• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Develops a Zero Maintenance Chain

I just cannot come to grips with it being maintenance free. It must still benifit from occasional cleaning. So, they are alleging that if Grog, the Ace 850 GS rider buries his rear end in a bog, then a sand dune followed by a mud pit, he need not worry about cleaning the chain? And if he does clean it, then I suppose it is okay to use a power washer. How long is the maintenance free chain warranted for? If I buy one for Annie's F800GS will it be warranted for the life of the bike?

Last edited:
I just cannot come to grips with it being maintenance free. It must still benifit from occasional cleaning. So, they are alleging that if Grog, the Ace 850 GS rider buries his rear end in a bog, then a sand dune followed by a mud pit, he need not worry about cleaning the chain? And if he does clean it, then I suppose it is okay to use a power washer. How long is the maintenance free chain warranted for? If I buy one for Annie's F800GS will it be warranted for the life of the bike?

It's been my experience with sweeping and dramatic announcements like this that the large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. Or, in the case of BMW's similar announcements that common sense still applies. So, although this chain may not require regular lubrication, I would agree that it would have to benefit from cleaning in situations like you described.

When the K1 was introduced it was the platform for the new bucket-over-shim 4-valve engine. I have a BMW reprint brochure of a bike-of-the-year review of the K1 by Rider or Motorcyclists (don't recall). Part of the article dove into the new valve train and a BMW *engineer* present at the introduction is quoted as saying BMW made this change because "the valves will never require adjustment". I've concluded that somehow "never" in English from BMW is really a mistranslation for "less often".

BUT, yesterday I realized that BMW is missing the best possible use of this new coating - clutch and drive shaft splines!! How about instead of improving a system (chains and sprockets) which are already very easy to maintain and which people expect to wear out and require replacement you fix a problem that should have never happened in the first place? And one that is a lot of work and/or expense to prevent, and even worse if you let it go? :doh

I am starting the rumour that this marks the first step in BMW's transition away from the trouble prone, expensive and heavy shaft drives to reliable, maintenance free, economical and lightweight chain drives.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I am starting the rumour that this marks the first step in BMW's transition away from the trouble prone, expensive and heavy shaft drives to reliable, maintenance free, economical and lightweight chain drives.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I think that will happen!!! right after the find the other halves of the swing-arms they have been saving for a rainy day .
:whistle
OM

I think that will happen!!! right after the find the other halves of the swing-arms they have been saving for a rainy day .
:whistle
OM

If BMW can do a single-sided belt drive on the F800GT I am sure that they can figure out how to do a single-sided chain drive.

I like it, it is a step forward in durability. but Forever is BS!

Looking at their exploded view it is the roller and roller sleeve that is newly hardened. The X seals have long "oiled" the roller/sleeve/pin interface till the seal failed, water got in and wear happened. This is the main wear mode! Will the diamond coating make the seals last longer??? In my last two chains (Triump and BMW F650GS) that wore out was at this point. Seals failed in a few links, shows up as chain stretch, rust spots, and more rapid front sprocket wear.

Are the BMW Forever chain X seals any better than current??

Another slight improvement but mostly a way to extract more $$

ps I found that current X chains (sealed roller lub) do a very good job of extending sprocket life if the exterior of the chain is kept clean. No aluminum sprockets please!

PS I've conceded that auto chain oilers do not make sense with X chains, just adds oil to make a great dust and dirt magnet to make the sprockets wear faster and get in a make the X seals fail sooner!

pps I like Paul Glaves wd-40 lube solution...lube the X seals so they live longer...keep grit out of them...key to longer chain life

pps I like Paul Glaves wd-40 lube solution...lube the X seals so they live longer...keep grit out of them...key to longer chain life

Being a penetrant, I'm of the opinion, Mr. Glaves solution works as long as the X-seals keep the WD-40 out of the roller bushings.

See Post #18.

As you noted in your post #19 that particular Regina chain while being "maintenance free" is not a motorcycle chain nor is it the type of ta-C chain that is the subject of this thread .

Regina did not issue its press release on its ta-C chain until after BMW made its announcement.

This pretty much guarantees that this chain technology will be available in the aftermarket so we need not pay BMW's inflated price.

Some posters have applied the words " Lifetime" to this chain. Its not a lifetime chain its " Zero Maintenance".
Very different.
It you did get stuck in a mud bog and coated the chain with mud and then rode through a sand dune, common sense would dictate a cleaning would be prudent.
But just going down the Hwy I imagine it is truly Maintenance Free. If I had a chain these days I'd buy one, but Thats just me.
Nick

BMW has alledgedly mastered a no maintenance chain...Excellent.
Now maybe they could turn their attention to a proper side stand.

BMW has alledgedly mastered a no maintenance chain...Excellent.
Now maybe they could turn their attention to a proper side stand.

The side stand on my K75s have all been just fine. All other BMWs had the side stands designed by the intern during Octoberfest.

The side stand on my K75s have all been just fine. All other BMWs had the side stands designed by the intern during Octoberfest.

I have two K75s and one of them leans over far more than the other. So much so that it takes a 1" puck under it to match the lean angle of the other bike. So far I'm not been able to find any "damage" to explain the difference. That bike needs a spline lube so I will have to pull the center/side stand and will investigate more. The side stand on my K1 is fine as is the one on my K1200RS.

I have two K75s and one of them leans over far more than the other. So much so that it takes a 1" puck under it to match the lean angle of the other bike. So far I'm not been able to find any "damage" to explain the difference. That bike needs a spline lube so I will have to pull the center/side stand and will investigate more. The side stand on my K1 is fine as is the one on my K1200RS.

My first guess would be it’s suspension related. A worn shock or spring may not rebound as much when unloaded, resulting in less lean angle.

The F700GS sidestand must have been designed on a good day. I find it is excellent. The only mod I’ve made was a larger SW Motech foot.

Back