• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TRUCKS!!!! Let's See 'em and Hear About 'em

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I suspect there are many truck owners among us on this forum, and I also believe there are those who think them to be wasteful and necessary. Well this is the place to show off your truck, tell us about your truck history or expound on why you have a low opinion of them. This forum needs a truck discussion.

I've owned a truck since the late 70s except when I was assigned to West Germany. First was a Chevy C10 followed by (in no particular order) 1951 Chevy, 75 Ford, 90 Chevy, three Toyotas (84, 2005, 2010), 94 Nissan, 98 Dodge and as of yesterday a 2020 Honda Ridgeline. Yup, that's right a Ridgeline. I've already seen the schism it can cause among family and friends, but I searched for the right truck to replace my 2010 Tundra and the Ridgeline is the right truck at the right time for me.

Best comment so far was from a cop friend.... "Nice truck, didn't they have anything in the men's department?" He drives a diesel Ram 3500, so you can see the difference in expectations for a truck.

So tell us about your truck.

70cee9f9ae54254cfefd973b7ab79982x-jpg.png

Never considered taking a pic of the truck

Current truck is a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD 4-cyl with a stick. It replaced a 91 Delux (US version of the HiLux) 4WD 4cyl with a stick and no options. The '91 had to go away when the brake lines started to fail on a regular basis.

My Dad drove Buick cars, but was a Ford man when it came to trucks. I learned to drive in a '66 Buick Wildcat and a '65 F250 2WD with the boat tiller shifter. Tire chains? ...... It's how you went to hunting camp.

Last edited:
I know I’ll get flamed for the comment. [emoji3]

It’s a car unless you can put plywood between the wheel wells and close the tailgate.

It’s a car unless you can put plywood between the wheel wells and close the tailgate.

The Ridgeline can accomodate a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed with the tailgate lowered.

Congrats on your new Ridgeline, from a fellow (G1) owner. Best four-wheeled vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Ignore the flamethrowers. Some people rate trucks by how much air they can haul around in their always empty bed.

I’m bias as I’m a carpenter and constantly carrying plywood. I scoff at the guys in my trade with their 6.5’ beds with lumber barely strapped on in their “cars”. [emoji3]
I admit having a prejudice against short bed trucks.

I only flaming the guys in the trades.
No harm intended.

Don’t worry about it. You have the truck that fits your needs, and others have the one that fits theirs. My only suggestion is don’t make assumptions about others’ requirements. There is a reason such a wide variety of offerings is available.

Not unlike the bikes represented by the owners here each one serves the owner's purpose. None better, none worse. I have two trucks. One a '94 F150, and the other, this one a '48 Power Wagon. Not sure how many pieces of plywood or sheet rock it will carry, but it will move a house, haul two full cord of firewood, or two horses.

P1020002.jpg

94 Chevy C1500

I bought the truck with 93,000 miles on it about 15 years ago. I had troubles with her from the get go.
After the first two weeks I named her Jezzabelle. Anyway, things calmed down after awhile and regular maintenance.
At around 330,000 miles I dropped the trans and had it rebuilt. The two winters before it wouldn't shift into gear right away. The clutch packs were worn.
During that august I had started to see trans fluid on the driveway. The front seal was leaking.
I knew if I kept fooling around and not take care of it, I would be pulling the trans in the driveway with snow blowing around in January.
Now, she has 494,000 miles on her and the body is looking rusted, but I didn't worry last year when I drove to California to pick up a matchless.

I bought the truck with 93,000 miles on it about 15 years ago. I had troubles with her from the get go.
After the first two weeks I named her Jezzabelle. Anyway, things calmed down after awhile and regular maintenance.
At around 330,000 miles I dropped the trans and had it rebuilt. The two winters before it wouldn't shift into gear right away. The clutch packs were worn.
During that august I had started to see trans fluid on the driveway. The front seal was leaking.
I knew if I kept fooling around and not take care of it, I would be pulling the trans in the driveway with snow blowing around in January.
Now, she has 494,000 miles on her and the body is looking rusted, but I didn't worry last year when I drove to California to pick up a matchless.

