• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not the usual Oil question

ldbeemer

I have a 2018 G310GS, I have the oil analyzed at each change, (3-4k). It has higher than normal amounts of Aluminum and fuel in the oil. The fuel contamination throws off the viscosity and the flash point. Are there any aluminum plates in the clutch that could cause high aluminum or would it be excessive piston/cylinder wear? The bike has over 14K miles total and has had its share of warranty issues that have been taken care of.

I would imagine the cylinder is coated with one of those hardness surfaces that typically would not shed any aluminum. The piston could be shedding some material as could the clutch basket. I believe the metal clutch plates are steel. You may want to cut your next oil filter apart and see if there are any larger pieces of aluminum. Keep on testing and reporting back for all us 310 owners.

If its still shedding aluminum after 100k I would have it torn down for an inspection:)

Wayne Koppa
Graying, MI
#71,449

I'm not at all familiar with the 310 engines, but fuel in the oil is NEVER a good sign. That combined with the metal in the oil would have me thinking rings.
Maybe try dunking a magnet in the old oil and see if anything sticks... I can't swear to it, but I thought metal clutch plates were steel. Whether or not it's magnetic depends on the alloy.
14,000+ miles and some warranty issues... Does your state have a Lemon Law?

I have a 2018 G310GS, I have the oil analyzed at each change, (3-4k). It has higher than normal amounts of Aluminum and fuel in the oil. The fuel contamination throws off the viscosity and the flash point. Are there any aluminum plates in the clutch that could cause high aluminum or would it be excessive piston/cylinder wear? The bike has over 14K miles total and has had its share of warranty issues that have been taken care of.

I don’t know what any of the specs are for oil- good or bad. Sounds like the bike is well within the warranty period so....... approach your dealer with your concerns and give them copies of your oil analysis. This will document your concerns should it become a problem.
You can also try another place for the oil analysis, I think around here they seem to like Blackstone?
You can check your oil level to see if fuel is filling your crankcase.
You can smell your oil to see if it has a gasoline smell to it.
You can check your fuel economy and compare it to other reported MPG.
You can change brands of gasoline that you have been using.
You didn’t mention if it was using any oil or if you were using any fuel additives/stabilizers.
Try to report back and let us know how you make out.
OM

I don’t know what any of the specs are for oil- good or bad. Sounds like the bike is well within the warranty period so....... approach your dealer with your concerns and give them copies of your oil analysis. This will document your concerns should it become a problem.
You can also try another place for the oil analysis, I think around here they seem to like Blackstone?
You didn’t mention if it was using any oil or if you were using any fuel additives/stabilizers.
OM

All very good advice.

OM

Blackstone is the lab i use for all my vehicles
Oil level is always mid glass, I do not need to add oil between changes
Oil dosn't smell gassy
I'm getting in the low 70 MPGs in the summer temperatures
Brand of gas makes no difference, currently using non ethaol high test
Use no oil or gas addatives

I think I will change brand of oil to see if that makes a difference after the next change. Currently using BelRay SynBlend 15/50
I still have 12 months of warranty to see if it blows up.
Piece by piece they are giving me a new bike. Charging system failed in 3k miles including the battery, complete dash pod replaced, brakes front and rear on recall with front rotar which warped, and this week they just replaced the water pump because of the seal leak.

Oil dosn't smell gassy

I think I will change brand of oil to see if that makes a difference after the next change. Currently using BelRay SynBlend 15/50
Piece by piece they are giving me a new bike. Charging system failed in 3k miles including the battery, complete dash pod replaced, brakes front and rear on recall with front rotar which warped, and this week they just replaced the water pump because of the seal leak.
Sounds like you are on the right track with what you are keeping an eye on. I would try BMW branded oil next time.
Did Blackstone ask about the use of non-ethanol fuel? Non-ethanol is not needed but I would use it if I had a close source.

Got to love the long warranty that comes along with a BMW motorcycle....... even if you would rather not use it.

I m interested in hearing more.

OM

Oil dosn't smell gassy

Update to this. Looking at the Three oil reports, the first one was for BMW Oil, which the dealer put in at the breakin service #2 was for shell ultra, #3 was for BelRay.
The best report was for the Shell ultra the worst was the BMW oil, but to be fair it was still breaking in so I'm not bashing the BMW oil perse.
Here is my last report, if I attached it correctly, they read right to left by date.
View attachment 20-18-07-G310.pdf

I would like to see a test BEFORE the oil is filled in to have a better comparison of what was added while running with that oil.

Sodium? Calcium? Looks like a blood test of mine. :scratch:dunno

/Guenther

I would like to see a test BEFORE the oil is filled in to have a better comparison of what was added while running with that oil.

Sodium? Calcium? Looks like a blood test of mine. :scratch:dunno

/Guenther

I do not add any additives to the oil. What comes out of the bottle is all that goes in the bike. All modern oils have additives already added.
I had Blackstone do an analysis of virgin oil and that report is attached.
View attachment BEL-RAY SYN BLEND-200826.pdf

Back