• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can I put GS handlebars on an RT?

More specifically, can I put the fork brace that HOLDS the handlebars from a GS/A on to an RT?

What I want to do is mount a set of Heli Bars on my RT, but the full set only comes for a GS/A. Long story, but I'm looking for some verification that the fork braces are interchangeable before I plunk down $600 for the Heli Bars.

Anyone?

Sadly this is not the information you want--this is a 'me too'. I have been asking around about this. Are you looking to remove the cast, single piece handlebars on a RTW, which also act as the triple tree top clamp, then mount a GS top clamp, which you can then put a tube type set of bars on, like a GS?
Put this at the top of the forks:
s-l300.jpg
I need to get my controls closer to me not higher and all the 'add to stock bars' products mostly raise the controls due to the fluid reservoirs getting in the way. I am short with short arms and find the position I am stuck in bothersome after a bunch of miles. If I can get the bike to take tube type bars I can fab up the perfect shape for my needs.
yes, hoses and wires may need to be lengthened somehow. Yes-it may change the steering feel. yes, the GS bars taper from clamp to controls.
I have studied the parts fiche for both bikes and it looks possible--but would love to hear from someone who may have done this. Are the 3 posts the same distance, diameter and top mounting style?
ANYONE?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly what I want to do, but I want to replace the cast handlebars with a set of HeliBars that are made for the GS and not for the RT.

Back