• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Develops a Zero Maintenance Chain

BMW Press Release description of the new chain:

"Munich. For more than 90 years, the maintenance-free, environmentally friendly and comfortable shaft drive has been one of BMW Motorrad's immovable technical cornerstones. With the M Endurance chain, BMW Motorrad now offers a maintenance-free chain with comparable characteristics for the first time.

Like previous X-ring chains, the M Endurance chain has a resident permanent lubricant filling between the rollers and pins, enclosed by X-rings. What is completely new, however, is that the previously necessary additional lubricant addition for the rollers and thus the familiar "chain lubrication" is no longer necessary, nor is any re-tensioning required from time to time due to the usual wear.

This enormous gain in comfort was made possible by using a new coating material for the rollers: tetrahedrally amorphous carbon (ta-C), also known as industrial diamond. This coating is characterized by extreme hardness and resistance and in this respect it is placed between the well-known DLC coating (Diamond Like Carbon) and pure diamond. In contrast to the metal surfaces used so far, the coating with the ta-C industrial diamond does not wear off. At the same time, this type of coating also offers a drastically reduced friction coefficient.

Thanks to excellent dry lubrication properties and the elimination of wear, the tetrahedral amorphous carbon coated rollers of the M Endurance chain offer maintenance comfort equivalent to that of a shaft drive motorcycle. This includes all the cleaning work that is unavoidable with a conventional chain due to splashed lubricant. Accordingly, the M Endurance chain also offers maximum environmental friendliness."

Regina drawing of chain shown in the press release:

P90397349-lowRes.jpg

Why is it when something new and innovative comes along, some folks adopt a negative position on it?

Too many failing final drives, failed gas tank fuel strips, leaking fuel flanges, etc., to believe all of the BMW sales hype you read in new product press release brochures. You can't always believe what you read when the writer is trying to lighten your wallet.

But then, I actually hope that the new chain works well. I hope that the posters who own a chain driven bike will buy the new chain in order to give it a test. Hopefully, those who do will post a review and tell us the cost, how long it lasted, the maintenance it required, if any, and whether the package indicates the chain need not be maintained.

E.

Last edited:
I don't mind lubing my chains once in awhile.

I did 62000 miles on my F700. Went through 2 and was just starting in third when I got tired of the bike and wanted something new. Didn't mind maintaining the chain with the exception when in a long tour, my buddies were in haveing a beer while I was still out oiling the chain. So yes a maintenance free chain is just the thing, and I would certainly go with chain drive over final drive any day of the week, as long as I could get a Horizontally opposed engine too. Love the ergos and ease of picking up my urban R NineT so wouldn't want to go back to a v twin

drive shaft instead or belt drive

I have had bikes with belt drive and shaft drive not counting the present BMW. The BMW drive shaft needs service lots more than the unit on my goldwings did. They required a fluid change every 100,000 miles and I never had one of those fail or need anything else. Drive belts were good for a 100,000 miles as well. I would like for BMW to improve their drive shaft so service intervals were more like the Honda. Other than much shorter servicing intervals there does not see to be lots of things they can improve on.

I don't mind servicing the final drive. 10 mins or less depending on how long you let it drain. Good piece of mind. As to the the chain. I am about due for a new chain on the XR. It is more of a local bike. I tour on the RT. So chain maintenance doesn't interrupt anything. Now if they could come up with a chain that wouldn't stretch I will go all in.

And the result of the wear is a lengthening of the chain; hence the need to adjust the chain to compensate for the longer length. Try measuring a new chain then measure it again at the end of its life.

If that were actually a true statement BMW would in fact be required to provide the fluid free of charge under the Magnusson Moss Act.

No, it's just a formulation. Available several places, including BMW dealers.

Kind of like specifying JASO xx for wet clutch motor oil.

The article says they "elongate". I submit that is a synonym for "stretch". Both mean the chain gets longer. :D

The difference is the mechanism at work.

Stretch refers to getting longer under tension and the material in question undergoes distortion. This is not the mechanism by which chains get longer.

Elongate simply means getting longer which is what happens to chains but it happens due to wear.

Modern x-ring, o-rings chains etc keep their length until the seals fail and then the chain starts wearing faster and requires regular adjustment. Once such a chain starts requiring adjustment it is a sign that it should be replaced soon.

Those of us from the pre-o-ring era tend to over lubricate our chains. The primary benefit of lubricating an o-ring chain is that it extends the life of the o-rings and not so much that the chain lube lube is preventing wear.

The difference is the mechanism at work.

Stretch refers to getting longer under tension and the material in question undergoes distortion. This is not the mechanism by which chains get longer.

Oh great, now the discussion turns to semantics...

Here is the dictionary definition of the word "stretch" as it applies to the elongation of an object:

"(of something soft or elastic) be made or be capable of being made longer or wider without tearing or breaking."

There is an additional definition related to the body and physical exercise, and another additional definition related to an expanse of land. Neither seem applicable to a motorcycle chain.

See: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=define+"stretch"

Sounds amazingly goofy to ask if a person is concerned with “chain elongation” on their motorcycle. :scratch :hungover :uhoh
OM

This is like arguing about whether a guy is expired, deceased or perished, when we all know that he is dead.

Back