• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Gear in Tall sizes

daveslash5

My 16 year old Aerostich Roadcrafter two piece suit needs replacing. It is still in great condition, but I have lost 35 lbs. and it now fits like I am wearing a tent. I went from 210 to 175 lbs on a 6'2" frame with an ectomorphic body shape: long torso, arms and legs. Dropping down a couple of sizes on a Roadcrafter to fit my new girth, I will probably have to have a custom sized suit made to get the sleeve and leg lengths that I need.
I REALLY like the 'stich, but I also wonder what other quality two piece suits are offered in tall sizes. It seems that most of the brands offer only a medium, verses talls or shorts, at least from what I have seen on the websites. If you have any suggestions, I would be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

I thought that aerostich was capable of all sorts of modifications to their basic offerings- especially since they are made in-house- are you saying that their customizations still won't accommodate your interesting shape? AHHHH I reread before posting-wise move- Motoport gets good comments around here and they are pretty custom from the get-go. pricey too. I'm also surprised at the varience in so-called stock sizes of things Klim, BMW, Olympia...maybe a roadtrip to a well stocked showroom would prove rewarding.

I went from 210 to 175 lbs. on a 6'2" frame with an ectomorphic body shape: long torso, arms and legs.

We are of similar builds. I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam and now weigh 176 lbs. I was 186 lbs. for many years and as high as 206 lbs. I have a 'Stich two piece classic Roadcrafter. The jacket is 44L. The pants are also 44L. With the pants zipped to the jacket, I used to get pressure on my knees that was uncomfortable. For a few years I used an ellipse extender to help with that, but it was still an issue. I then switched to a Bib Pants Converter w/suspenders in order to wear the pants separate from the jacket, which resolved the issue of pressure on my knees. Sometimes I'll wear riding pants with vent panels on the thighs with the Roadcrafter jacket.

Harry

Both my wife and I have BMW and Klim pants in tall sizes.
My BMW pants have a 34" inseam and my Klim pants have a 35" inseam.

Thanks for the replies.

Harry, were your jacket and pants "off the rack" or did you have them made to order? I have and use the ellipse and have the bib, but prefer to zip top and bottom together. I figure there would be less movement in case of an extreme get off. My current Roadcrafter sizes are 46L (top) and 46R (bottom) and they arms and legs hit where they should.
I was guessing a 42 or 44 long to try on, but figured that I might have to send it back and do a custom order for the extra length. You info gives me hope that I can get it from stock.

Lee,Thanks for the tip on the BMW and Klim. I will check with the BMW shops in the area about the longs. I have not seen any in stock. ditto on the Klims. Maybe they have "normal" folks doing the ordering.

Rick, thanks for the tip. I will try some of different sizes to see how they fit.

Last edited:
I just looked at the Aerostich website and they are having an "OVERSTOCK SALE" AT 30-40% OFF. There are limited selections, I just ordered a new suit. I'll see how it fits and if the arms are too short, I send it back.

That was fast!

Harry, were your jacket and pants "off the rack" or did you have them made to order?

Both jacket and pants were off the rack with the exception that I had them put the longer collar closure tab on the second Roadcrafter jacket I got from them. I still am using the original pants which are pretty old now. I have several other pairs of riding pants besides the Roadcrafter ones.

Harry

Lee,Thanks for the tip on the BMW and Klim. I will check with the BMW shops in the area about the longs. I have not seen any in stock. ditto on the Klims. Maybe they have "normal" folks doing the ordering.

I agree, we rarely see tall sizes at shops. It's really hard for women to find tall gear at shops.
Last year at the Lebanon rally Black Hills Moto had some Klim pants that fit my wife good except the length. After the rally they shipped her a pair of talls and said she could return them if the knee armor did not hit her right.
If you can't find anything in shops ask the shop if they would be willing to order a tall size for you to try. If the shop can't do that buy from a online shop that has free returns.

Thanks Harry; I have placed an order for the 44L on the Aerostich sale site in the same color as my old suit. The sleeves are listed as 1 1/2" shorter than my 46L which fits my arms well. If it does not work I will at least know the body size (42L vs 44L) and measure the arms for a proper fit. By the Aerostich chart I should be a 42L (heigth, weigth and chest) but the arms will be 3" shorter than my 46L, so if I do have to get a 42 it will need to be a custom arm length. But that being said, your experiance with the 44L gives me hope.

Lee; Thanks for jogging my memory on ordering. At a rally a few years ago, I purchased a tall Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket, but they did not have the tall pants in stock, so I had that shipped to me. It does open up possibilities.

Klim's Kodiak two piece suits come in more European sizing, with normal or tall options. I am 6'1" with a slim relatively short torso but very long arms & legs. I just obtained a set of their jacket and pants a few weeks ago. It about the only American made clothing I have ever been able to buy off the rack that fit me perfectly. None of Klim's other model jackets or pants would have ever fit me. I studied Klim's and Revzilla's sizing guides very carefully before ordering. Though Revzilla claimed to have stock on both pieces, one piece was simply drop shipped direct from Klim, which seems to be how several other Klim dealers operate. Both pieces arrived fast enough. I opted to buy through Revilla than Klim direct in the event I needed to deal with returns or exchanges in the event sizing was off.

Klim's Kodiak two piece suits come in more European sizing, with normal or tall options. I am 6'1" with a slim relatively short torso but very long arms & legs. I just obtained a set of their jacket and pants a few weeks ago. It about the only American made clothing I have ever been able to buy off the rack that fit me perfectly. None of Klim's other model jackets or pants would have ever fit me. I studied Klim's and Revzilla's sizing guides very carefully before ordering. Though Revzilla claimed to have stock on both pieces, one piece was simply drop shipped direct from Klim, which seems to be how several other Klim dealers operate. Both pieces arrived fast enough. I opted to buy through Revilla than Klim direct in the event I needed to deal with returns or exchanges in the event sizing was off.

American made? The label says that?

American made? The label says that?

My Kodiak pants and jacket each say they were made in Vietnam. They very proudly and prominently say they are designed and developed in the US, but you have to dig a bit to find the small print tag saying where they are made.

My Kodiak pants and jacket each say they were made in Vietnam. They very proudly and prominently say they are designed and developed in the US, but you have to dig a bit to find the small print tag saying where they are made.

That's what I thought...........

Rukka is good gear but I've been riding since 1977 and have never seen a piece of Rukka gear in a shop.

They show shop locations here: http://www.rukka-usa.com/stockists.html
That includes Revzilla.

This page also includes a catalog you can flip through if you zoom your browser in enough to be able to read it: http://www.rukka-usa.com/

I haven't spent the time to figure out if they have pants in 36" inseam. All of it is pricey...

Harry

They show shop locations here: http://www.rukka-usa.com/stockists.html
That includes Revzilla.

This page also includes a catalog you can flip through if you zoom your browser in enough to be able to read it: http://www.rukka-usa.com/

I haven't spent the time to figure out if they have pants in 36" inseam. All of it is pricey...

Harry

I think all good gear is pricey, but in my experience you get what you pay for at least in regard to gear.

Back