• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weeping idle mixture screw 1986 R80RT

greybeard52

Today i put everything back together after cleaning the peeling factory sealant, cleaning and greasing the petcocks, pulling the float bowls and cleaning them including the little tube, and installing new German 7mm fuel hoses. I also removed the solenoids and hoses and wiring under the starter cover-and disabled the emission components in the air box. I started the engine and both carbs were leaking fuel. I pulled the float bowls and there were little specks of crud. I cleaned the float bowls and no leaking. i think there was some debris stuck in the float needle from before I started cleaning everything. Started the engine again and no leaking gas. it may be my imagination, but it seems to run better with all of the emission stuff disconnected. I went in a had lunch and when i came out there were a couple of drips of gas on both sides. I wiped down the carbs and laid down next to the bike. The idle mixture screws on both sides are weeping just a drop of gas. i always thought this bike smelled gassy but I couldn't find out why. Now i know.
Is there a quick fix for weepy idle mixture screws. I didn't rebuild the carbs, but i did buy a rebuild kit. Thanks. Bill

Attachments

• 9C4A7EB9-96A9-4057-9BAF-FEA2DA9B88CF.jpeg
    9C4A7EB9-96A9-4057-9BAF-FEA2DA9B88CF.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 65F6CD64-6E64-4E6E-A7B1-E7DCCF38AEAB.jpeg
    65F6CD64-6E64-4E6E-A7B1-E7DCCF38AEAB.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 47
Carefully turn the mixture screw in until it just seats, keeping track how much it screwed in so you can return to the same position. Then remove the mixture screw and replace the O ring on it. Reinstall to the prior starting position.

Thanks and are you Mr. Voni Glaves?

Carefully turn the mixture screw in until it just seats, keeping track how much it screwed in so you can return to the same position. Then remove the mixture screw and replace the O ring on it. Reinstall to the prior starting position.

I still have a few MOA Owners News magazines from the late 80s early 90s, when i was a member riding my new 1986 BMW R65. Glaves sounded familiar. Are you related to Voni Glaves as in Voni’s Big Adventure? I lived in Tyler, TX when i first read that story and for the past 30 years I’ve lived in Wyoming, so I have visited some of the territory she covered.
Thanks for the quick fix tip. I will get right on it.😎. Bill

Attachments

• 7866CF07-4272-49EA-9F4A-E7190C52CB9F.jpeg
    7866CF07-4272-49EA-9F4A-E7190C52CB9F.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 688E3716-CA4D-4437-843E-FA530D92B8B2.jpeg
    688E3716-CA4D-4437-843E-FA530D92B8B2.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 45
I still have a few MOA Owners News magazines from the late 80s early 90s, when i was a member riding my new 1986 BMW R65. Glaves sounded familiar. Are you related to Voni Glaves as in Voni’s Big Adventure? I lived in Tyler, TX when i first read that story and for the past 30 years I’ve lived in Wyoming, so I have visited some of the territory she covered.
Thanks for the quick fix tip. I will get right on it.😎. Bill

I am related to Voni Glaves. I even still have a Red T Shirt emblazoned Mr. Voni Glaves. I am also known as her mechanic and lover in that we have now been married a few months over 54 years.

Congrats on 54 years

I am related to Voni Glaves. I even still have a Red T Shirt emblazoned Mr. Voni Glaves. I am also known as her mechanic and lover in that we have now been married a few months over 54 years.

Congrats on 54 years. Y’all have 10 years on my wife and I. I too am my wife’s mechanic and lover. She rides a Harley Sportster which I’ve maintained for 20 years. I don’t have a tee shirt, but i do have a big button that says, I would be lost without my wife, which is true. She’s the brains of this bunch.😎

Back