• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

96 1100RS Fairing fasteners

flydad

Getting familiar with my “new” 96 R1100RS. Danger, learning curve ahead!
So she needed a new battery. “Remove Left fairing half.” Then read clutch adjustment processes. “Adjustment is accessible from the right side of the bike.” Put all fasteners in a small box on the floor. Kicked the box over. 😟😖. Trying to remember what goes where and what is now missing.
It seems there are push-in or quarter turn fasteners along the top edge of the fairing lower. There are assorted machine screws along the front edges and around the cylinder. At the rear of the fairing, where it joins the back side trim is WHAT? I have what looks like a big sheet metal screw on one side and who knows on the other. Parts counted, I have ONE of the quarter turn fasteners sitting in the box. That’s not right! I have scoured the web for “BMW fasteners “ but can’t seem to locate a kit with these silly little quarter turn gizmos. Help!

David

I am not sure if the '96 remained like the '94 but a '94 R1100RS has one each side:

3 dzus (1/4 turn) fasteners at the top edge at the tank
1 dzus fastener at the rear of the panel
1 Phillips head screw up under the front of the fuel tank
1 small Phillips head screw into the rear of the fuel tank

That is just the side panels. If you also take off the little fairing panels there are some very small Allen head capscrews (maybe 3mm wrench size).

If the bike is an RSL with lowers surrounding the cylinders there is added hardware down there.

I got my 98 RS used, so don’t know if it came this way new, or the previous owner added them, but my dzeus-ish fasteners had rubber retaining rings on the back side. If they weren’t factory, they were made by cutting slices from rubber vacuum tubing and slipping these “donuts” over the screws when they were in place. This made a self-retaining washer to keep the fasteners from falling out of the panels.

Most of mine had split from age and needed replaced. So watch for that in a few years.

I got my 98 RS used, so don’t know if it came this way new, or the previous owner added them, but my dzeus-ish fasteners had rubber retaining rings on the back side. If they weren’t factory, they were made by cutting slices from rubber vacuum tubing and slipping these “donuts” over the screws when they were in place. This made a self-retaining washer to keep the fasteners from falling out of the panels.

Most of mine had split from age and needed replaced. So watch for that in a few years.

They came with a similar o-ring originally (mine had some that were rotting when I got it). I have made some replacements as you suggested from small cross sections of rubber tubing.

I wondered. Thanks. I expected something was there, but didn’t think BMW would use something as simple as the sliced rubber tube on mine.

Back