• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 R100/7 "scrambler" in Seattle. Know it?

slash5er

Hey-
I'm in Michigan and my son lives in the eastern Sierra in California. He has decided his Beemer "lacks soul" and wants an airhead. He's chatted with a guy in Seattle who has a bike listed on Craigslist. I've owned airheads for the many years and talked with the fellow too. He seems knowledgeable and says he's a motorcycle mechanic and has 9 airheads and another 6 newer bikes. My concern is that this guy does not show up in the Anonymous Book nor in the Airheads' Dairectory. Seems like a mechanic with 9 airheads would have some sort of club affiliation. Maybe I'm just too suspicious. ;-)

The bike's got an open Alaska title from 2 owners back. I guess if you have 15 bikes you don't get around to plating them all. My son's a 15 hour drive from Seattle so can't really just pop up there and take a look.

I'm wondering if anybody is familiar with this bike or the seller "Dan".

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-1977-bmw-r100-7-scrambler/7186451931.html

Thanks in advance!

JohnD

Club membership and so forth

Some people don't like being listed in the anonymous book, some people just don't do clubs.

I myself belong to the BMWMOA and have for a long time. I don't belong to my local BMW club for reasons I won't discuss here.

After being insulted by the forum moderators and some of the big shots at the Airhead BMW club, I choose not to belong to them. An aside for that is I find the BMWMOA forum is very well run and the moderators are professional. I won't say what I think of the two Airhead moderators, just I hope I never meet them where I can tell them what I think of them *I did tell them what I think of them in writing.

Friends of mine also have various reasons for not belonging to clubs and such.

My local airhead shop owner does not belong to any clubs or organizations, he does not even advertise other than by word of mouth.

So, I have rambled and given a lot of reasons for not being a club member.

In this case, the fellow with the bike for sale very well may be a great guy to buy from. He might also be a crook or sometimes even worse, an "expert" at screwing things up because he doesn't know one end of an airhead from another. Believe me, there are far more of those people about than you think. This pertains not only to used airheads but some of the upcoming and new "custom bike shops". Just because a guy can make an airhead out of a scrambler, doesn't mean the bike will be a joy to ride, ride well or be reliable.

Buying a used airhead is fraught with danger not only by buying from strangers who don't belong to clubs but even from people who do proclaim to be experts and expert mechanics.

If this guy who is selling the bike is legit, he will be known by others. You have done a good thing asking here about him. Take a look in the resource section of the MOA and see if he is listed as a business or if there is an airhead shop near him, perhaps they know of him and can give you a thumbs up or down. If there is an anonymous member listed near by who has Coffee and conversation as an option, give him or her a call, they may know the guy.

As I have said, putting this thread in is a start, mind you, not every MOA member even reads the forum.

I was burned on a used bike sale. A pretty bike can hide a lot of sins. I found out the hard way. My soiled dove is now a very lovely lady but it took me a lot of cash to get her there. Cheers, St.

It might be ok, but the title just seems suspicious.... Out of state AND two owners back??? And the photos show a Washington plate - "Oh, I just put that on to test ride it around the neighborhood..." You don't get a plate without an updated title (unless WA does things differently?). Most states (if not all?) have laws that clearly state that titles must be transferred within a fixed time (typ 30 days), unless he is a licensed dealer. Even if that's the case, the "previous" owner also failed to comply... why? Another dealer? It might even be worthwhile to ask for the VIN and have your DMV run it.
BTW, compare the rear brake arm in the various photos...

I agree with the earlier posts regarding membership choices and the title issue. If that could be resolved to your son's satisfaction, you might ask for a written warranty miles, time frame or both, and then ride the bike to make sure all is good.

One question, I'm not seeing turn signals so is it titlable in CA? What else has been modified that may affect the ability to title it in CA? The super trapps should do a good job of covering up engine, trans, drive train noises... At any rate, a good looking bike and it looks like the right things have been done to it.

Turn sigs depends on the year; it was either '76 or '78 (?) that they became mandatory - and if the "factory" bike didn't have them, a restoration won't require them.

Run

Looking at the ad, I would not doubt the seller might be an airhead mechanic. There are a lot of people who claim that but should not touch bikes.

My main concern is the titles. I myself would NEVER buy a bike that did not have a clear, clean title in the state where it is being sold and in the Owner/seller's name.

Every state is different, but boy I live in one of the strictest states for title and registration and having had in the past to deal the department of motor vehicles, little things can turn a ridable bike into a lump in the garage.

As for a warranty, they are only as good as the person giving them. Again, each state is different, some states are clear in the fact if there is a problem with title and registration, and the buyer cannot register or title the bike, they are due a total refund from the seller. I don't know if you are in one of those states.

If the seller of this bike is reading these posts, I think you should get your ducks in order and get clean title. If anyone knows this guy as a friend, I would be a buddy and tell him to the same thing.

Besides asking us in the forum about the seller as I mentioned you can do some detective work yourself. I love the modern age of the internet as so much stuff is available now instantaneously both good and bad. If this guy is in the business of selling bikes or is a BMW mechanic, someone will know him.
Good luck. St.

Don’t buy anything on Emotion hastily. Especially w/o a clear title.(and involving 2 other states).

15 hrs away. You can buy frustration locally.
Find something closer to home to buy on Emotion. If it’s not available now, it will be.

Charlie

p.s. I have done All of the above before.

Emotion

Better to buy big ticket items without emotion, or at least with some emotion and a very large amount of reason and logic.

My sister years ago bought a VW beetle on emotion only. Mind you I like the old airhead beetles, they were a great fun car for what they were. Anyway, her beetle had been owned by a jerk. By the time she got is sorted out the emotion had changed.

If she had used a bit of reason and logic, she would have waited a week to buy one in better condition with less problems. St.

Back