• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Indianapolis 500 is on tomorrow 8-23-2020

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Time seems fouled up with the pandemic. Instead of May, the Indy 500 will run tomorrow at 2:30 eastern. There is a race pre-show just before.
I saw some qualifying...... 240 miles per hour :eek

:burnout

OM

And the fast guys don't lift (take foot off accelerator) for the corners.

A lot of them used to come up through the sprint car ranks, where the motto is “Never look, never lift.” :eek

Qualifying speeds have been high, it’s going to be 100F along much of the Wasatch front, sounds like skipping the Sunday ride and watching the 500 is a good plan. :thumb

DeVern

I really like the technology as much as anything. There is a lot going on at 12,000 rpm. Is the valve open or closed?
OM

It is a wonder that anything works at that rpm. :thumb Valve action at 100 times a second more or less boggles the mind.

We have four valve train Spintron machines at the engine shop where I work. The valve train is spun with 75 hp 440 volt motors. We use high speed video on the valves & valve springs. It'a amazing that it last one lap let alone 500 plus miles.

We have four valve train Spintron machines at the engine shop where I work. The valve train is spun with 75 hp 440 volt motors. We use high speed video on the valves & valve springs. It'a amazing that it last one lap let alone 500 plus miles.

Yeah. I imagine that the metallurgy has to be spot on to have it last a minute.
OM

If you happen to notice the wreckers/knuckle-boom trucks working the track are from Guiffre Bros out of Milwaukee, great people to do business with.
I bought a boom-truck from them a while back. Probably the best “big-ticket” buying experience I ever had :thumb
OM

So now we are at 166 valve actions per second. My calculator can compute that but my mind fails to grasp it.

Think what was going thru the minds of the BSA and Triumph engineers in the early 1960's when Honda was fielding road racers with 14,000-RPM engines

https://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/1962.html#RC110

Metallurgy and minimizing mass to avoid valve float and other "lost to history" terms.

Honestly, the earlyy 60's was a period of incredible advancement for the Japanese and their customers

I think current MotoGP engines run to 16000-18000 rpm. Except for Ducati, the valves are closed by stored air pressure. Ducati being desmodromic, of course. So no valve springs, then.

Back