I guessing your truck doesn’t have any lane keeping aides or adaptive cruise control. Just a SWAG.

Latest in a long string of trucks dating back to 1973, the 2016 Ram 1500 shown below. This was purchased as both daily driver and tow rig for an enclosed trailer that was a bit more than I was comfortable with on my Dodge Dakota. With 5.7L engine, 8spd tranny, and 3.92 gearing it’s been reliable and comfortable. Easily capable of handling 3-4 occupants and 3-4 bikes in a trailer for winter getaways. :)

E365B824-B18C-457B-81AC-4D926C7D143C.jpeg

Trucks

I purchased my 3rd non- ford pickup this year, 1st truck 1966 Chevy 1/2, v8 engine, 3 on the tree, And a homemade wooden camper top, originally used has truck for the survey crews of two engineering firms, it got me through my junior and senior year of college (1972-1974 ). After the Chevy all ford trucks until the dodge truck last before the ram enough said.
This I purchased a 2019 Nissan ( a Mini Cooper clubman only other foreign brand I have owned)

A3BC4763-361A-4438-B528-01C31AB5551E.jpeg
Very nice truck I liked it

E2C861E2-BDE9-4FAC-9F63-2391AFE5E5D1.jpeg
July 15th the tornado it saved the Lincoln :banghead. I am supposed to get the truck back tomorrow after about $14,000 in repairs :banghead I wonder if I will be happy with results.

Attachments

• 819E06F2-AA3B-4D31-950B-0B46D1111B21.jpeg
    819E06F2-AA3B-4D31-950B-0B46D1111B21.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 162

If I need to do that, they have a trailer at Uhaul for $20/day.......................

I purchased my 3rd non- ford pickup this year, 1st truck 1966 Chevy 1/2, v8 engine, 3 on the tree, And a homemade wooden camper top, originally used has truck for the survey crews of two engineering firms, it got me through my junior and senior year of college (1972-1974 ). After the Chevy all ford trucks until the dodge truck last before the ram enough said.
This I purchased a 2019 Nissan ( a Mini Cooper clubman only other foreign brand I have owned)

View attachment 80198
Very nice truck I liked it

View attachment 80199
July 15th the tornado it saved the Lincoln :banghead. I am supposed to get the truck back tomorrow after about $14,000 in repairs :banghead I wonder if I will be happy with results.

It is surprising to me that the insurance company paid to repair your truck instead of totaling it. Was the damage largely cosmetic?

Busted truck

It is surprising to me that the insurance company paid to repair your truck instead of totaling it. Was the damage largely cosmetic?

When they were at $12,500+- body shop claimed they could do another 10,000 in repairs before getting to the magic 55% of new value. Damage mostly roof, sunroof, luggage rack, all the inside roof stuff.
On the hauling side this is a nice four door Car with a 5’x5’x1.5’ open trunk with a tailgate. But I have a 18 foot flatbed trailer and a 10’x6’ cargo trailer. The truck has the same or more towing capacity as my 2002 F150 which has a 8’ bed you can see part of that truck in the driveway picture of course nothin hit the 2002 truck, a big limb took off the side mirror of my old 2004 explorer which my nephew now owns which was parked about 3 feet from the old truck.

No matter what......ya gotta use it to "truck"

This ol 03 for sure is paid for and used on that leg of life for a 3 month sojurn from the Keys over to Ft. Davis by Mr. and Mrs Glaves in West Texas.........Yes, the bicycles get us around campgrounds and ride on top with the Kayak/Sail that is used in the ocean over at the Keys or Texas lakes and rivers. It carries that full load all geared up and pulls the Airstream where and when it is called upon.........

lol.....at home it might be the horse trailer takin mules for a long ride or the trailer with 7 or more round bales for them to feed on........

THE DEAL IS, YA GOTTA USE EM......Not just move a piece of plywood..........

:laugh :whistle :blush

sunrise ft davis smaller.jpg

Back