• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dunlop SportMax Roadsmart IV Arrives

exgman

A newer version of the Dunlop Roadsmart III is now available. See: https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/sportmax-roadsmart-iv/

Advertising says there's no need to look for a "GT" version of the tire:

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.27.01 PM.png

Put on a set of RS III's a few months ago on the 2012 R1200RT and now have 4600 commuter miles on them.
They seem quite stiff / heavy and after using Michelin PR 4 and 5 GT's, I would consider the Dunlop RS III's already a GT tire.

My riding style and nose heavy bike wear out the front tire faster than the rear, even with the GT tires. Have wanted to try using a GT on the front and a standard rear to get them to both hit the wear bars at about the same time.

Put on a set of RS III's a few months ago on the 2012 R1200RT and now have 4600 commuter miles on them.
They seem quite stiff / heavy and after using Michelin PR 4 and 5 GT's, I would consider the Dunlop RS III's already a GT tire.

A friend left on a trip a few days ago with new Road Smart IV tires. He has used several sets of the 3.
Here's a copy of his comments.
Darrell’s comments - Comparing to the Roadsmart III the tires (especially the front) seem more compliant (softer feel) to road surface imperfections such as expansion joints or cracks in the pavement. I sense the bike has a sharper turn in on corners but will comment on this further after I get some time in the Black Hills this week and the Colorado Rockies a few days from now. With the high temps and sun causing warm road surfaces the tires do allow the bike to move on any tar snakes running parallel to the line of travel, but no different than the Roadsmart III. My initial reaction on tire wear is surprising considering the heat, speed and flatter roads I’ve been riding on.

I noticed the comment about the new tire seeming to lean into corners more easily. Regardless of the tire brand/model that is almost always true when a new nicely round or oval section tire replaces one that has had the center flattened by use.

I noticed the comment about the new tire seeming to lean into corners more easily. Regardless of the tire brand/model that is almost always true when a new nicely round or oval section tire replaces one that has had the center flattened by use.

He was comparing to new Roadsmart III tires. Darrell has worn out at least nine sets of Roadsmart III, so he's very familiar with them.

Following.

I'm currently on my third set of Continental Road Attack 3, and I love them. I tried the Roadsmart 3, and found them to be too turney-iny at low speeds, like in stop and go traffic. Otherwise, I really liked the Roadsmart 3s.

I'm excited to hear more about the Roadsmart 4.

Back