hinged wood panels. By no means a lightweight unit, the owner will be safely selling whatever food items through the duration of the Zombie Apocolypse.

Last edited:
A search on RV.net will pull up threads on several such conversions that have been done. Some are pretty nice, then again there are others.

Best
DeVern

A friend converted a covered trailer. I forget how he secures the bike for travel,but once he reaches his destination, the bike gets wheeled out for the duration of his stay. On the driver's side, a long shelf is flipped down which becomes his bed. Another shelf on the passenger's side is released and becomes a counter for food prep or whatever. That same side has a door. He has two sets of LED lighting systems for inside and out. One set is hooked into the campsite electrical outlet. If there is no electrical outlet at the campsite, the second LED system is activated which runs off the truck's battery. I forget the other things he has done inside but it is a neat way to camp.

RV quality in general is poor. There are brands that do a better job, and years within those that are better than others as well. I just bought a Lance RV, quality is way above most other brands I have looked at. I believe they used to make toy haulers for a period of time. I hear that the stuff coming out right now is very poor, as people are buying RVs like crazy.

Build your own sounds good, but executing that plan may be the tough part. I ended up buying a Load-All ramp for the motorcycles, and carry them in the back of my truck, while towing the trailer.

RV quality in general is poor.

Oh boy, if you have ever come upon a serious RV accident and have seen the plastic and toothpicks spread across Hell's half acre you would know this is true. We had one roll over accident happen on the highway between where we live and town a couple of years ago. Fragments still show up in the ditch from time to time.

Three years ago at the Washington BMW state rally, there was a couple from Virginia who converted an enclosed 12 X 8 foot cargo trailer to a camper/bike hauler which they pulled with a car. They had a R1150RS. At night, they would put the bike outside. They had a bed and cooking facilities inside the trailer. Somehow, the bike was fastened in the middle of the trailer for hauling. The trailer had a back door that hinged down for loading. They did a very nice job on their trailer.

Any further development on the hauler OP?

I have a number of necessary interior components located. I want to add a powered roof vent first then 4 windows. I haven’t been able to get a clear match on the windows regarding the wall thickness.
If I can find an easier fit, I won’t have a fancy interior over-cut and have to warm up the thickness planer.
OM

7’x14’ Car Mate contractor version trailers. I have a couple so it will be a good place to start. As far as sleeping, just picked up an extra large cot at Bass Pro on sale.
Probably a box awning off the side with the door.
OM

I was asked on the ISO trailer thread to post some pictures of my cargo trailer to toy hauler conversion. This is a Cargo Mate 7x14x7 tandem axel trailer, empty weight before conversion 2600 lbs. I don't know after the fact. A few notes before the pictures. I fully insulated the trailer with 1" foam board, wired it for both 12 VDC and 120 VAC, it has two 100 AH batteries, a 1000 watt inverter, 20 amp shore power and a battery charger. Instant on propane hot water heater, 20 gallon fresh water tank, 25 gallon grey water tank, a shower, 36" 4 drawer cabinet with 15" sink, and a moveable tool chest that doubles as a tool chest and kitchen supplies.

On the motorcycle side it holds to full size adventure bikes with luggage. They Are secured by two condor wheel chocks and self tightening tie downs. They do not move.

Attachments

• Trailer Curb Side.jpg
    Trailer Curb Side.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Trailer Bikes.jpg
    Trailer Bikes.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Trailer Back.jpg
    Trailer Back.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Trailer Back Bikes.jpg
    Trailer Back Bikes.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Trailer Back Inside.jpg
    Trailer Back Inside.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Trailer Back Kitchen.jpg
    Trailer Back Kitchen.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Shower.jpg
    Shower.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 222
The shower is a bonus. Make sure the doors are closed when showering. The one I saw, only haul one bike and removed the bike ,then you had a fold down bed for a couple. Your trailer was done very well, :thumb

Last edited:
Nice job :thumb
Thanks for posting your efforts.
I will study them more closely when I can get to a larger screen.
OM

The shower is a bonus. Make sure the doors are closed when showering. The one I saw, only haul one bike and removed the bike ,then you had a fold down bed for a couple. Your trailer was done very well, :thumb

Closing the doors while showering is optional depending on where you are. :). The bed(s) can be do a couple of ways, it is all dependent on space.E track horizontal along the walls with 2x4s and plywood stretched between the E track. Cots are an option, drop down beds are another.

I pulled this trailer with a Ford E450 shuttle bus conversion with a 6.0 diesel. If I were to do another trailer for my needs I would go with an 8 foot wide and leave the rest the same. 7 foot ceilings are a must if you have a shower. Mine will hold someone in the 6'4" range.

Because we had the bus pulling the trailer worked well in combination with the bus. Sleeping, eating, living and toilet were in the bus, as mentioned cooking, shower, bikes and gear were in the trailer. There was room in the trailer for either a composting toilet or a bag toilet.

I would advise anyone wanting to build out a trailer to make a detail Needs and wants list and put together a budget. Prior planning prevents spending money unwisely.

Trailer?

Months ago their was talk here about members making cargo trailers into ones hauling bikes and a small camping area. Any up dates?:wave

Back