• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator IV problem. Can anyone help?

piperk1600gtl

I'm wondering if someone in this group can help me with a Navigator problem I'm having. I have a Navigator IV with latest software and map updates. I use latest version of Basecamp on my Macbook Pro. Latest version of US map. I've done all the Basecamp tutorials and when I create my route in Basecamp it looks great - exactly the route I want to ride. I transfer to the Nav and check the preview and it looks good there too. You can't zoom in to see all the details but the shape looks the same as in Basecamp. The problem is when I ride the route. The magenta route line doesn't always follow the road. I know that I'm on the road that I mapped in Basecamp but the magenta line is somewhere off road. My routing preference in Basecamp is Fastest Time and same in the Nav so they are in sync on that too. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

I have never experienced that problem. Maybe someone else has.

Its quite possible that your route was created in a older map version and you're transferring it to a device with a newer map version.
Try recalculating your route in basecamp and then transfer the route to the device.
The latest version on your computer and device should be 2021.2

Joe

On my handheld Garmin I can check that the GPS shows my location on the nearest road/street or my true GPS position on the map. As mentioned before, this happens with inaccurate sections in some maps. This setup might be in the Navigator SETTINGS as well.

Sorry, I don't have a Navigator device to verify.

/Guenther

This usually / always happens when the map in the computer does not match the map in the GPS device.

I have latest version of maps (2021.2) in Basecamp and in the Nav so that's not the problem. Thanks for the input though. It's appreciated

I have never experienced that problem. Maybe someone else has.

Its quite possible that your route was created in a older map version and you're transferring it to a device with a newer map version.
Try recalculating your route in basecamp and then transfer the route to the device.
The latest version on your computer and device should be 2021.2

Joe

Not sure if my Navigator has that feature but I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.

On my handheld Garmin I can check that the GPS shows my location on the nearest road/street or my true GPS position on the map. As mentioned before, this happens with inaccurate sections in some maps. This setup might be in the Navigator SETTINGS as well.

Sorry, I don't have a Navigator device to verify.

/Guenther

I have the latest and same map versions in both but I think there is also an older version still in Basecamp for sure and maybe in the Nav too. That could be causing some confusion. I'll check and find out how to remove the old versions. Thanks for the input.

This usually / always happens when the map in the computer does not match the map in the GPS device.

Maybe I misunderstood what you see?

When you use a route created on your computer it contains way points, not the actual magenta line you see in Basecamp.

When you download the route and start navigating on that route the device creates a new magenta line based on the roads/streets of the current map in your device.

So I can't see why the magenta line on the device does not exactly overlay the road/street.

Can the Navigator make a snapshot of the screen so we can exactly see what you mean?

/Guenther

Last edited:
When you plot the routes in basecamp as a final task you need to zoom in on each point ans make sure the point is in the exact position you want.

Problem solved :)

Thanks to everyone for your input and helpful suggestions. The map on the Nav must have got corrupted somehow because re-installing it did the trick and the Nav is better than it's ever been. My route was clear and unambiguous. The zoom level on the map was better so I could easily see that I was on the route. Even the instructions in my headset were more detailed. It was perfect. Now I'll be able to craft my routes in Basecamp with more confidence. I'm a happy navigator :)

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Back