• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NHTSA Issues Recall for Leaking Front Brakes

boborgail

Here's the official recall for BMW bikes with leaking front brakes.

There's also a "stop-sale" in effect for bikes in inventory covered by the recall.

Attachments

• NHTSA_Safety_Issues.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 82
  • RCMN-20V476-7324.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 79
I had my R1200RT in for a brake flush today. No R1250RTs on the floor. I asked about it and was told thet were all hidden away, waiting for the recall to be done before they could be sold. I had forgotten about the recall until I asked.

This has been a bad dream since I first wanted the RT. I put money down in January on a hold-over 2019 that was leaking on the showroom floor. They wouldn't release the bike for sale until they had a repair kit fix. After 2 months of excuses and delays, I had enough and got my deposit back and got a 2020 at a different dealer. I was told my new 2020 bike didn't have this issue before I purchased it and as soon as I got home with it, it was leaking. I did file a report with the NHTSA then. At the 600 mile service they installed the FIX of new seals in the calipers. Fast forward 4 months and they still leak. Just took it in for the 6K service with visible fluid on the rim (That I showed to the service writer) and told the service writer about the recall I had just been notified that morning by e-mail from NHTSA, he told me "We know all about the service bulletins" and blew me off. After the service was done a different service writer tells me my brakes/calipers were good. I asked him what about the fluid all over the rim??? A deer in the headlight moment later I show him the front rim and he was shocked and said he'd have the mechanic check them out, ridiculous!!! Then I was told they will send pictures to BMW and get me new calipers to install free of charge. This is my first BMW and it may be my last.

Steve

Last edited:
A lot of current production products have come with an “inconvenience package”....... It’s not just BMW motorcycles. I work on a lot of mechanical systems, from chillers to cool a building to 350KW generators and pretty much everything in the middle.
This is all top name equipment with the same thread of problems- over complicated with outsourced parts. It seems that there is a canyon between the designers and the end user.
The good thing about BMW is the 3/36 warranty. Last I knew, it was the longest in the industry, save for some goodwill work like the Goldwing frame issue.
Like some of the other “big” issues BMW has had, they will get everyone through it.
OM

This has been a bad dream since I first wanted the RT. I put money down in January on a hold-over 2019 that was leaking on the showroom floor. They wouldn't release the bike for sale until they had a repair kit fix. After 2 months of excuses and delays, I had enough and got my deposit back and got a 2020 at a different dealer. I was told my new 2020 bike didn't have this issue before I purchased it and as soon as I got home with it, it was leaking. I did file a report with the NHTSA then. At the 600 mile service they installed the FIX of new seals in the calipers. Fast forward 4 months and they still leak. Just took it in for the 6K service with visible fluid on the rim (That I showed to the service writer) and told the service writer about the recall I had just been notified that morning by e-mail from NHTSA, he told me "We know all about the service bulletins" and blew me off. After the service was done a different service writer tells me my brakes/calipers were good. I asked him what about the fluid all over the rim??? A deer in the headlight moment later I show him the front rim and he was shocked and said he'd have the mechanic check them out, ridiculous!!! Then I was told they will send pictures to BMW and get me new calipers to install free of charge. This is my first BMW and it maybe my last.

Steve

Your experience is the kind of crap I would expect from the dealers near Phoenix. Did you consider bringing your bike down to Tucson for service?

Every time I hear a horror story about a dealership I really want to know which one is being talked about. Knowing who to avoid is a service to the community as long as the information is accurate and correct.

Last edited:
brake issues (my experience)

I took delivery of my 2020 RT 719 on 21 March 2020 as part of the BMW special offer campaign for unhappy K1600 owners, which included the 719 option and a free topcase w/brakelight and the brown seat (which I am swapping out for new a RDL all leather sport seat system described in another post). When BMW of Burbank in CA opened the crate they noticed brake fluid on the left caliper and on the rim which was damaged by the fluid. They so advised me.
Before I ever took delivery and without further discussion they replaced both calipers with the new version from Hayes which had just become available AND they replaced the entire front wheel (new bearings, etc).
I have driven the vehicle over 4K miles in the interim without any trace of a problem.
So after 3 (three) water pumps on my K1600GTL and continuous unresolved problems on my K1600B/GA with instability AND front brake pulsation, not to mention the ridiculous speed governor at 105 mph (really!! 160HP 6 cyclinders good for 105 mph!!!), I now seem to have a bike that actually does what the literature describes.
Knock On Wood...

I had my R1200RT in for a brake flush today. No R1250RTs on the floor. I asked about it and was told thet were all hidden away, waiting for the recall to be done before they could be sold. I had forgotten about the recall until I asked.

It is not really a recall as more of an "inspection", according to BMW. We kept the RT's in full view on the showroom floor (one on the floor and one remained as a demo).

It is not really a recall as more of an "inspection", according to BMW. We kept the RT's in full view on the showroom floor (one on the floor and one remained as a demo).

It is in fact an NHTSA recall:

NHTSA Statement
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that dealers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any used vehicles in your inventory subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.

Back