• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Product to help ward off dehydration

I use something similar to the Motojug, it's only a half gallon (which is still a lot; I often arrive at my destination with water left in the jug). No electrolyte replacement strategy but I don't sweat a lot either. I've found it's much better to sip a bit now and again than stop every hour and down a bottle of water; what happens to me is that not too long after I drink a bottle of water, I have to stop and pee half of it out. Better for me to constantly hydrate in small increments.

You'd think people would notice that folks been not only living but thriving in extreme conditions before now.

I think that is because those living like that have acclimated to the conditions. I thought the thread was focused on conditions that changed ones “normal” conditions.
If I was to go to Florida at this time of year, I would need something to get me through....... probably stronger than electrolytes. :wave
OM

Actually, staying hydrated starts the day before. What you're drinking today is what your body will rely on to stay hydrated tomorrow. What you drink tomorrow will help replenish, but if you don't completely hydrate the day before, your body won't be able to absorb hydration quickly enough to keep from becoming dehydrated.

You are right that is does start the day before.

You'd think people would notice that folks been not only living but thriving in extreme conditions before now.

Phoenix was a blip on the radar in population, UNTIL the state brought water to the valley and built dams to catch the snow melt. And air conditioning was invented. The extreme conditions of the valley of the sun prevented large population densities without the water to sustain the population growth.

Nobody was "thriving" in the extreme heat of the desert back in the day.

I add Vega Sport Hydrator to my travelling water. It is berry flavoured with electrolytes, vitamin C and no sugar.

I think that is because those living like that have acclimated to the conditions. I thought the thread was focused on conditions that changed ones “normal” conditions.
If I was to go to Florida at this time of year, I would need something to get me through....... probably stronger than electrolytes. :wave
OM
An Eskimo is normally acclimated to hydrating with water. Put him on a plane for Scottsdale, AZ and in August heat of 100F he will hydrate just fine on............. water. He or she will have to drink more of it to account for greater loss to perspiration and figure out a way to have access to enough of it at the proper time and to protect the body while allowing evaporative cooling of sweat to do it's job. It's that simple. I want to emphasize doing things to ward off dehydration not drinking additives to ward off dehydration. I agree that if the body is allowed to become severely dehydrated than just catching up on water may not be enough. Other measures may be needed when the body is in distress.

If the purpose of the Eskimo's trip to AZ was to ride a motorcycle to New Orleans and complete a Bun Burner 1500, then he might carry a 1 gallon cooler with 50/50 ice and liquid water. It fits on the pillion seat or he makes a holder to place it on the pillion foot peg. He'd have a hose with a bite valve accessible while riding and protective clothing to ward off the blast of 100F wind at interstate speeds. That wind across bare or mesh covered skin removes water from the Eskimo or any human far quicker than he can drink to replace it, so he covers up to protect his body and allow evaporative cooling of sweat to work like it is designed to do. Like his Beaudoin friend from north Africa or the middle East, who has learned to cover up completely in the heat of the desert, the Eskimo is doing things to ward off dehydration. Because he does not want to stop every half hour to pee, he pulls 5 long times on the water hose every 15 minutes and sees how the first tank of gas goes. He is drinking plenty to start with but he has to monitor his urine output to make sure he is not on the path to dehydration. If his urine is clear but he had a hard time holding his urine for 3 hours, the next tank of gas he takes 4 pulls off the hose four times an hour and observes how his body handles the next three hours. Perhaps the magic amount of hourly intake for him is 3 measured pulls every 15 minutes. As the day heats up he may have to increase intake until the cool of the evening and he arrives in New Orleans after 22 hours in what to him are abnormal conditions compared to back home.

If one's belief is that minerals and additives are needed in the water then let it be so. In the described quantities they won't hurt but far more important is not getting dehydrated in the first place.

Agreed.

