• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

As if we don’t have enough to be concerned about- PFAS.

PFAS has been turning up more and more in public water supplies/wells.
It’s going to be an expensive problem to remedy. Probably a good idea to at least be aware of it and where concentrations are the worst.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/envir...olyfluoroalkyl-substances-pfas-drinking-water

Might be a good idea to do a little research on your location.

Good luck.

OM

One of several reasons I am happy to have my rainwater catchment system as my water supply. Now if it will only hurry up and rain. :)

One of several reasons I am happy to have my rainwater catchment system as my water supply. Now if it will only hurry up and rain. :)

Good to have a rain collection system, especially for daily chores. For drinking, I like a specific system to treat the water. Historically, especially when things are dry, many creatures that need a drink, drop by for a sip.
OM

Good to have a rain collection system, especially for daily chores. For drinking, I like a specific system to treat the water.
OM

The treatment system I have includes a pump, sediment filter, charcoal filter, and ultraviolet light tube for disinfection. The water quality is higher than almost any municipal system and virtually all rural water district systems.

The treatment system I have includes a pump, sediment filter, charcoal filter, and ultraviolet light tube for disinfection. The water quality is higher than almost any municipal system and virtually all rural water district systems.

Nice :thumb
OM

Ditto... Ours has been outstanding

potential crud in muni/ rural supplies definitely something to keep up with however. Our town recently over chlorinated a few weeks back and I passed on filling a water bottle on the bikes. Helen made a bad face smelling it.

I had a new drilled well put in last year. 200' and 10 gallons per minute for the win! We had it tested and it's super clean. Yay!

Ditto... Ours has been outstanding

potential crud in muni/ rural supplies definitely something to keep up with however. Our town recently over chlorinated a few weeks back and I passed on filling a water bottle on the bikes. Helen made a bad face smelling it.

It was because of Henzilla's system that I bought ours from the same place. I saw a post about it, asked him about it, and drove to Dripping Springs to get the system. Since the water is rainwater it has little to no mineral content. And since the system uses ultraviolet light to disinfect, it requires no chemicals. It came pre-assembled except the pump needed to be mounted to a small shelf. I added a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure going to our 45 year old Adobe house. Pipes built into concrete floors and adobe walls must never break.

Last edited:
It was because of Henzilla's system that I bought ours from the same place. I saw a post about it, asked him about it, and drove to Dripping Springs to get the system. Since the water is rainwater it has little to no mineral content. And since the system uses ultraviolet light to disinfect, it requires no chemicals. It came pre-assembled except the pump needed to be mounted to a small shelf. I added a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure going to our 45 year old Adobe house. Pipes built into concrete floors and adobe walls must never break.

Does this system have a brand name? In other words, who makes/sells it? Thanks.

I remember Scotchguard changing their formula because they found the original one was very persistent in the environment. At least I think I remember that.

We bought our house here in 2006 and moved in that October. W had a catchment system by the spring of 2007 but not purified for drinking water. By 2009 I was tired of hauling drinking water from town in 5 gallon containers. When I saw Henzilla's post in 2009 we talked and I went and got a "filter board" system like in his 9th photograph - link above. It has been working fine ever since.

Thanks for the info, gents.

I asked because we are in the middle of a family-beach-house purchase (that may or may not go through due to myriad complications) in an off-the-grid location. There's a well, but water quality is an issue - - primarily due to salination, but there could also be bacteria from septic systems.

Currently, drinking/cooking water is carried in. We'd like to change that in the future. Just doing research at this point and looking at options. Catchment is an interesting approach.

That is some great info John :thumb

On the beach house question, and wells/septic in general, the usual minimum separation is 100 feet.
OM

We plan to investigate bacterial contamination issues (if there are any) with the well water, but salinity is the known issue. Desalination is a well-understood solution, but is energy intensive. This house is off the grid so relies on solar generated power. Catchment could be one way to supplement fresh water supplies. I’m sure we’ll study la variety of possibilities.

The bigger concern is I may need to buy a TW to get out there on a motorcycle! :D

Thanks for the info, gents.

I asked because we are in the middle of a family-beach-house purchase (that may or may not go through due to myriad complications) in an off-the-grid location. There's a well, but water quality is an issue - - primarily due to salination, but there could also be bacteria from septic systems.

Currently, drinking/cooking water is carried in. We'd like to change that in the future. Just doing research at this point and looking at options. Catchment is an interesting approach.

We have been extremely pleased with our system. The founder of the business, Tank Town in Dripping Springs, started doing catchment systems in 1987. He called the resultant water "Cloud Juice". Since it is essentially distilled and filtered and disinfected water it really does beat most well water and most public water supply water too. Off grid it is the way to go in my opinion.

We plan to investigate bacterial contamination issues (if there are any) with the well water, but salinity is the known issue. Desalination is a well-understood solution, but is energy intensive. This house is off the grid so relies on solar generated power. Catchment could be one way to supplement fresh water supplies. I’m sure we’ll study la variety of possibilities.

The bigger concern is I may need to buy a TW to get out there on a motorcycle! :D

Doing catchment iin the mid-Atlantic region is downwind of numerous coal burning power plants and other old-line plants, make sure you filter for those airborne pollutants.

Back