• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil cooler return to block line has leak at fitting / 99 RT

flhfxd

Need to disconnect the cooler return line at the lower left side of the block and replace the 2 crush washers to see if this is my fix. Pretty sure these got butchered and are cause of leak. Approximately how much oil will drain out as I disconnect the banjo bolt, clean up the area, replace with 2 new crush washers and re-torque to spec? Is it just the quantity in the line? Thx

Need to disconnect the cooler return line at the lower left side of the block and replace the 2 crush washers to see if this is my fix. Pretty sure these got butchered and are cause of leak. Approximately how much oil will drain out as I disconnect the banjo bolt, clean up the area, replace with 2 new crush washers and re-torque to spec? Is it just the quantity in the line? Thx

I am not positive but believe that the oil that will drain out is what is in that line and the oil cooler. So I'm guessing maybe 500cc or so.

It will drain out of the block as well.
Either lay the bike on its side on the lawn or drain the crankcase into a clean container to reuse.

I heard of a trick, don't know if it works but if it did, your problem solved!

I have a customer that had the engine oil temp sensor on his machine start leaking and significantly after an oil change. He said that he duct taped a shop-vac to the oil fill and plugged the road draft tube, turned the vacuum on and removed the sensor and replaced it. He swears that the shop-vac held all 10 gallons of oil!

Could work????

Back