• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for R100

ginfante

Hi Everyone! Was hoping to get pointed in the right direction for any shops specializing in R100 rebuilds and/or anyone looking to sell. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Can you be more specific on what you need for rebuilds? Do you have an engine or parts and need work done? What part of the country are you in?

As for sellers, check the usual places...you can also put a wanted ad in the Marketplace using the link at the top of the page. IBMWR Marketplace has also been around for a while...there are a few 1000cc machines in the Airhead section right now:

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/ibmwr-marketplace/browse-ads/165/bikes-for-sale/

R100’s are a good choice. I’m in a slow freshening up of a ‘82 R100. The carbs are off and over at a buddy; who’s rebuilding them. I’m just building a daily rider. Good luck with your project, Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum! Can you be more specific on what you need for rebuilds? Do you have an engine or parts and need work done? What part of the country are you in?

As for sellers, check the usual places...you can also put a wanted ad in the Marketplace using the link at the top of the page. IBMWR Marketplace has also been around for a while...there are a few 1000cc machines in the Airhead section right now:

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/ibmwr-marketplace/browse-ads/165/bikes-for-sale/

Oh yes sorry about that! I’m in the NYC area. Basically looking for shops that specialize in custom R100 builds.

I’ll check the Market place as well! Thanks! Not looking to build myself as I don’t currently have the time (maybe in the future though)

Oh yes sorry about that! I’m in the NYC area. Basically looking for shops that specialize in custom R100 builds.

I’ll check the Market place as well! Thanks! Not looking to build myself as I don’t currently have the time (maybe in the future though)

Try talking to Dick Jones:
Road Runners
8 Forest Ave
Glen Cove NY
516 671-8280

Yes. Dick is an avid motorcyclist and he and his son have a lot of experience rebuilding all kinds of BMW and other European motorcycles.

Westen NY

If you are interested in Western NY, The Beemer Barn may have a lead on a bike. 716 735-3458. Glenn runs a small shop working on airheads. He is a bit of a hoarder and I can't say what he might have on hand. St.

Bikes

Glenn might not have a bike but may well know someone who does. Or, he might be able to restore one for you.

I know one of my friends has a beautiful R 100S. for sale, It was a project bike between the former owner of the Beemer Barn and a customer. Right now it is listed on craigslist. I know the history of the bike very well. A lot of love and polish went into it with no cost spared. Last I knew, you got the bike with all the modifications as well as all the stock parts replaced. Pictures really don't do it justice.

Fellow who has it is Jim Sylvia, at Airhead Restorations. So Here is a link to his site. The bike is for sale regardless of the web site.https://www.airheadrestorations.com/motorcycle/bmw-1978-s/. Or,https://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/d/buffalo-1978-bmw-r100s/7185726617.html, if I could get it in the garage without the Mrs, seeing it, I would buy it myself.

Hope I am not breaking any forum rule here. Kurt will keep me in line if I am, he does a good job of minding the forum and us nuts who write on it. Cheerio, St.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I got SUPER lucky and found a 1982 RS100 near me in amazing condition. Going to pick it up this Friday. Will start planning the customizations as soon as I get it..

Picked it up today! Amazing condition. Will likely fix up carburetor.
IMG_6618.jpg

62094073064__4A66BF8B-0561-43CE-AD9A-A51CB8C33C29.jpg

Attachments

• 577952E4-25C3-4179-AFE5-A5E7199CF21A.jpeg
    577952E4-25C3-4179-AFE5-A5E7199CF21A.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 08420379-80D4-4538-BDE2-D7FE4D9C9F3F.jpeg
    08420379-80D4-4538-BDE2-D7FE4D9C9F3F.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Further on

Nice looking bike you have. Kurt the moderator hears all the time about sideways pictures and such in the forum. At least they are there.

So now you have it, are you going to keep it stock or are you going for a custom cafe or scrambler style bike?

There are lots of places on line who supply all kinds of parts for all three variants you choose.

Enjoy, St.

Nice looking bike you have. Kurt the moderator hears all the time about sideways pictures and such in the forum. At least they are there.

So now you have it, are you going to keep it stock or are you going for a custom cafe or scrambler style bike?

There are lots of places on line who supply all kinds of parts for all three variants you choose.

Enjoy, St.

Oh no! I uploaded through my mobile! I’ll adjust the photos to landscape when I get to my computer!

But yea! I’m going to turn it into a scrambler! Im going to replace this carburetor first! Any recommendations, send them my way!

Carbs

For BMW airheads pretty much you have the three player for carb upgrades or use. The stock Bings do work very well and are very reliable. Delorto carbs were found on the R90S bikes and like the Bings are relatable and work well. They do have the additional feature of having an accelerator pump built in unlike the Bings. This gives you a touch more oomph when you get on the throttle. There are sources for modification kits on line for converting Bing to Delorto. The next preferred is Mikuni carbs. Again, they are reliable, and like the Delortos they have an accelerator pump as well. Scan the internet and you will find information on what is needed to change over from the Bings to them.

There is a great amount of discussion over the years in many forums as to how to hop up a bike or what parts to use. You will have a great time looking stuff up.

The only thing I can say is beware who you take advice and tips from. There are established people on the forums who know what they are doing and will steer you in the right direction. Sadly, there are just as many if not more who think they know what they are doing, and in fact don't, produce cobbled up nightmare bikes and then stick them on unsuspecting souls.

In my years of belonging to BMWMOA and interacting with the airheads forum, I have found the members and contributors very knowledgeable and honest. One of my best sources of information. As a member, you have access to airhead friendly shops, and parts suppliers. While I cannot vet each shop, I have found that anyone who advertises in the MOA is good to deal with. Jerks and crooks aren't tolerated.

Have fun on your build, have more fun riding it when it is done. St.

Back