• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New around these parts...

Just joined up, was probably a member when I last had a motorcycle about 25 years ago, when I sold my '72 R75/5.

Fast forward and I retired from teaching after almost 30 years, moved to the country, and started looking for a bike now that I have quiet roads and more time to explore them.

I do a lot of cycling (10,000 miles on my bicycle last year), and was interested in a small dual sport (like a KLX230), when a cycling friend puts his '84 R80ST up for sale.

Yup...so I went ahead and bought it...

August 28, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

August 28, 2020 bmw by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

Here's a pic of my old BMW from what seems to be a whole lifetime ago...

August 23, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

Welcome, SPP! The ST is a nice bike for ambling around the countryside! What part of the country will you be exploring?

Welcome, Pete, from the coast of Kansas. Nice looking ol' BMW that you picked up. Congratulations.

Update...

Bike is currently at Max BMW in Troy for 12,000 mile service, swap tank back to original, rebuild and sync carbs, fix a few oil leaks, front brake flush and master cylinder rebuild, new rear shock, etc.

Looking forward to getting it back soon...

Here's how it will look with the original tank installed...

1984 R80ST by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

Wilkommen Pete!

Good 4 U, landing a cool R-bike to get U back into motorcycling!
Couldn't happen to a more deserving former teacher. :thumb

Happy Trails this beyond-covid year out on the road. :clap
Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Gonna have to wait a bit.

Bike needed a bit of work, including need for a new driveshaft and rear shock.

I'm just going to have to be patient and look forward to getting it back in really great shape.

SPP

Back