Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Garage Door Opener...

I found this adhesive-backed switch by doing a Google Image search for "momentary switch" a few years ago. This looks very similar.

https://www.tapeswitch.com/store/pro....php?prod=8201

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    While this appears to be an attractive solution I understand this can be an expensive alternative and often has unwanted feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by marlen.padberg View Post
    ... On my old 2010 RT, I took the plate where the audio controls typically go, and drilled a hole, mounted a small push-button and soldered in a dissected garage door opener, and mounted it behind the fairing panel. My old RT did not have the audio system, so that audio controls panel was just a plate and plenty of room....
    That's the solution that works best for me. I lost one opener carrying it in the tank bag - not totally zipped for easy access, flipped it over when gassing up, I think.
    Opener in pocket does not work for me, too much room for it to move around in the pocket, so I have to hunt for it and it sometimes gets flipped over so the buttons are on the wrong side. With gloves, it just means too much time with my hand off the bar while on approach to the driveway. And that's assuming I remembered to transfer the remote from my other jacket. On the bike, I can find it quickly without looking because it is always in the same spot. It also comes in handy when working in the garage because I'm usually closer to the bike than the other door buttons at the house door.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by vawas View Post
    While this appears to be an attractive solution I understand this can be an expensive alternative and often has unwanted feedback.
    As a stand alone product that is probably true. But if you get it as part of a package deal it’s pretty economical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a small remote on the fairing near the speaker. I attached the remote with Scotchlock so I can stow it when I am traveling away from home. The speaker shields the remote from rain a bit. I've had it soaked in the rain once and had to replace the battery when it dried out.

I have a similar setup on the R80RT using a larger remote. The R80RT used to sit outside at work so I added tape to make the remote more water resistant. I solved the problem by retiring so the R80RT does not have to sit outside anymore.

IMG_2264.jpgIMG_2265.jpeg

I recently replaced my door opener, and it is wifi capable. I can use my iPhone or my Apple Watch to open the door using a shortcut or Siri. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garage Door Opener options!

Quote Originally Posted by dlong0609 View Post
    Momentary switch hack...

Ok, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I saw the mo-door, which was appealing, but already have the garage door opener with wires on it, so I'll order one of those tape switches and that'll do me! Appreciate the tip!

Do your auto-garage-door-openers self-lock?

The set-up we have only opens and closes the door. To lock/unlock it, I have to use the mechanical latch system, and the key. Otherwise someone could just open the door manually.

I just went this route. It works from anywhere I have phone service. Chamberlin smart hub. It alerts you when you door is open and closed. Been using it for over a year now.

https://www.myq.com/app

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 34 K miles and counting

Take another look at post #3. This method also can be used to wash dishes and laundry too. That is real adaptive technology.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Take another look at post #3. This method also can be used to wash dishes and laundry too. That is real adaptive technology.
    My wife concurs...........She loves hers. Doesn't do much for me, but oh well

The post #3 solution will leak if not properly cared for over time, and can be more expensive in the long run.

Garage Door Opener options!

Ok, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I saw the mo-door, which was appealing, but already have the garage door opener with wires on it, so I'll order one of those tape switches and that'll do me! Appreciate the tip!
    I reached out to the tapeswitch people, managed to locate a distributor in Canada, and purchased a momentary switch just like that. Switch was $20. Soldered it to the leads on a garage door opener that I opened up, and mounted it just above the audio controls. I'm all set! On to the next farkle...

RK Ryder
    I reached out to the tapeswitch people, managed to locate a distributor in Canada, and purchased a momentary switch just like that. Switch was $20. Soldered it to the leads on a garage door opener that I opened up, and mounted it just above the audio controls. I'm all set! On to the next farkle...
    Same here.

The company has an outlet in my city, maybe ten minutes from the house.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Integrated Garage Door Opener...

Marlen’s comment “on to a next farkle...” hits home.