• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R 1200 GS swing arm replacement

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
hi all, I need to replace my swing arm,I am wondering if I can leave the driveshaft in place, and slip the swing arm out and and slide the replacement back in? any thoughts/ experience?

Yes, you can pull swingarm w/out pulling shaft. The GS seems to have more room than RT
Need to pull fixed and threaded pivot pins and it will slide off. Hardest task is getting front boot all neat and tidy after install!

thanks, did the r and r last week, went well, took about 5 hours. i have almost 1000 miles, feels good.

Out of curiosity, why did you need to replace a swing arm which is not normally considered to be a wear part?

the lower bolt on my rear shock broke, in 2 places. got the first piece out, new bolt wouldn't go all the way in. found the second piece removed that, was running a tap to clean the threads, somehow the tap got stuck and broke. so I replaced the swing arm.

Back