• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle instead of a car

My original point was that I used to ride my bike and could favor it based on better fuel economy (and lower insurance costs, but not lower tire costs) but now I choose the bike based on the fun factor, including moto-camping at big bike rallies. I also mentioned this for the irony of a 4-seater car getting better fuel economy compared to a motorcycle which itself gets excellent fuel economy.

Harry

Pretty much the only reason to ride, at least IMO. If you need to justify it, then maybe you need to take the car!

Harry's Prius Prime is a plug-up hybrid that earns (or did earn) a tax credit. In the case of a regular hybrid (non-plugin), there's no tax credit.

Living in South Florida my car stays covered up while I basically use my motorcycles for everything. I actually look forward to my 70 mile round trip to work. It "feels like" 105 degrees the past couple of weeks but with minimal traffic nowadays the commute is still enjoyable. It's all about having the proper gear.

Living in South Florida my car stays covered up while I basically use my motorcycles for everything. I actually look forward to my 70 mile round trip to work. It "feels like" 105 degrees the past couple of weeks but with minimal traffic nowadays the commute is still enjoyable. It's all about having the proper gear.

Do you have covered (shaded) parking at work?

Lucky me- we have a nice parking garage where I can change before walking into the office.

That's a big difference. Setting on a seat that's been in direct sunlight for 8 plus hours can be less than comfortable....

Last edited:
You can ride in snow and frozen streets as long as you don't brake or have to turn. And don't accelerate at any rate beyond that of a Geo Metro. Pretty impractical.

You can ride in slush, but not frozen streets. If you do it just falls over.

Last edited:
You can ride in snow and frozen streets as long as you don't brake or have to turn. And don't accelerate at any rate beyond that of a Geo Metro. Pretty impractical.

You can ride in slush, but not frozen streets. If you do it just falls over.

Well, not always.....

8155F586-2705-48E7-B62B-BABBBFAE8E81.jpg

That last video I wonder if the rider did anything other than try to maintain riding over the ice. I have run across ice like that and my instinct is to pull in the clutch and coast across it. Although sometimes to it just beyond slick and nothing you can do.

The guy on the sport bike, first video was just asking for trouble, well traveled roads and obviously the road surface was at or below freezing.

I knew i rider here in Fargo that rode a sport bike all winter, He did cheat and studd his tires!

These two rode from Key West to Deadhorse in February. We hosted them in Fairbanks for a week. They made up and back without a single fall.

P2250044.jpg

P2250056.jpg

P2240036.jpg

That's a big difference. Setting on a seat that's been in direct sunlight for 8 plus hours can be less than comfortable....

A towel wrapped over the seat does wonders for keeping it much cooler. I used this trick on many 100 plus degree days in the past. Also after being in the heat for more than a couple of decades it is much easier for me to tolerate it than when I first moved to Texas. The side effect is I now find it is a bit cool for me when previously I would have considered those cool temperatures T shirt weather.

Year round rider

I am a year round rider in the Boston area on a '14 RT. Ride to work every day (coldest was 7F) and only take the cage when the roads are sloppy/icy or the rain is pouring down. Do my shopping and many errands on it as well (get some funny looks at the Depot). Average 250-300 days of riding/yr. Just sold my primary vehicle and only keeping the beat-truck that I use for dump runs and plowing as my go-to when I can't take the RT. Any day on two wheels is a good day in my book.

I am a year round rider in the Boston area on a '14 RT. Ride to work every day (coldest was 7F) and only take the cage when the roads are sloppy/icy or the rain is pouring down. Do my shopping and many errands on it as well (get some funny looks at the Depot). Average 250-300 days of riding/yr. Just sold my primary vehicle and only keeping the beat-truck that I use for dump runs and plowing as my go-to when I can't take the RT. Any day on two wheels is a good day in my book.

Outstanding! I've thought of selling my primary vehicle but I refuse to use my wife's car. It's alway a mess.

You must have great riding gear.

Riding gear

Outstanding! I've thought of selling my primary vehicle but I refuse to use my wife's car. It's alway a mess.

You must have great riding gear.

Yes, heated grips and seat only go so far. I have good quality battery powered socks (Lenz) and gloves (Highway 21). My commute is 30 -40 minutes on the coldest days and that is the outside limit without going full heated jacket and pants.

Yes, heated grips and seat only go so far. I have good quality battery powered socks (Lenz) and gloves (Highway 21). My commute is 30 -40 minutes on the coldest days and that is the outside limit without going full heated jacket and pants.

When it's 7 degrees I need heated gear to step outside forget the motorcycle. I love living in Texas!

Back