• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NHTSA Issues Recall for Leaking Front Brakes

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

I can't believe BMW was gullible enough to swallow Hays corporate sales pitch to use them as a supplier instead of Brembo. Anything to save a few euros, and now it's an ongoing issue that's damaged their reputation yet again. More that a few owners are saying "f*ck Hays" and switching back to Brembo calipers, which solves the problem once and for all. I don't care if someone here works for Hays and calls me "un-American" and insults my mother. I can't speak to their automotive applications, but as far as motorcycles are concerned, I've never been impressed with their brake products. I won't buy a new BMW as long as they continue to use Hays as a supplier. I would hope BMW has gotten burned enough that they would change vendors. Time will tell.

Yes, I suppose as long as it doesn't affect their sales, then they have no incentive to change. Makes you wonder what it would take. My Japanese model riding friends think you have to be nuts to own a BMW. "Bring More Wrenches" one keeps reminding me! :dunno

Bring more wallet

Yes, I suppose as long as it doesn't affect their sales, then they have no incentive to change. Makes you wonder what it would take. My Japanese model riding friends think you have to be nuts to own a BMW. "Bring More Wrenches" one keeps reminding me! :dunno

"Bring Moar Wallet"

I will inspect mine

I will inspect mine this weekend. I ride my bike nearly every day and started doing my own maintenance. For more than a decade I reconstructed traffic accidents. One of the things that comes up quite often are recalls and manufacturing defects. There are quite a lot of recalls regarding products of all kinds. I am more interested in how well a company stands behind their product.

I have had experience with one of these recalls. My first motorcycle from BMW had issues that my dealer corrected. That motorcycle was destroyed when I was hit by a drunk driver. When my insurance company came up with funds to replace my motorcycle I replaced it with the exact same model except a year newer. My new bike is subject to the recall. I have faith in my dealer to take care of what is needed.

I did find it bothersome that at least one poster had his bike in for repairs that did not seem to be done properly. I hope he is able to get it fixed properly and under a warranty/recall issue. He might need to see a different dealer.

The more I work on this bike the more impressed I am with the engineering behind it. As I put more miles on it in all kinds of weather I appreciate the design more and the excellent weather protection.

My previous brand for two motorcycles was Honda and I had several things fixed under warranty. I believe all brands have issues that come up. The big thing that makes them worth while is how well things get taken care of and how well the dealer network stands behind them.

Routine service

I took my bike in for a quick 600 mile service, I told the dealer I had changed the engine oil and final drive oil (he was fine with that), hour and half later “ your bike is ready, we changed your front calipers and bleed the front brakes “, I said “ I hadn’t notice they were leaking. He said they had been told to change calipers if there was the slightest signs of brake fluid.

I have ridden for a couple of days, and the calipers are as dry as the Sahara.
No complaints from me.

It would be a good deal if people with bad brakes could get BMW to give them a discount to have the Hayes brake calipers replaced with Brembo calipers.

I wonder if Brembo makes cams? :whistle

E.

I tried

So my 1250RT was delivered to me by the dealer, we had discussed the caliper issues and they gave my bike an extra inspection. Rolled it from the truck into garage, three days later my right caliper is just leaking all over the place having never been ridden yet! I was very bummed and the of course came and got the bike stat and brought it back to the dealer for repair, I offered to pay to upgrade to Brembos but couldn't get that accomplished. They replaced both front calipers and they have been fine so far but I'd still rather have Brembos like my 1250R

So my 1250RT was delivered to me by the dealer, we had discussed the caliper issues and they gave my bike an extra inspection. Rolled it from the truck into garage, three days later my right caliper is just leaking all over the place having never been ridden yet! I was very bummed and the of course came and got the bike stat and brought it back to the dealer for repair, I offered to pay to upgrade to Brembos but couldn't get that accomplished. They replaced both front calipers and they have been fine so far but I'd still rather have Brembos like my 1250R

This is from my post earlier, contact him and see what happens, he's been very helpful. :

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

Back