• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Develops a Zero Maintenance Chain

That reminds me of my cousin Command Sergeant Major (CSM) Albert C. Huddy. As a young Sergeant in Vietnam he was a rifle squad leader. During a fire fight he was hit multiple times and evacuated to a Battalion aid station. The next day his platoon leader went to the aid station to visit with all his wounded and was told Chuck was dead. He demanded to see Chuck and after much arguing was taken to a tent where the dead were stacked in body bags. He unzipped Chuck’s body bag and immediately saw that Chuck was alive. We in the family learned of this story when his platoon leader, then a retired Colonel, delivered Chuck’s eulogy over 40 years later. Chuck went on to serve a second tour in Vietnam, serve in the Old Guard and as the NCOIC of my father’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery, and later as the CSM of the Old Guard.

Here is the dictionary definition of the word "stretch" as it applies to the elongation of an object:

"(of something soft or elastic) be made or be capable of being made longer or wider without tearing or breaking."

There is an additional definition related to the body and physical exercise, and another additional definition related to an expanse of land. Neither seem applicable to a motorcycle chain.

See: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=define+"stretch"

Well, listed among the numerous Merriam-Webster definitions of "stretch" is this (my emphasis): https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stretch

"1a: to become extended in length or breadth or both".

M-W also has this definition of "elongate": https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elongate

": to extend the length of"

So, while I will acknowledge that describing a worn chain as elongated is technically correct, it is not incorrect to also describe it as stretched, which is also the popular vernacular term. :stick :hide

That reminds me of my cousin Command Sergeant Major (CSM) Albert C. Huddy. As a young Sergeant in Vietnam he was a rifle squad leader. During a fire fight he was hit multiple times and evacuated to a Battalion aid station. The next day his platoon leader went to the aid station to visit with all his wounded and was told Chuck was dead. He demanded to see Chuck and after much arguing was taken to a tent where the dead were stacked in body bags. He unzipped Chuck’s body bag and immediately saw that Chuck was alive. We in the family learned of this story when his platoon leader, then a retired Colonel, delivered Chuck’s eulogy over 40 years later. Chuck went on to serve a second tour in Vietnam, serve in the Old Guard and as the NCOIC of my father’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery, and later as the CSM of the Old Guard.

That is a great story. My hat’s off to your cousin, CSM Huddy.

Well, listed among the numerous Merriam-Webster definitions of "stretch" is this (my emphasis): https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stretch

M-W also has this definition of "elongate": https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elongate

So, while I will acknowledge that describing a worn chain as elongated is technically correct, it is not incorrect to also describe it as stretched, which is also the popular vernacular term. :stick :hide

What is it called when I elongate my stretched chain by adding a link or two? :stick
:)

Best,
DeVern

Not so fast! You have compared the transitive form of one verb with the intransitive form of another verb. This is a clear breach of grammatical form and as such is invalid.

As for the popular vernacular it is common for terms to be popular and totally incorrect. Take for instance how misused the term "CAN-bus" is. You can find thousands of instances of people incorrectly citing the CAN-bus when they should be referring to the ZFE. :nono

Back to chains. We have two G310GS bikes. They have chains. Each has somewhere over 22,000 miles on the original chains. I have two new DID chains in the shop waiting to be needed. They came with the stupid clip master links so I got a few extra rivet style links.

I have NEVER adjusted a chain on these bikes to adjust a chain. One got a tire at 13 K miles and the other got a new tire at 15K miles so with the new tires each had the chains properly set with the new tire and wheel when reinstalling the wheels.

I also have two new rear tires for these bikes in the shop so when I install the new tires I will also install the new chains whether I need to or not.

I live and we ride in a mostly sandy environment where wax and heavy petroleum chain lubes just make really nice grinding compound when the lube and oil mixes with sandy dust. So I basically just clean the chain with WD40 and call it good most of the time. On a trip I may use a light Teflon type chain lube.

I like the new chain advertised in these links. In the 1970s I had a Yamaha RD250 that ate a chain every three to four thousand miles. I couldn't keep it greasy enough. That is not the story today. Stretch, elongate, or wear, chains are not what they used to be.

...I hope that the posters who own a chain driven bike will buy the new chain in order to give it a test. Hopefully, those who do will post a review and tell us the cost, how long it lasted, the maintenance it required, if any, and whether the package indicates the chain need not be maintained.

E.

If the price is not crazy, I will definitely try one of these new no-maintenance chains.

I like the idea of improvements that reduce maintenance workload. Sure, cleaning and lubing the chain isn’t all that much work, especially on the centerstand in my enclosed garage.

But my thinking is this new chain means no maintenance on a long road trip, which means you don’t need to carry cleaner and lube, saving space. No need to install a Scott Oiler, either - - more space and money saved. Plus one less distraction while out recreating - - one less thing to worry about and more time to enjoy the trip.

The problem is my current chain only has 3K miles on it. It will be a while before I need a new one. :thumb

Back to chains. We have two G310GS bikes. They have chains. Each has somewhere over 22,000 miles on the original chains. I have two new DID chains in the shop waiting to be needed. They came with the stupid clip master links so I got a few extra rivet style links.

I have NEVER adjusted a chain on these bikes to adjust a chain. One got a tire at 13 K miles and the other got a new tire at 15K miles so with the new tires each had the chains properly set with the new tire and wheel when reinstalling the wheels.
Ibe.