A person just has to love a group that can't even agree on how to drink water. ;)

I was going to give my suggestion, but decided I didn't feel like reading how someone disagreed with me, so instead, I'll just "hang up and listen".;)

An Eskimo is normally acclimated to hydrating with water. Put him on a plane for Scottsdale, AZ and in August heat of 100F he will hydrate just fine on............. water. He or she will have to drink more of it to account for greater loss to perspiration and figure out a way to have access to enough of it at the proper time and to protect the body while allowing evaporative cooling of sweat to do it's job. It's that simple. I want to emphasize doing things to ward off dehydration not drinking additives to ward off dehydration. I agree that if the body is allowed to become severely dehydrated than just catching up on water may not be enough. Other measures may be needed when the body is in distress.

If the purpose of the Eskimo's trip to AZ was to ride a motorcycle to New Orleans and complete a Bun Burner 1500, then he might carry a 1 gallon cooler with 50/50 ice and liquid water. It fits on the pillion seat or he makes a holder to place it on the pillion foot peg. He'd have a hose with a bite valve accessible while riding and protective clothing to ward off the blast of 100F wind at interstate speeds. That wind across bare or mesh covered skin removes water from the Eskimo or any human far quicker than he can drink to replace it, so he covers up to protect his body and allow evaporative cooling of sweat to work like it is designed to do. Like his Beaudoin friend from north Africa or the middle East, who has learned to cover up completely in the heat of the desert, the Eskimo is doing things to ward off dehydration. Because he does not want to stop every half hour to pee, he pulls 5 long times on the water hose every 15 minutes and sees how the first tank of gas goes. He is drinking plenty to start with but he has to monitor his urine output to make sure he is not on the path to dehydration. If his urine is clear but he had a hard time holding his urine for 3 hours, the next tank of gas he takes 4 pulls off the hose four times an hour and observes how his body handles the next three hours. Perhaps the magic amount of hourly intake for him is 3 measured pulls every 15 minutes. As the day heats up he may have to increase intake until the cool of the evening and he arrives in New Orleans after 22 hours in what to him are abnormal conditions compared to back home.

If one's belief is that minerals and additives are needed in the water then let it be so. In the described quantities they won't hurt but far more important is not getting dehydrated in the first place.

Several doctors have told me everyone who lives in Az. in the summer months is dehydrated to some extent. I run on light dehydration at all times myself. Can't be avoided in the heat of the desert.

Given that dehydration tomorrow is likely to begin today, or so I just read, that means I should drink plenty of water this evening. I think some good Scotch would be the proper additive to ward of dehydration tomorrow.:nono

Given that dehydration tomorrow is likely to begin today, or so I just read, that means I should drink plenty of water this evening. I think some good Scotch would be the proper additive to ward of dehydration tomorrow.:nono

Why wait until this evening...the responsible thing would be to start early. :)

I found and ordered a couple of 90 degree bend bite valves that will make it feasible to drink and drive...water. The straight style CamelBak bite valve was not working with the full face chin bar.

At the first aid station at the Salt Lake City rally I was informed that drinking only water would not be effective in avoiding dehydration.

Harry

I found and ordered a couple of 90 degree bend bite valves that will make it feasible to drink and drive...water. The straight style CamelBak bite valve was not working with the full face chin bar.

At the first aid station at the Salt Lake City rally I was informed that drinking only water would not be effective in avoiding dehydration.

Harry
That's a statement that requires some qualification. If a person is drinking enough water and has been eating a healthy diet then they will avoid dehydration. If they have not been doing this and are already in distress then water probably alone is not adequate.

I add Vega Sport Hydrator to my travelling water. It is berry flavoured with electrolytes, vitamin C and no sugar.

Not being someone who really enjoys the taste of water, I turned to the additive quoted above. The fact that it has no sugar and electrolytes is an added bonus.

That's a statement that requires some qualification. If a person is drinking enough water and has been eating a healthy diet then they will avoid dehydration. If they have not been doing this and are already in distress then water probably alone is not adequate.

I have ridden thousands of miles in very hot and humid weather, eating a healthy diiet and drinking only water from my camelbaks. I agree with the above statement as I've never experienced dehydration. However what holds true for some may not be the same experience for everyone.

Did I mention that I really don't appreciate the taste of water? :)

Back