• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Convex mirror for a wethead RT

blkb1rd

Greetings all
Not sure if this has been discussed… I looked around on the net and didn't find anything… has anyone put any type of convex mirror on the R12RT w

Tom Casey
16 R1200RT (still not named)
75 R75/6 ole yeller

U might try a Hercules auxiliary blind spot mirror. Designed for small cars. I used them on my K100RT; worked great for me.

I put a brand called Safer View on my R1200RT WC. They were sold by Wunderlich overseas for awhile but I bought mine from Motoworks. Bob's BMW has what I'm talking about for the K1600GT V https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/safer-view-mirror-glass-set-for-bmw-k1600gt---gold.

I got mine from Motoworks.co.uk.

I found the following information in my program that I use to keep notes.

Safer View gold mirror

Right Motorworks FAA20301 - mfw motorcycle products 20141-401
Left FAA20401 - mfw motorcycle products 20141-301

www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php
www.mfw-wolf.de

convex mirrors

Greetings all
Not sure if this has been discussed… I looked around on the net and didn't find anything… has anyone put any type of convex mirror on the R12RT w

Tom Casey
16 R1200RT (still not named)
75 R75/6 ole yeller

Hornig sells mirror inserts with a convex piece in it separated by a thin vertical line. they just glue on top of the OEM mirrors. i installed them on mine. They work great and look factory. just like the OEM on the K bikes. About $150 shipped

Hornig sells mirror inserts with a convex piece in it separated by a thin vertical line. they just glue on top of the OEM mirrors. i installed them on mine. They work great and look factory. just like the OEM on the K bikes. About $150 shipped

OHHHH, I like the looks of those! Looks like they would be a nice upgrade from the little circular ones I presently have.

The Horning web page says that they are "glued on". Is there a self-adhesive backing on them or does one have to smear Elmers/JB Weld/Gorilla Glue on the existing mirror surface?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
U might try a Hercules auxiliary blind spot mirror. Designed for small cars. I used them on my K100RT; worked great for me.

The reason I liked these mirrors were they set on top of the oem mirrors. U had full use of the oem mirror and the convex mirror was large enough to give me complete confidence in what I was seeing in it’s range.

mirror mounting

OHHHH, I like the looks of those! Looks like they would be a nice upgrade from the little circular ones I presently have.

The Horning web page says that they are "glued on". Is there a self-adhesive backing on them or does one have to smear Elmers/JB Weld/Gorilla Glue on the existing mirror surface?

Thanks for the info!

They come each with a tube of special glue and detailed instructions of where to place the glue. Then they are just placed onto the existing glass.They fit perfectly and one cannot tell that there two pieces of glass glued together. You just stabilize them with some tape (painters frog tape, etc. Easily removable) and 24 hrs later you're done:)

These are great and cheap and stay put with their self-adhesive swivel base. I have had them on for 44.3K miles in the upper inner corner of each wethead oem mirror and they are completely effective as blind spot mirrors. https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Blind...0383&sprefix=2"+HD+glass+blind,aps,199&sr=8-1
IMG-0665.jpg

I tried those little stick-on mirrors for a while. I found they easily moved out of adjustment and I was too often messing with them on the fly. Off they came. I may consider the Hornig mirror inserts.

Sounds like I'm an outlier here but my experience with stick-on wide view mirrors is that they're not worth the trouble. They are, without exception IMO too convex: they look good on a card in the store, but they shrink the image so much it's useless. I've settled on adjusting my mirrors so that as the back of a car disappears from the mirror the front is either already in my peripheral vision or I can see it with just a slight head movement. Situational awareness keeps me from situations where I'm surprised by finding a car in, or emerging from, my blind spot.

But the really important thing I learned about mirrors long ago was "Mirrors can tell you no, but only your eyes can tell you yes", so I always do a head check before changing lanes. If I can't do a head check, I don't change.

Each to their own and everyone has their own preference. But I am saying before you spend that money be sure you would like that style. I did not bother to look at the price of them but I bet they are expensive.

$120 at Sierra BMW. I'll mount then with tape and give them a road test before doing anything permanent. Sierra has a friendly return policy.

Sounds like I'm an outlier here but my experience with stick-on wide view mirrors is that they're not worth the trouble. They are, without exception IMO too convex: they look good on a card in the store, but they shrink the image so much it's useless..

Can't relate to that analysis whatsoever. For 44K miles now 2" convex glass mirrors have provided a reliable view as traffic approaches and by the time the leading edge of traffic has reached the OEM mirror I can still see the tail end of that traffic in the convex mirror--I could not have engineered them better to accomplished what was desired in a blind spot mirror. In areas where there is zero potential for ingress from an onramp, side road, another lane outside the ones next to me I rely on the blind spot mirror and change lanes w/o turning my head. When you turn your head fully enough to see what's behind you, you've lost contact w/ the front view and at say 60mph you've travelled a good 80 feet if you make you head turn quickly, whereas w/ the micro-glance or two at the blind spot mirror I've never taken my FULL view off the road and the glance is really in fractions of a second, so I'll happily trade that risk when conditions warrant.

I've used 1 1/2" and 2" blind spot mirrors and they do work, but I prefer the wedge types. The problem I have with the round mirrors is that they show you every direction, when all you need is the view to the side. I don't need to see the sky, the ground, or my bike. Squeezing all that extra stuff into the already small circle means only a quarter of the view is useful. The wedge type is basically a section of 4"- 6" mirror that shows just the important area, so the image is bigger and easier to interpret.

71HzpjX3eQL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I've used 1 1/2" and 2" blind spot mirrors and they do work, but I prefer the wedge types. The problem I have with the round mirrors is that they show you every direction, when all you need is the view to the side. I don't need to see the sky, the ground, or my bike. Squeezing all that extra stuff into the already small circle means only a quarter of the view is useful. The wedge type is basically a section of 4"- 6" mirror that shows just the important area, so the image is bigger and easier to interpret.

71HzpjX3eQL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Thanks, make sense. Can you display a photo with one of these on your oem mirrors?

Thanks, make sense. Can you display a photo with one of these on your oem mirrors?

:blush:heh Actually, no.
After about eight years the adhesive gave up and I lost them. Currently I'm using the 2" round mirrors because at the time I had a set in my garage junk box. I'm reminded why I don't like them, but have not taken the time to replace them.

FWIW, the upper inside corners of the stock mirror is the best placement for me. When angled so I can see the lane behind me, the inside half of the Hexhead main mirror is just reflecting the handlebar and bike, so the blind spot mirror is not using valuable real estate. This strictly a personal decision, as the results depend entirely on where your head is in relation to the mirror. It's affected by your height, arm length, seating position, etc., which is why some people can't stand the stock mirrors and others have no problem.

Back