Paul, I agree with your experience. On my 700, I got anywhere from 25 to 28000 miles per chain. Good riding environment with little sand, but all the rest of the elements from rain to salt fron snow sludge etc. I never adjusted the chain during those intervals either except when changing new tires. But having said that, with years experience working in automobile plant with a chain drag assembly line for moving the car through the process, it was quite obvious that the chain stretched longer over long periods and would require multiple sections of change out. It can be argued that the stretch was from metal wear and not from material stretching, certainly, but the end result was a longer chain that would eventually break. I will be the first to agree with the argument that my MC chain, since I kept it on the loose side , resulted in wear and stretching not being noticeable to the naked eye, and disappeared once I changed to a new tire simply because I had to reinstall the chain upon assembly, but I'm sure there was chain stretch going on during that time period. So to my way of thinking this new chain material simply removes the task of 1000 mile lubrication requirements, which I would have gladly been agreeable with. It also may help eliminate the requires cleaning of my garage floor where small bits of grime infused chain oil drooping ground into the concrete make the floor a mess. My wife would especially be happy about that improvement.😀

Not so fast! You have compared the transitive form of one verb with the intransitive form of another verb. This is a clear breach of grammatical form and as such is invalid.

As for the popular vernacular it is common for terms to be popular and totally incorrect. Take for instance how misused the term "CAN-bus" is. You can find thousands of instances of people incorrectly citing the CAN-bus when they should be referring to the ZFE. :nono

I think we have finally found a new level of distinctions without a difference. We have finally punched through the dreaded oil and tire thread barrier! They said it couldn't be done, but we done it!! :laugh:laugh:laugh

I think we have finally found a new level of distinctions without a difference. We have finally punched through the dreaded oil and tire thread barrier! They said it couldn't be done, but we done it!! :laugh:laugh:laugh

It’s the new version of chain drive hate :D
OM

I also have two new rear tires for these bikes in the shop so when I install the new tires I will also install the new chains whether I need to or not.

I live and we ride in a mostly sandy environment where wax and heavy petroleum chain lubes just make really nice grinding compound when the lube and oil mixes with sandy dust. So I basically just clean the chain with WD40 and call it good most of the time. On a trip I may use a light Teflon type chain lube.

I like the new chain advertised in these links. In the 1970s I had a Yamaha RD250 that ate a chain every three to four thousand miles. I couldn't keep it greasy enough. That is not the story today. Stretch, elongate, or wear, chains are not what they used to be.

I moved away from chains when I bought my first BMW in the early '70's and swore I would never have a chain drive bike again. So far, I have had many BMW shaft drive bikes and have never had any rear drive problems, but for one R100RS which I knew had a spun ring-gear bearing when I bought it, and a K75 with warn rear drive splines I had to have rebuilt just after buying it. The R100RS bearing cost about $100 to fix, and the K75 rear end cost about $500 with a new drive shaft. I still have the K75 30,000 miles later and the splines are like new.

Having said that, I had a chain drive late 90's Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900 triple for three years. It still had the original chain when I bought it at 28,000 miles, and although covered up with excess dried chain lube, once it and the sprockets were fully cleaned, both were in excellent condition with only a small amount of detectable wear. I sold it 3,000 miles later and the chain/sprockets still had a lot of life left.

Still, at a point all chain & sprocket sets must be replaced at an approximate cost of $300 to $400+ for just the parts, plus someone's labor, which could run several hundred dollars more. So, one chain replacement done at a dealer would cost me as much or more than all the rear drive problems I've had with BMW shaft bikes over 50 years. Further, these recurring chain costs are built into the design of the system - at least until some technology like this new BMW chain allows a chain system that can last much longer than even the best chains today.

There are design, performance, and maintenance advantages & disadvantages to both shaft and chain systems, I would buy whatever is the best technology for the bike and the use case. Clearly, chain systems are very low maintenance today and wouldn't stop me from buying a bike that was one I really wanted.

That's a frightening thought. If this pandemic is not over soon, we may have more thread barrier breakthroughs. :laugh:laugh:laugh

It would seem that if the sprocket is not similarly coated, the chain will last and the sprockets will prematurely wear?

E.

It would seem that if the sprocket is not similarly coated, the chain will last and the sprockets will prematurely wear?

E.
The chain has low friction rollers which should reduce wear on the sprockets. If in fact it remains clear of dust and dirt, it should actually increase sprocket life.
That chain is being marketed as a zero maintenance chain, not a lifetime chain. You still have to replace sprockets and chain at 30K if that's what you normally get.
What you gain is on long trips you get to have a brew or two with with your riding buddies instead of doing chain maintenance.
However, it would be interesting to see if having the sprockets coated with the same coating it would yield longer life for both the chain and sprockets.
It would be nice to get the same you get from belts.

Re: Pricing, I just got this from a local BMW dealer:

If you order it with the bike is way cheaper & btw based what the journalist is mentioning, it will cost 661$ CAD with the Sprockets 440$ CAD without!

The M Endurance chain is now available in 525 pitch for the four-cylinder models BMW S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR. The recommended retail price is 286.08 €. The complete chain set including sprocket, chain wheel and small parts costs 425.59 €.

Now what the actual price will be depends what BMW decides. European prices don't always translate directly into NA pricing.

Back