• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW battery charger

dbrick

rabid reader
When I bought my '07 R1200R it came with a BMW battery charger p/n 71 60 7 688 865, a small solid-state device.

IMG_5314.jpeg

The charger has a red LED (marked "0-1/3"), a yellow LED (marked "1/3"), another yellow LED (marked "2/3"), and a green LED (marked "3/3"). When first connected, the red LED illuminates. Then either after a few seconds, the first yellow LED lights up, then it'd be replaced by the second yellow LED, and finally the green LED. After some time (an hour? two?), the cycle would begin again, and eventually process back through all the LEDs. I use the charger when the bike hasn't been ridden for several weeks.

The charger worked easily until just recently. Lately, however, the charging cycle reaches only the second yellow LED ("2/3"); the green LED ("3/3") never illuminates.

The battery (Yuasa YTX14H-BS) is new, and cranks the motor in a healthy manner.

I suspect that something inside the charger has died, but I don't know (and don't know how to know) if that affects only the display LEDs, or is actually limiting the charging in some manner.

Anyone have an ideas here?

Dave - Looks like BMW is still selling that item. MaxBMW has it for $189.00

See: Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.22.41 PM.png

If it has given up the ghost after 13 years, there are more than a few very good alternatives for much lower costs.

I hope all's well with you in SC. Thanks for taking me in on my road trip back in 2012!

Hi John!

Nice to hear from you. Be glad to have you again if you come out here again.

I can't say I'm eager to put out the coin for a new BMW one, perhaps — going way out on a limb here — there's better newer tech in the intervening 14 years from someone else at a lower price. I've not looked in any detail. Have you a recommendation for a low-cost one that'd do?

-David

When I bought my '07 R1200R it came with a BMW battery charger p/n 71 60 7 688 865, a small solid-state device.

View attachment 80212

The charger has a red LED (marked "0-1/3"), a yellow LED (marked "1/3"), another yellow LED (marked "2/3"), and a green LED (marked "3/3"). When first connected, the red LED illuminates. Then either after a few seconds, the first yellow LED lights up, then it'd be replaced by the second yellow LED, and finally the green LED. After some time (an hour? two?), the cycle would begin again, and eventually process back through all the LEDs. I use the charger when the bike hasn't been ridden for several weeks.

The charger worked easily until just recently. Lately, however, the charging cycle reaches only the second yellow LED ("2/3"); the green LED ("3/3") never illuminates.

The battery (Yuasa YTX14H-BS) is new, and cranks the motor in a healthy manner.

I suspect that something inside the charger has died, but I don't know (and don't know how to know) if that affects only the display LEDs, or is actually limiting the charging in some manner.

Anyone have an ideas here?

Did it ever work differently with this battery? Is there anyway to connect direct the battery instead of thru the CANBUS system?

That'd be pretty easy, but I haven't done it yet. I will. Over the years, and two or three batteries, the charger worked consistently as I described in my first post. It only changed its tune within the last month or so, and I have noticed no other changes or oddities.

I agree that it'd be prudent to try a direct connection before assuming the issue is with the charger. But I must say that given how how things used to work, and how the charger and the bike are behaving now...I think the issue is with the charger, not the bike.

That'd be pretty easy, but I haven't done it yet. I will. Over the years, and two or three batteries, the charger worked consistently as I described in my first post. It only changed its tune within the last month or so, and I have noticed no other changes or oddities.

I agree that it'd be prudent to try a direct connection before assuming the issue is with the charger. But I must say that given how how things used to work, and how the charger and the bike are behaving now...I think the issue is with the charger, not the bike.

I have a 30-year old Battery tender that I used as a winter maintainer on my car. One year, it just quit going to fully charged on the car battery (flashing instead of steady green light). On an MC battery, it's fine.

Back