Thread: Shadow of the Rockies

Shadow of the Rockies

Heading out in a couple weeks to Colarado to ride the TAT Shadow of the Rockies. Starting out in Trinidad and heading north using Sam Correro maps. I'll be riding my 17 GSA with a set of Anakee Wilds. Looking to see if anyone else has taken this or similar ride. Maybe points of interest or advice on terrain. Thanks.
    2017 R1200GSA. 2011 HD RKC. 1999 Excelsoir Henderson.

I have done a couple "Getting High in Colorado" rides (I think that's what they call 'em) where you get as many feet of altitude as you can in a given time, say, 200k over a 3-day weekend, maybe, or 100k in a 24-hour period, maybe; something like that. Since I don't get off road unless I get lost, my high-pass rides are limited to those that are paved. Still a great way to spend a weekend.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I have done a couple "Getting High in Colorado" rides (I think that's what they call 'em) where you get as many feet of altitude as you can in a given time, say, 200k over a 3-day weekend, maybe, or 100k in a 24-hour period, maybe; something like that. Since I don't get off road unless I get lost, my high-pass rides are limited to those that are paved. Still a great way to spend a weekend.

Good luck.
    From my time living in Kansas the goal of a "Getting High in Kansas" ride would be 10 ft in a week.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    From my time living in Kansas the goal of a "Getting High in Kansas" ride would be 10 ft in a week.
    Or ... riding to Goodland and buying some pot from the first car coming out of Colorado?!?!
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

A mild correction. Facts matter. The low point in Kansas is 679 feet msl where the Verdigris River enters Oklahoma south of Coffeyville. The high point is 4,039 feet msl at what has been somewhat accurately named Mount Sunflower. This is an elevation rise of 3,360 feet. The distance between these two points is 482 miles. Given the 8 curves (not counting in-town corners) between these two points this is a mere one day ride. Two days for geezers. Three days for Urals. Google Maps estimates normal travel time at 7 hours and 2 minutes partially by Interstate 70 and 7 hours and 56 minutes on two lane roads. So lets just say 8 hours. That is a nosebleed inducing elevation rise of 420 feet an hour for riders of normal motorcycles. On Urals the body has time to become acclimatized even without breakdowns.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A mild correction. Facts matter. The low point in Kansas is 679 feet msl where the Verdigris River enters Oklahoma south of Coffeyville. The high point is 4,039 feet msl at what has been somewhat accurately named Mount Sunflower. This is an elevation rise of 3,360 feet. The distance between these two points is 482 miles. Given the 8 curves (not counting in-town corners) between these two points this is a mere one day ride. Two days for geezers. Three days for Urals. Google Maps estimates normal travel time at 7 hours and 2 minutes partially by Interstate 70 and 7 hours and 56 minutes on two lane roads. So lets just say 8 hours. That is a nosebleed inducing elevation rise of 420 feet an hour for riders of normal motorcycles. On Urals the body has time to become acclimatized even without breakdowns.
    Thank you for the optimistic assesment of the Ural's capabilities. Does the route between the low spot and the high spot take one thru Cawker City? If not, then I may need to add a day or two so I can see the World's Largest Ball of String.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Thank you for the optimistic assesment of the Ural's capabilities. Does the route between the low spot and the high spot take one thru Cawker City? If not, then I may need to add a day or two so I can see the World's Largest Ball of String.
    Rerouting to see the world famous Ball of Twine will add 61 miles to the journey so to be safe we need to make it four days for the Urals.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

As I've heard said somewhere before; "that's funny no matter who you are"! ...AND, I see zero alternative facts in the above statement.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... every mile of the road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)